My watch's backlight is not working after changing the battery
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: My watch's backlight is not working after changing the battery

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My watch's backlight is not working after changing the battery

Hi folks, this is my first time around here. I have a problem with my G-Shock. It is not any amazing model, but it has memorial meaning to me because it is my 21st yr old birthday gift from my dad.

Its battery was dead around 6 months ago, and i only have the time to bring it to a watch repairman to change the battery for me. I didnt change it myself because I am not willing to take the risk since i have never dismantle a watch before.

The battery change cost me ard US$6. But when i took the watch over and gave it a check. I realised that the backlight is not working anymore! I question the repairman why is that so, because i am pretty sure the light was working 6 months before the battery went flat.
    He claims that my watch is old, its normal that the backlight is spoilt now... :(

I am not really believe that, but i have no choice because he doesnt look like he can do anything to get the light back for me.

Ok, the purpose of this thread. I am curious if any experts here can guide me how i may be able to revive the backlight???

Thanks all dearly.

Re: My watch's backlight is not working after changing the battery

What model is it and how old?
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    What model is it and how old?
    Sorry, i am really no G Shock fan. Can u guide me how do i check for the model???

It should be close to 10yrs old

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The model number will be on the back. Something like 'DW-5600E', 'G-2300' etc.

The failure rate of EL backlights is low, but it does happen. The older models with a little bulb are more likely to fail.

By the way, does the button tone and alarm buzzer still work?
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

DW-9050

button tone and alarm still working.

Btw, i notice that when i pressed the G button for the backlight, one of the bar in the round scale in the top right corner will blink once
    If i hold onto the G button, this bar will keep blinking.

I am not sure if this is the same in the past, coz i never really noticed this part before...

I think the module is 2163 (the module number is also on the back of the watch, in a little box). The manual (attached below) says that the blinking is meant to happen (although it is not clear why).

I fear the repairman may be right. If everything else is working it is likely that the back-light has failed. Sorry...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Prior to learning a little about "G"'s I had a similar issue, is it a solar? Because if it is it will need to charge up. I have and older solar that years ago I used to keep in a dresser and because it got no light the battery went dead and when I replaced it guess what, no back light and I also though something was wrong (or I screwed it up because I did the change out). But then I woke up one day and read the words TOUGH SOLAR?? So in my un-infinate wisdom I placed it in the sunlight until all the bars were filled in (fully charged) then the back light started working!!

It's not solar.

Tsarli had exactly the same problem when he changed the battery on his DW-9050.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...hlight=dw-9050

This suggests that either a spring has been lost during the battery change or the AC reset has not been performed properly.

Perhaps Sjors can throw light on the most probable problem.

Mitch

I wondered about the spring too, but then recalled another thread that said the backlight wasn't dependent on the springs.

And yes, Sjors might know for sure.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information