In need of a good camera

Thread: In need of a good camera

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Off topic In need of a good camera

I dropped my Casio Exilim camera from 1 meter while taking a photo of my daughter last week. Needless to say, this camera did not appreciate that. This camera took okay outdoor pictures and horrible indoor pictures.

I mainly use the camera to take pictures of my 2 year old daughter. We are at the pool a lot in the summer and I need a camera that is tuff like a G-Shock.

Does anyone own the Exilim G-shock? I have seen some really nice pictures since joining this forum and would like to learn more about taking better pictures as well. My budget is around 300-400 USD.

I appreciate the feedback. I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Re: In need of a good camera

If you can relinquish your desire for a rugged camera, you'll get a much better one! The best cameras for taking pictures of moving people are SLRs not compacts, as they focus much faster. I'd always suggest a used Canon or Nikon digital SLR rather than a compact of similar price.

If you want to stick with a rugged compact, have a look at 'Waterproof' Camera Group Test (Q2 2009) Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
    The Search function on vBulletin forums isn't very smart. If you want to search for a complete string in the G-Shock forum, or for posts which include multiple words, use Google, and enter site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17 into the search box. Then use normal google syntax after that to enter your search.

I've seen a test of waterproof cams and the rating is the following:

Panasonic
    DMC-FT2

Sony
    TX5

Olympus
    Tough 8010

Pentax
    Optio W90

Fujifilm
    XP10

Google'em and you'll get the idea. You can also browse pictures on Flickr by the camera used. Flickr: Camera Finder: All brands

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Canon G9 if you wanna spend that much. Best point n shoot out there.....Not Waterproof but oh, the pics........Fast shutter for your kids movement as well.....

Hey,

I have a Canon D10 which is brilliant (see previous thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/wha...as-441851.html).

Cant recommend it highly enough!

Tom

U can go to www.cameralabs.com. pretty good stuff on camera reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by franzy View Post
    We are at the pool a lot in the summer and I need a camera that is tuff like a G-Shock.
    Here's a test of outdoor cameras from german "Chip Online".
    Scroll down to the bottom there's a table of the best 10.

Hardcore: Die 10 besten Outdoor-Kameras im Test - CHIP Online
    Only atomic clocks tell you what time it is - all others try to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Maine View Post
    If you can relinquish your desire for a rugged camera, you'll get a much better one! The best cameras for taking pictures of moving people are SLRs not compacts, as they focus much faster. I'd always suggest a used Canon or Nikon digital SLR rather than a compact of similar price.

If you want to stick with a rugged compact, have a look at 'Waterproof' Camera Group Test (Q2 2009) Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

I run Nikon D3000 myself, and my camera bag is larger than the bag I take to work, which has all my papers, my notebook, something to eat, two Red Bulls, and a number of emergency cigarette boxes. DSLRs aren't exactly easy to walk around with, nor pull out in an impromptu moment. I'm not sure what model he's considering, but I myself have thought about buying a credit card P&S camera just for those moments.

One thing that you're right about though; for all the convenience issues, SLRs are the best for taking pictures, period. And an entry level one like the D3000 or the D40 before it are very user friendly.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Guys,

Thanks for all of the responses. I would really like to get the D3000 DSLR, but I don't think it is practical for our life at the moment. We have a 2nd child due in April and I just know that my wife is not going to want to carry a big camera around to the zoo and other places. Not to mention the cost after you get a bag/filter/lens...etc.

I think we are leaning towards a point and shoot. Can anyone tell me if the roughly $50 price difference between the Casio Exilim EX-H15 and the less expensive EX-H10 is justified. The only difference that I see is the H15 has 14.1 MP (versus 12 MP on the H10). Is 2.1 MP a lot?

Both of these camera's have 10x zoom which will be step up from the 3x we had.

I looked at the Canon D10 (great pix Tom!!) and the Casio G, both of these watches have 3x zoom, BUT...and its important, they are water and shock proof.

Does anyone know what the major difference between 3x and 10x zoom is (in terms of feet and clarity).

I appreciate the help and feedback. (in a perfect world I would buy the D300 dslr, a shock/waterproof camera, and also a good zoom digital point/shoot).

If you want a good camera which can shoot great pictures and easy to carry around, I highly recommend the Canon S90/S95. It is small enough to fit inside a pocket and taking it out to take pictures is not awkward since it is so small and discreet. I held a Canon G11 but it is a bit too big for a digital camera. The wide-angle f2 lens is fantastic. The S95 is a bit more expensive than S90 but both cameras are quite identical so S90 might be your choice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information