Need help choosing a watch, G-shock experts please help!!!

Thread: Need help choosing a watch, G-shock experts please help!!!

Need help choosing a watch, G-shock experts please help!!!

Hello everyone, I am looking to purchase my second g-shock soon. I want a model that is tough solar and atomic, along with having a resin band and not stainless. I was thinking about the 7900B but I've seen mixed reviews about it, although I do like it's bulkiness. I will purchase off ebay so the price will be lower no matter what. I also considered the black 6900 with the orange dial because I'm not sure if I want to get a watch with a negative display. I've heard mixed reviews about negative displays too. Another thing I noticed is that the 7900B has these "wings" that are underneath the watch which provide more comfort (which is VERY important to me). Do any other g-shock have these? What watches should I consider? What determines whether I should get a positive or negative display?
    Any opinions/advice would be helpful, thank you.

Re: Need help choosing a watch, G-shock experts please help!!!

Welcome to the forum! I would like to point out that whatever G shock you end up getting, ebay is not always cheapest, no matter what; especially in the last several months with the limited supply of Gs available. I recommend heading to a Macy's if one is around and trying on several different Gs there, as the 6900 and the 7900 are very different in their layout. Also, if you will need to read the watch in low light conditions a positive display is going to be far more practical. As far as Atomic/solar, I think you are on the right track with choices, especially if you want more heft. Another model to consider might be the GW2310, although I don't have any personal experience with that, or check out the new AWG100M if you like ana-digi models. hope this helps
    Image not available

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Wojo's recommendation is great. If you're not very familiar with the G-Shock models, go to a store and try them on. It's the best way to get a sense of size, weight, and feel on your wrist. Plus, it's just fun to do it.

Personally, I find the GW-7900 to be a disappointment. There are mixed opinions about it, where some love it and others hate it, but the indifference is higher than for other G-Shocks (as far as I can see). Quite frankly, I'd rather go with a Mudman. I never liked those "wings" on the strap of the 7900 series (it appeared on a couple of other models too, like the DW-003). If I were you, I'd pony up for a GW-9300.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Other than 7900, the only current G-Shock with "wings" is G001, which is not solar nor atomic.
    The best advise I can give you is, go to the nearest Macy's and try them on in person,
    you will be able to answer your own questions better than any of us can.
    Last edited by ggyy1276; April 22nd, 2012 at 20:53.

Hi and welcome to the forum, Ben! If you like the GW-6900 why not just go with the standard black GW-6900-1? Nice and crisp display, comfy strap (more than the "colored" models as they have different straps) and synchs very good. I regret I sold mine but I still got the yellow GW-6900. Thinking about buying another black one though.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Handwerk View Post
    Hello everyone, I am looking to purchase my second g-shock soon. I want a model that is tough solar and atomic, along with having a resin band and not stainless. I was thinking about the 7900B but I've seen mixed reviews about it, although I do like it's bulkiness. I will purchase off ebay so the price will be lower no matter what. I also considered the black 6900 with the orange dial because I'm not sure if I want to get a watch with a negative display. I've heard mixed reviews about negative displays too. Another thing I noticed is that the 7900B has these "wings" that are underneath the watch which provide more comfort (which is VERY important to me). Do any other g-shock have these? What watches should I consider? What determines whether I should get a positive or negative display?
    Any opinions/advice would be helpful, thank you.
    "Wings" are neither inherently good nor bad. They are included on a couple of models, doubtless, because the designers thought they added comfort for those models. Most G's do not have them -- including many of my favorite and most comfortable models.

I second the advice of those here who have suggested heading to a store and trying on various models for yourself. I with Sedi, too, that if your looking for a basic resin, solar/atomic G-Shock, a black GW-6900-1 would be a great choice.

The GW-7900 does come in a "postive" display version too, by the way, though I don't think that version has been released in the U.S. You can find them on eBay though -- a bit more expensive than the negative version. See here for example.

Banned

I can see no reason for choosing a negative display if the positive option is available.

Thread Information