Myth or Reality? Does 8200BK really have a sapphire crystal?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Myth or Reality? Does 8200BK really have a sapphire crystal?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Member angrypossum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,078

    Myth or Reality? Does 8200BK really have a sapphire crystal?

    Hi guys, sorry about creating a thread just to raised this question.
    I am wondering if anyone can help me verify if the 8200BK real black frogman really has a sapphire crystal instead of mineral crystal?

    I've found many conflicting accounts about it.
    Some say yes others say no, and the casio spec sheet doesn't seem to mention it at all

    I have been trying to acquire one for a bit, but the asking price has been fairly high
    If the sapphire crystal "rumour" turns out to be real, then I guess I would have one more way to justify the purchase (to myself)

    Also, there's a "myth" that this watch was invitation-purchase only when it was released?

    Thanks
    Name:  DW-8200BK-1.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  30.0 KB
    Last edited by angrypossum; September 23rd, 2012 at 20:00.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,937

    Re: Myth or Reality? Does 8200BK really have a sapphire crystal?

    Quote Originally Posted by angrypossum View Post
    Hi guys, sorry about creating a thread just to raised this question.
    I am wondering if anyone can help me verify if the 8200BK real black frogman really has a sapphire crystal instead of mineral crystal?

    I've found many conflicting accounts about it.
    Some say yes others say no, and the casio spec sheet doesn't seem to mention it at all

    I have been trying to acquire one for a bit, but the asking price has been fairly high
    If the sapphire crystal "rumour" turns out to be real, then I guess I would have one more way to justify the purchase (to myself)

    Also, there's a "myth" that this watch was invitation-purchase only when it was released?

    Thanks
    It does not have a sapphire crystal and it was not an invitation only purchase.







    Mitch

  3. #3
    Member angrypossum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,078

    Re: Myth or Reality? Does 8200BK really have a sapphire crystal?

    Thanks Mitch, that sort of put my 8200BK bug to sleep a little.
    Now I am less enthusiastic about shelling out $700 on a 8200 frogman... a little less that is

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Joakim Agren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,191

    Re: Myth or Reality? Does 8200BK really have a sapphire crystal?

    No G-Shocks have a sapphire crystal as that would make the crystal more sensitive against shocks. Sapphire crystals have a tendency to crack when you drop it against for instance bathroom tiles.

    This model the 8200BK was available in Japan only tough and is a rare collectible these days. Buying a 8200 series Frogman have its risk these days because when Casio release a new GF-82XX that are the same colorway as some of the old 8200's then the original will have a significant price drop. At least that have been the trend lately.
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142


  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,937

    Re: Myth or Reality? Does 8200BK really have a sapphire crystal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joakim Agren View Post
    No G-Shocks have a sapphire crystal as that would make the crystal more sensitive against shocks. .
    Apart from the newer MRGs that is.







    Mitch

  7. #6
    Member angrypossum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,078

    Re: Myth or Reality? Does 8200BK really have a sapphire crystal?

    Thanks for the reply Joakim Agren,
    Yeah I am familiar with the line of reasoning regarding the choice of mineral crystal, which is why I was surprised to hear that 8200BK is said tp have sapphire crystal.
    Having said that, some g-shocks do come with sapphire crystal (MRG).
    Additionally I don't think the GF-8250 is going to have much impact on the price of the 8200BK; it has more functions indeed, but that is largely irrelevant in the context of the 8200BK - It might be a bit of a sweeping statement, but I think most people are attracted to the 8200BK because of its unique pink display (in the backdrop of its "real black" colour scheme)
    Unless Casio release a GF-8250 with the same colour scheme and the pink display - which is unlikely - the price of 8200BK is likely to persist.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joakim Agren View Post
    No G-Shocks have a sapphire crystal as that would make the crystal more sensitive against shocks. Sapphire crystals have a tendency to crack when you drop it against for instance bathroom tiles.

    This model the 8200BK was available in Japan only tough and is a rare collectible these days. Buying a 8200 series Frogman have its risk these days because when Casio release a new GF-82XX that are the same colorway as some of the old 8200's then the original will have a significant price drop. At least that have been the trend lately.

  8. #7
    Member Joakim Agren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,191

    Re: Myth or Reality? Does 8200BK really have a sapphire crystal?

    Quote Originally Posted by angrypossum View Post
    Thanks for the reply Joakim Agren,
    Yeah I am familiar with the line of reasoning regarding the choice of mineral crystal, which is why I was surprised to hear that 8200BK is said tp have sapphire crystal.
    Having said that, some g-shocks do come with sapphire crystal (MRG).
    Additionally I don't think the GF-8250 is going to have much impact on the price of the 8200BK; it has more functions indeed, but that is largely irrelevant in the context of the 8200BK - It might be a bit of a sweeping statement, but I think most people are attracted to the 8200BK because of its unique pink display (in the backdrop of its "real black" colour scheme)
    Unless Casio release a GF-8250 with the same colour scheme and the pink display - which is unlikely - the price of 8200BK is likely to persist.
    Yes of course the MRG line, how could I forget to mention that?



    Anyway when Casio released the yellow GF-8250 the original men in yellow DW-8250Y had a significant price drop from around $500-$600 down to $300-$400. This same thing could happen to the 8200BK, it is certainly at risk since it is considered one of the Kings in the old 8200 series.
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142


  9. #8
    Member angrypossum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,078

    Re: Myth or Reality? Does 8200BK really have a sapphire crystal?

    I can only hope that you are right on this, and that Casio will release a GF8250"BK" tribute model.
    Personally I am a bit more pessimistic; 8200BK is a very unique model in the history of frogman, and I am just not seeing Casio releasing a new version of it..
    That said, the GF8250-9 was a pleasant surprise for a lot of people

  10. #9
    Member wuyeah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    USA + Taiwan + China
    Posts
    7,380

    Re: Myth or Reality? Does 8200BK really have a sapphire crystal?

    Quote Originally Posted by angrypossum View Post
    Thanks Mitch, that sort of put my 8200BK bug to sleep a little.
    Now I am less enthusiastic about shelling out $700 on a 8200 frogman... a little less that is
    OM....now i cannot sell you mine for over $700+ @@!?
    Thanks a lot guys -_______-||

    Name:  7742693040_cf343271ab_c.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  259.2 KB
    Feisar and KVM888 like this.

  11. #10
    Member angrypossum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,078

    Re: Myth or Reality? Does 8200BK really have a sapphire crystal?

    Quote Originally Posted by wuyeah View Post
    OM....now i cannot sell you mine for over $700+ @@!?
    Thanks a lot guys -_______-||
    haha, why would you want to sell it in the first place.
    this beauty is a keeper.
    I think there has been a drop of interest in spending more than $600 on this model... based on what I observed recently.
    There was a seller offering a "low" non-reserved auction at around $500 a few weeks ago, and no one bid for it.
    I was going to snap it on the last day, but the seller changed his mind and increased the initial bid to more than $800 about two days before the end of the auction. Needless to say that the change was more than enough to put me off.
    Last edited by angrypossum; September 23rd, 2012 at 22:18.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •