Need help with my DW-5200!!

Thread: Need help with my DW-5200!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help with my DW-5200!!

Cannot open the screwdown caseback for a battery change. Been to 4 watchmakers (plus myself) the whole day today but no luck. Don't want to scratch the cover. Any tip from the expert out there? Also, would the bezel for DW-5600 fit the DW-5200? Thanks in advance..:thanks

Re: Need help with my DW-5200!!

yes the bezel of 5600 will fit 5200 and there is an tool for opening the screw type to change batteries and i got one but i'm thinking what is the name of it.

it's called Watch Case Opener Jexa Type for Watchrepair Tool on ebay and it will open the screw type of g-shocks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bembot View Post

Cannot open the screwdown caseback for a battery change. Been to 4 watchmakers (plus myself) the whole day today but no luck. Don't want to scratch the cover. Any tip from the expert out there? Also, would the bezel for DW-5600 fit the DW-5200? Thanks in advance..:thanks
    I think you need to find a better watchmaker. Or perhaps they didn't think it worth spending a lot of effort on 'a cheap Casio'...

Applying alternate heat and cold sometimes frees up stuck joints. You could also try some penetrating oil.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

You definitely need to find a better watchmaker.

bembot, do you have a proper three pronged case opener ? If so, cover the back of the watch with plastic insulation tape (to protect from scratches) then use as much force as necessary to open it by applying the pressure evenly but firmly in an anti-clockwise direction. If the watch slips out of your hand try holding it with gloves or a towel to get a firmer grip.
    I have several vintage models and they have all been opened this way without too much trouble.

Let us know how you go.

Yeah, I have the 3 pronged caseback opener. Guys from the other forum suggested to glue a huge nut and use a wrench then remove the nut with nail polish remover.Right now I soaked it a bit with WD 40 and will try again after a few hours. Thanks for all the response. Also, I think I need a better watchmaker.

I'm not sure WD 40 is good for your seal. I have a three prong case back opener and found that the force applied on the screw back is pretty high, but not that high it should be impossible to open...

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Quote Originally Posted by bembot View Post
    Yeah, I have the 3 pronged caseback opener. Guys from the other forum suggested to glue a huge nut and use a wrench then remove the nut with nail polish remover.
    That's a neat idea, assuming that the nut comes off as easily as they say.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

I would keep trying with the case opener. If the glued nut comes loose while trying to turn it, you could end up with scratches anyway. The back of my Vostok Amphibia was very hard to remove, and didn't want to come off while held in the guy's hand. He ended up putting it in a padded vice at my request, and it then came off quite easily, and with no damage. You have to be very careful of course, but in my opinion it's less risky than gluing a nut to it and using a wrench.
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information