Need Advice on Specific Features Available
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Need Advice on Specific Features Available

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Need Advice on Specific Features Available

I am looking to replace my GW-M850-1 with a model that has essentially the same features except I do not want Solar Powered. Looking over Casio's website it is very difficult to find a specific model based on the feature set I need.

Features I need in my next Casio, in order of importance:

#1 - At least 2 alarms including at least one snooze alarm
    #2 - Atomic Timekeeping
    #3 - Day & Date displayed with the time
    #4 - NOT Solar powered
    #5 - Can safely be submerged in shallow water
    #6 - Good shock resistance
    #7 - Digital display
    #8 - Illumination feature
    #9 - Black or muted color, minimal attention grabber (for a G-Shock)
    #10 - Stopwatch/Countdown timer and other goodies are welcome bonuses, but not strictly needed

Does Casio make a model that fits this bill? Or one that comes close (gets the top 4 or 5 listed features at least)?

Thanks for any assistance!

Re: Need Advice on Specific Features Available

Quote Originally Posted by pchlloyd View Post
    I am looking to replace my GW-M850-1 with a model that has essentially the same features except I do not want Solar Powered. Looking over Casio's website it is very difficult to find a specific model based on the feature set I need.

Features I need in my next Casio, in order of importance:

#1 - At least 2 alarms including at least one snooze alarm
    #2 - Atomic Timekeeping
    #3 - Day & Date displayed with the time
    #4 - NOT Solar powered
    #5 - Can safely be submerged in shallow water
    #6 - Good shock resistance
    #7 - Digital display
    #8 - Illumination feature
    #9 - Black or muted color, minimal attention grabber (for a G-Shock)
    #10 - Stopwatch/Countdown timer and other goodies are welcome bonuses, but not strictly needed

Does Casio make a model that fits this bill? Or one that comes close (gets the top 4 or 5 listed features at least)?

Thanks for any assistance!
    ALL of your features listed are very easy to meet -- EXCEPT #2 WITH #4. In other words, offhand I cannot think of a single Casio that is atomic but NOT solar powered. Solar powered is generally a desirable feature. So good luck!
    LankyOrangutan likes this.

Thanks for the response! Years ago I owned an inexpensive ($35) Casio "Wavecepter" (cannot remember the model) that was Atomic but not Solar. (It was my first automatic timekeeping watch.) There must be another model like that out there somewhere... Perhaps it is only the G-Shock models that require Solar Power with Atomic Timekeeping? (Why are these two features required to be together?)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the response! Years ago I owned an inexpensive ($35) Casio "Wavecepter" (cannot remember the model) that was Atomic but not Solar. (It was my first automatic timekeeping watch.) There must be another model like that out there somewhere... Perhaps it is only the G-Shock models that require Solar Power with Atomic Timekeeping? (Why are these two features required to be together?)
    It is not that they are 'required' to be together...just that they typically are. There are many g-shocks that are solar but not atomic. But the next "step up" adds the atomic feature to the solar powered models. By no means am I aware of all g-shock models' specific features, but of the battery powered models I have seen, none were atomic. I think that is generally because most battery powered models are somewhat less expensive, and Casio tends to put the atomic feature in the higher priced models. (maybe to help 'justify' the higher pricing?)

And I am really not aware at all of features in Casio models other than g-shocks or Protreks...so can't help you there. Perhaps others can.

There is only one atomic G-Shock in history that is atomic but not solar and that is the original Master Of G Antman GW-100Q-1 :
    Name:  GW-100Q-1JF_l.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  193.8 KB

That was the very first atomic model from Casio released in 2001. But that one only works with the Japanese transmitters and you have to manually select which tower to sync to and then sync manually. No automatic function. And this model is very difficult to find in good condition these days. So mostly a model for dedicated collectors of vintage pieces.

Is there a reason you do not want solar? If we can convince you to get a solar model I would recommend the great GW-9400 Rangeman for you that can be found for around $180 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Casio-GW-9400-...ywords=gw-9400

If that is to rich then a simple GW-6900 model can be found around $80.
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142

Thanks for all the info!

My current watch is a G-Shock GW-M850, so I am not in the market for another solar watch; there is no malfunction with it. But I've discovered I do not like the solar watches for their power-saving "features," like the way it will not display anything unless I push a button or flip it around a certain way. Sitting on my bedside stand, I really dislike the fact that I cannot see the time without grabbing it and jiggling it about. My non-solar watches just displayed the time without any "tricks" -- it just showed the time all the time, the way a watch should work, in my opinion. I dare not ever use the light, since that drains the battery significantly each time. The manual warns you about using the light, and doesn't recommend it! I do not feel that changing a battery every 18-24 months is such a hassle compared to dealing with this watch's power-saving idiosyncrasies. Where I work there is no sunlight, and artificial light barely charges the battery. I set it outside in the sun for a few hours now and then to keep it charged. These are unnecessary little fiddly steps I do not need to go through with a non-solar watch. Also, it seems the battery doesn't hold its charge as long as it used to when new. That means I can look forward to this watch slowly getting more fiddly to deal with as time goes on. No thank you.

I found the model# of the Wavecepter watch I used to own that was Atomic but not Solar: the WV57HA-1AV. Which is discontinued. It had all the alarms I needed, too. Most of the current model Wavecepters that have Atomic Timekeeping without Solar unfortunately only have a single daily alarm. Is there a search/sort feature on the Casio website that I just missed? How can anyone keep track of which features are in which models? I guess I just have to click on each of the of models they sell (over a hundred) to read how many daily alarms are available. This kind of thing should be easily sortable.

Thanks for all the info!

My current watch is a G-Shock GW-M850, so I am not in the market for another solar watch; there is no malfunction with it. But I've discovered I do not like the solar watches for their power-saving "features," like the way it will not display anything unless I push a button or flip it around a certain way. Sitting on my bedside stand, I really dislike the fact that I cannot see the time without grabbing it and jiggling it about. My non-solar watches just displayed the time without any "tricks" -- it just showed the time all the time, the way a watch should work, in my opinion. I dare not ever use the light, since that drains the battery significantly each time. The manual warns you about using the light, and doesn't recommend it! I do not feel that changing a battery every 18-24 months is such a hassle compared to dealing with this watch's power-saving idiosyncrasies. Where I work there is no sunlight, and artificial light barely charges the battery. I set it outside in the sun for a few hours now and then to keep it charged. These are unnecessary little fiddly steps I do not need to go through with a non-solar watch. Also, it seems the battery doesn't hold its charge as long as it used to when new. That means I can look forward to this watch slowly getting more fiddly to deal with as time goes on. No thank you.

I found the model# of the Wavecepter watch I used to own that was Atomic but not Solar: the WV57HA-1AV. Which is discontinued. It had all the alarms I needed, too. Most of the current model Wavecepters that have Atomic Timekeeping without Solar unfortunately only have a single daily alarm. Is there a search/sort feature on the Casio website that I just missed? How can anyone keep track of which features are in which models? I guess I just have to click on each of the of models they sell (over a hundred) to read how many daily alarms are available. This kind of thing should be easily sortable.
    You can actually turn off the power saving feature on most if not all solar Gs. Just be careful not to leave it in the dark for too long if PS is turned off. With that in mind, you have many Gs to choose from

Just a thought pchlloyd but...since you don't want solar ( I am the same way & have 19 non-solar & just 1 solar/non atomic )

I would consider if you really "need" atomic time updates?

Personally I find the 19 non-solar non multiband/atomic G's I have all keep exceptional time
    They are usually within less than 10 seconds apart even after 4-6 months

I manually sync all 19 of them in less than 20 minutes once every 5-6 months only because
    I think it looks so nice seeing a whole display case all showing the exact same time

Since your just looking for one watch that means less than 1 minute for manually syncing...if you need too? maybe 2x a year
    Maybe a feature you can also live without?

All your other requirements are easily met by many models
    Good Luck
    Last edited by flying; July 16th, 2015 at 09:19.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    Just a thought pchlloyd but...since you don't want solar ( I am the same way & have 19 non-solar & just 1 solar/non atomic )

I would consider if you really "need" atomic time updates?

Personally I find the 19 non-solar non multiband/atomic G's I have all keep exceptional time
    They are usually within less than 10 seconds apart even after 4-6 months

I manually sync all 19 of them in less than 20 minutes once every 5-6 months only because
    I think it looks so nice seeing a whole display case all showing the exact same time

Since your just looking for one watch that means less than 1 minute for manually syncing...if you need too? maybe 2x a year
    Maybe a feature you can also live without?

All your other requirements are easily met by many models
    Good Luck
    +1 what he said.

Atomic is nice but completely overrated, and a manual sync does take only a fraction of time compared to what an atomic sync requires. Just use Time.is - exact time, any time zone and you will never need any other source again. I would recommend either the GD-350 or a G-7900, both I consider still among the best G's made to date.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

No thank you.
    your GW-M850 needs 48 minutes of daylight through a window on a cloudy day to generate enough power for normal daily operations (see manual on page E-56).

so I would ...
    1) buy a second solar watch
    2) turn off power saving on both (see page E59-E61)
    3) put one on the window sill
    4) wear the other

alternate 3) and 4) daily / weekly

manual for GW-M850
    Last edited by funzel; July 16th, 2015 at 17:09.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information