My second custom screw-back square, DW5030 build
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: My second custom screw-back square, DW5030 build

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My second custom screw-back square, DW5030 build

Hello again friends, I figured I'd start a thread to show my latest custom build. This one may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I'm quite pleased with the results. Plus, once I had the idea in my head, I had to give it a shot and see how it turned out.

This build was inspired by recent threads of members building DW5030's from parts. These threads caught my attention, and the parts were readily available, so I decided to go ahead and build my second screw-back square. However, knowing me, you guys know I couldn't leave well enough alone, and I just had to figure out a way to make this build unique to me.

As many of you know, my first square was the custom GW5000. I love the way this model flies under the radar, having a feeling of great quality (dare I say luxury), while looking just like any other square G-Shock to the untrained eye. Well, for this build I wanted to do something different. I wanted to showcase the best attribute of the watch, the thing that made it special, the all metal case. That's when I got the idea, What if I removed the lettering the same way I did on the GW5000, but this time instead of making it stealth, it exposed the metal, displaying the case that made this watch such a cool piece to me.

Well this idea led to the next logical question, which resin would be the best to showcase the metal case for this project? The obvious answer was clear or jelly. However having very limited knowledge of squares, I had to research and find out which models had resin that would fit the bill. In this research, I stumbled across the Ocean Grey DW5025, a model that I was previously unaware of. I was immediately struck by the way the resin on this model allowed you to view the case beneath, and knew it was the ideal one for this build. Plus the mirror module was the perfect one to match the exposed metal I intended to leave showing in the case. I was lucky enough to find one with a good bezel for a good price on Ebay, so I snatched it up and waited for my DW5030 parts to arrive from pacparts.

Now, finally to the point. First I removed the glass from the 5030 case center, which was actually a beast of a job because unbeknownst to me it was glued to the case. After removing the glass, the case was in pretty decent shape beneath, but I decided to give it a bit of polishing to complete the look. I used a dremel, and started with 6 micron diamond paste, followed by 3, then 1, and finally with Semichrome metal polish until I was happy with the look. Then, I replaced the glass with one that I removed all the graphics from with a razor blade and alcohol. Now, all that was left to do was slap it all together, utilizing the mirror module from the 5025. I also painted the lettering on the bezel with testors metallic silver to match, and swapped the keeper and clasp with that of the 5030.

So, here it is. Its really hard to get this one to show up well in pictures, given its reflectiveness. I tried to take some shots in different light to represent how it actually looks, but still it looks better to me in person in my opinion

Like I said, its not for everyone, and I'm sure that there's some people who may not like it. However, I'm quite happy with it, and I appreciate you guys letting me share regardless. Yes, you can see more of the module than usual, and even in some parts on the corners and sides you can see a bit of the white part inside the module. That doesn't bother me at all. In fact I like the way it exposes the internals, almost like a skeletonized model of an analog watch does. To me, this is a watch that was built with the purpose of showcasing what is so cool to me about a screw-back square.

Also, I know it was a rare watch that I used for the parts for this project. However, I still have all the parts intact, and can switch it back if I ever feel the need. Plus now I have an extra case with gold buttons and back to make something else with in the meantime.

Thanks again for letting me share guys, and thanks to all the members whose threads I researched while doing this project. Take care friends.

Interesting idea, very creative and I appreciate the effort it took. Not a huge fan of the look but mods are a personal thing and you certainly made it your own. Your mods are the most creative I have seen on this forum.
    Knives and Lint likes this.

Re: My second custom screw-back square, DW5030 build

I like the look. It is different. Good job K&L. Lots of hard work paid off.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Very unique watch, the whole thing kinda has the look of being made out of clear lexan, like it would almost be invisible on your wrist. The embodiment of a floating module. It fits in with your sigline too, being a near total sterile watch.

Good work, and you have a spare 5030 crystal for a future mod if you want. My first ever mod was a 5030-5600E crystal swap inspired by one that kung-fusion did sometime ago that I purchased from him. It's part of my "Poor Man's GSET".

Very cool K&L, I always enjoy what you put together.

Thank you for sharing!!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Wow, that is very COOL, K&L, very nice!!! (I might not have said that a couple years ago, but can safely do so now given my appreciation of the squares!)

It's got a really cool look to it!! I LOVE that jelly strap!! Very very nice. It's posts like yours that 'might' lead me to try something like this one day myself. If I can find the time.

Great job!!!

Great job, great read K&L. Like it You have a real unique mod style. Stands out for sure. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Awesome job. I think it looks good.

Great job K&L......really nice
    You have created the Silver Surfer Square
    Excellent congrats

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast