Need advice about repair vs replacement of my Gshock solar atomic

Thread: Need advice about repair vs replacement of my Gshock solar atomic

Need advice about repair vs replacement of my Gshock solar atomic

I have G Shock solar atomic watch which I let run down to no charge. Since then, I can't get it to charge higher than the medium setting.

How much would it cost to have Casio replace the battery? Their website tells me it could cost between $10 and $150, which isn't much help.

I am considering getting another G Shock solar atomic watch. But there are so many choices available, and they differ significantly lin price. How do I decide which one to get? The functions I would like beyond the basic ones are ability to use it in water, a second time zone, a stopwatch, and alarms. If possible, I would like it have have the best battery available with such a watch.

What price range (say at Amazon) should I aim at. Which watches should I consider?

Re: Need advice about repair vs replacement of my Gshock solar atomic

Moved to main forum.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

I don't know about repair prices, but if I had to have only one solar/atomic watch, I'd keep my GW-6900. It has a subtle look, legible display, quick switching between home and selected world time zone (including ability to have second zone as well as the home zone on the main time display), buttons which are easy to press and find, and... well, I can't find anything wrong with it.

The Search function on vBulletin forums isn't very smart. If you want to search for a complete string in the G-Shock forum, or for posts which include multiple words, use Google, and enter site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17 into the search box. Then use normal google syntax after that to enter your search.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Suspended

As long as it holds a charge, I don't think I would bother fixing it. You can put the power save on if it has it to save the battery some more while not wearing.

I replaced the battery on a GW-300 before using a CTL-1616 (I think) and it was no big deal. I got it for around $9 from americanperfit.com Order through their site. Not sure if that works for your watch.

I'll 2nd the GW-6900 though - awesome, well made, does everything, classic.

Neil

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I received a brand new solar atomic from a retailer with no charge in it. I put it in the window sill for a week and it only charged it up to medium. However, I don't think this is a problem with the watch, but it's the fact that I live in MN where the days are short and my watch probably only got a hour of direct sunlight per day. I'm going to wait until the sun is stronger around here and then try to get it to full.

Before doing anything too invasive, there are some questions that might help us figure out your problem.

How old is the watch?

Where are you located?

What kind of strategies have you used to try to get a full charge?

Anything else that you think might be relevant to the situation might be helpful.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by DBlock72 View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. I received a brand new solar atomic from a retailer with no charge in it. I put it in the window sill for a week and it only charged it up to medium. However, I don't think this is a problem with the watch, but it's the fact that I live in MN where the days are short and my watch probably only got a hour of direct sunlight per day. I'm going to wait until the sun is stronger around here and then try to get it to full.

Before doing anything too invasive, there are some questions that might help us figure out your problem.

How old is the watch?

Where are you located?

What kind of strategies have you used to try to get a full charge?

Anything else that you think might be relevant to the situation might be helpful.
    This is a good point. If you look at the manual you will see that the steps of high, med, low are not equal with medium being a lot larger than high. Point being, it takes a lot of energy to get the battery out of medium into high.

am5

Replace. Always nice to have an excuse to buy a new G, if you can afford it! Just got a gw3000 and it is gorgeous, tough, all analog if you like that, aviation style. Can't say enough good about it ... $260.

Exclamation Re: Need advice about repair vs replacement of my Gshock solar atomic

keep the watch, put the power save on and order a new battery (CTL1616) when it wont come out of low charge!
    i suggest a GW5600 for a new "G" 50to100$usd
    Last edited by got6ponies; March 6th, 2011 at 20:02.
    ..........................................i dont like my solar to be "M".................................................. ....................

Thread Information