Naked....but for a Nike Fuelband
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Naked....but for a Nike Fuelband

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Naked....but for a Nike Fuelband

I am not wearing a "watch" today. I am, however, wearing a Nike Fuelband (which I first discovered when someone here posted a shot of theirs). I had long been looking for a decent wrist or pocket pedometer -- that would give me a ballpark indicator of my level of activity and indirectly incentivize me to move a bit more during the routine course of the day. The Fuelband, though not the most attractive wrist ornament in the world, seems to do nicely.

I normally wear it on my "dominant hand", i.e., my left wrist, which was the advice I received when I bought the gizmo at Niketown here in Manhattan. When I wear the Fuelband on my left wrist, I wear a watch, as usual, on my right. (It may well be that sometimes, particularly when I am wearing a white or a colored G-Shock, that the combined "look" is less than harmonious. But that is a separate issue.)

I have a persistent little patch of eczema/dermatitis on the underside of my left wrist for God-knows-what-reason. It comes and goes but mostly only bothers me in the drier winter months. I don't normally wear anything on my left wrist -- so whatever triggers flare ups is usually not related to "contact" (e.g., with a watch, with jewelry, etc.). I have noticed that it is flaring up now -- in the Summer -- which is unusual. It may be that daily contact with and rubbing from the Fuelband is the culprit. (I have worn the Fuelband daily for the past six weeks or so since I bought it.)

So, today, I am wearing the Fuelband on my right wrist and I am not wearing a watch. It is amazing how "naked" I feel without a wristwatch, much less without a G-Shock. And this is so even though the Fuelband, among other things, tells the time at the push of a button.

If the dermatitis continues to be an issue, I am going to have to consider wearing a watch and the Fuelband on the same wrist -- anyone do that? Or abandon the Fuelband and pursue another pedometer "solution". I find that I really do like having an indicator of how much I am moving during the course of the day.

Re: Naked....but for a Nike Fuelband

I saw someone post a pic of the watch and band on the same wrist, it didn't look bad. I don't like the waste pedometers because I kept loosing them. Now I just wear the band for a an activity like gardening or playing with the dogs to get a ballpark of my calories burned. I don't find it too be too comfortable because it doesn't really shape to my wrist, but it's not bad.

LUW

I didn't think not wearing a watch on your wrist was compatible with human life .
    daghoi likes this.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Quote Originally Posted by LUW View Post
    I didn't think not wearing a watch on your wrist was compatible with human life .
    haha that's funny, yesterday my dad said he didn't know people still wore watches haha, he refuses to wear any of mine but I keep trying.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Wow... what an interesting marketing gimmick. There is no "fuel" per se... At first I thought it was some kind of band that gives you "power nutrients" through the skin, similar to how a nicotine patch helps people stop smoking. But this device is supposed to help you keep track of your exercise goals, so that every movement you make during the day contributes to the "fuel", the total measurement of calories burned throughout the day. Interesting choice in words, but to me a bit deceptive. Anyway, I hadn't heard of a 3-axis accelerometer. I wonder how accurate it is? The whole Nike+ package is pretty involved, with information relayed to your smart phone that can then be added to the Nike+ website where you can publicize your exercise achievements, sharing with your active friends. Being able to see where you stand relative to your exercise buddies can help motivate you to do more and "keep up," I guess.

As for wearing it on the same wrist as the watch, it could work. It looks like it may be thin enough depending upon your choice of G-Shock model. Maybe the G-Lide will work best?
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    Wow... what an interesting marketing gimmick. There is no "fuel" per se... At first I thought it was some kind of band that gives you "power nutrients" through the skin, similar to how a nicotine patch helps people stop smoking. But this device is supposed to help you keep track of your exercise goals, so that every movement you make during the day contributes to the "fuel", the total measurement of calories burned throughout the day. Interesting choice in words, but to me a bit deceptive. Anyway, I hadn't heard of a 3-axis accelerometer. I wonder how accurate it is? The whole Nike+ package is pretty involved, with information relayed to your smart phone that can then be added to the Nike+ website where you can publicize your exercise achievements, sharing with your active friends. Being able to see where you stand relative to your exercise buddies can help motivate you to do more and "keep up," I guess.

As for wearing it on the same wrist as the watch, it could work. It looks like it may be thin enough depending upon your choice of G-Shock model. Maybe the G-Lide will work best?
    The "fuel" is a made up metric created by Nike. It takes data from the accelerometer, factors in things like height, weight, age, gender and comes up with this calculation. I doubt that it adds very much to the basic calculation of steps taken and calories burned -- both of which, at best, are "rough justice" anyway.

It is nice to be able to upload the data conveniently -- you can track trends, see how you're doing over time. These are all tools to build a bit of incentive and accountability. I can't imagine using the "social" tools on the Nike website -- maybe that's a generational thing. And I guess one should never say never.

Sorry to hear about your situation Kronos.

I just got my fuelband last week. The Fuelband is wildly inaccurate.

Name:  IMG_20120627_161309.jpg
Views: 19445
Size:  698.5 KB
    Apparently this is how many steps I took while casually walking for about 5 hours.

I'm not a "health nut" but I can see how they would be disappointed with the Fuelband. I'm not sure what the point of the fuel points are. I don't get how it can measure calories burned without some sort of heart rate monitoring, but perhaps I'm just uneducated in the matter. It doesn't count the distance traveled.

But I'm easily amused and think the LEDs are cool.

I think I'll try two on one wrist. Now the question is -- in what order? Watch on the "outside"; FuelBand on the "inside" or the reverse?

My initial impulse was the Fuelband on the "inside". It initially felt more comfortable that way. Now, I think it may be more comfortable the other way. Not sure which way looks better (which shouldn't matter but, of course, it does).

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
    The "fuel" is a made up metric created by Nike. It takes data from the accelerometer, factors in things like height, weight, age, gender and comes up with this calculation. I doubt that it adds very much to the basic calculation of steps taken and calories burned -- both of which, at best, are "rough justice" anyway. It is nice to be able to upload the data conveniently -- you can track trends, see how you're doing over time. These are all tools to build a bit of incentive and accountability. I can't imagine using the "social" tools on the Nike website -- maybe that's a generational thing. And I guess one should never say never.
    Yeah, the accountability is a key selling point. Also, if you're exposing your metrics to other friends, then you don't want to appear like you're slacking off. I find when I run with a friend of mine, I usually go further than I would alone. There's just something about keeping pace with someone else. Also, the chatter helps occupy your mind with more than just running, so you don't "feel" every footstep.

I'd gotten out of practice running (due to an unrelated injury) and man... when you get older, it's harder to recoup the stamina and toning you had previously. I started running again about 3 weeks ago, then got discouraged because I couldn't run more than 3 miles without being really winded (previously I was running up to 6 and only stopping due to time constraints). Maybe something like the Nike Fuel might help.

Anyway, I recommend keeping the band on the inside. Something about it leading in front of the watch interferes with the "watch + wrist" appearance. If having it on the outside is more comfortable when you're working out, then switch positions just for the workout.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

The band looks better on the outside than in.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information