The Naked Truth! The undressing of the Bangkok Flogman! (Modem photo buster)

Thread: The Naked Truth! The undressing of the Bangkok Flogman! (Modem photo buster)

The Naked Truth! The undressing of the Bangkok Flogman! (Modem photo buster)

Letís get naked once and for all

We see the posts entitled: ďIs this a fakeĒ

Itís not always a fake, although a high percentage are.

We love to hate them, but does anyone like them and why?

I used to get all heated simply because I like the real thing.

My days of seeing fakes go back to when I was young, and my parents would bring back souvenirs for friends and family from Hong Kong, China and Thailand.

Brands that come to mind are Louis Vuitton, Prada, Burberry, G-Shock, SEIKO, Rolex, Citizen, La Coste, Adidas, Nike, etc., etc., etc.

Many think they know where they come from. I know some come from China and Thailand as Iíve seen the response with my own eyes, but what makes you so sure where they are coming from and why?

Are they all that bad?

I once purchased a fake North Face ďGORETEXĒ Jacket form a UK seller on EBay. I paid by memory around $250 for it being sold as NWT. Geez I was excited as I was living in Japan riding my scooter everyday. Kyoto was a cold place in the winter. This jacket arrived, and stress set in without a hope in the air as the seller was not interested in me at all.

These sellers want to make money as do we all. Where do these sellers come from, more importantly, where do they access these counterfeit products they seem to thrive on EBay with no end in site?

Do you know anyone who sells fakes and why?

Do you have counterfeit products openly available in your country of residence?

In Australia, I see them more often than not.

I worked and traveled in Thailand. I saw them daily on my way home from work. It was as far as I thought as Bangkok as any Bangkokian could be.

I was going to toss this model out which I purchased from a street stall in Bangkok. I thought itís such a waste so I decided to take it apart, and have a good look.

I was a little bit surprised. It has a very solid case, heavy, and all looks in shape.

The casing looks to be good quality, although the module is a complete disaster. It does tell the time, the stopwatch, alarms, and date work as does the backlight; however, all the buttons are totally muddled as each one does the wrong thing!

Is this a good watch to buy as a cheap watch?

I saw someoneís previous post about the parts. The band can be used for an authentic model, although I didnít check the bezel or hardware. Could this model be won on EBay for letís say $2.00, and then used for a cheap band?

Itís all very interesting as many of us crazy G-Shockerís love to love or hate, either way anything G-Shock copied..

Letís here your opinionís. Answers and statements, and enjoy the naked truth photos

Also don't forget to check out:
    FAQ, real or Fake Frogman.

Re: The Naked Truth! The undressing of the Bangkok Flogman! (Modem photo buster)

Hey OZZIE,

interesting pics. Will you open the caseback? I'd love to see the module B-)

cheers
    zaphod
    Who is General Failure and why is he reading my harddrive?

Re: The Naked Truth! The undressing of the Bangkok Flogman! (Modem photo buster)

Hi Ozzie,

You've done it again. My old PIII350 computer on the lab is slow as ***** *****, but nice pictures. I rather would like to see the real stuff, but some pictures show some interesting points.

The bezel looks exact (including the holes) to the real GW-200.

Even the "fake" screws on the bezel are the same.

On several of the pictures I clearly see little springs under the buttons. I think you will find a little clue here. This explains probably why the buttons are feeling so loose on the fakes.

I also thought the original Frogman was made out of one block of Titanium. This case seems welded from two types of metal.

It looks like the paint is from an insufficient kind. Your LOG DATA is spreading over the bezel. I won't be proud of walking with such kind of watch around...

Cheers,

Sjors
    Last edited by Sjors; September 5th, 2006 at 14:18.
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Hi Ozzie, greetings again buddy,

Well, both reading you and seeing the pictures, I wonder too who makes this... I once read they make pretty good fake Kalashnikov rifles in Pakistan. I have a (real) French Laguiole knife (very nice) and a fake one. You can easily tell the difference, but the "Paki" knife is NOT a piece of junk, and -on its own right- there is nothing wrong with it, except of course the fact of being a "counterfeit", probably illegal, item...

When looking at the pictures, I have visions of 8-year old kids drilling holes (in wood) like I have seen done in the Kingdom of Morocco. Not politically correct, but I don't run the show there... I guess it's easier to (more or less properly) machine metal than it is to make high-performance (?) chips and modules.

Quote Originally Posted by zaphod
    Hey OZZIE,

interesting pics. Will you open the caseback? I'd love to see the module B-)

cheers
    zaphod
    Hi Zaphod -

That's a great idea and would you believe I forget to include photos of the back:oops:

It was a busy afternoon:-D

Will attempt a back off very soon

Hi Ozzie,

Great pics, can't wait to see the inside of this thing; question: does this fake even keep the correct time:-D.

Brad
    Brad
    Have a great day.

Hi Sjors:

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors
    On several of the pictures I clearly see little springs under the buttons. I think you will find a little clue here. This explains probably why the buttons are feeling so loose on the fakes.
    Actually, they are very tight! I thought they may fall off/out when I removed the bezel but they are solid.
    I also thought the original Frogman was made out of one block of Titanium. This case seems welded from two types of metal.
    Indeed it does seem as if the chrome upper half is a seperate piece, or it may possibly be a thin metal cap over the top of the block.
    It looks like the paint is from an insufficient kind. Your LOG DATA is spreading over the bezel.
    I only noticed the paint when I took the photo. It shows on that photo very clearly, mainly I think because the flash fired:-D

Will have to pull it apart as it would be interesting as Zaphod pointed out.

Quote Originally Posted by brad15470
    Hi Ozzie,

Great pics, can't wait to see the inside of this thing; question: does this fake even keep the correct time:-D.

Brad
    Thanks Brad

Hopefully the back of the watch isn't super glued down or something:-D

Should be able to get it off although I have no tools.

I guess a small screwdriver wedged into the nick at the back, tap of a hammer and should bring it loose

Thread Information