Need help from my favorite people.

Thread: Need help from my favorite people.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help from my favorite people.

Now what I'm doing may be breaking the rules. I'm sorry. I ask this here is because I've gotten to know you guys here. You seem like a great bunch and you're also the most active ones. So I tend to trust you the most.

I'm thinking of buying a nice Seiko. I've had this one in mind:

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SNK809-A...324061&sr=1-72
    http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SNK803K2...23667&sr=1-153
    http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SNK805K2...324187&sr=1-73

Now my question is, this seems really cheap for such a watch. Seiko and it's automatic. Aren't automatic watches much more expensive? Could it be that it's fake? Is it because the quality is bad? It looks like such a nice, comfortable watch.

Seems too good to be true in my opinion, especially for $90 shipped. I really hope it's not. Has anyone else bought stuff from Amazon? Would Amazon.com ship to Canada? Thanks for all the help, I know it's not really the right section.

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Re: Need help from my favorite people.

Dont worry about the low price of a basic Seiko 5.
    Those are legit.

The Seiko 5 automatics are one of the best bang for the buck im aware of.

The automatic movement has some cost cutting included (no hacking second hand, no handwinding) but are very reliable and long living.

The accuracy is also fine, in line with more expensive automatics like the basic ETA movements.

So if you like the look of it, dont hesitate to buy one!

Thank you for your help. I've found some fairly cheap ones on eBay, 65 bucks shipped. They're located in singapore and hong kong. Seiko has a plant in singapore correct. But the hong kong one is probably fake though right. I've read a lot that there are many fakes going around. www.google.com/m?q=seiko+5+automatics+fake&client=ms-opera-mobile&channel=new

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have the beige version and I'm happy with it apart from the non-hacking and non-handwinding. Otherwise I like the watch a lot and it keeps good time but I guess you can't get everything in the sub $100 price range.

If you like the Submariner style you can always look at the Invicta 8926. Very nice watch with a Miyota automatic movement (with handwinding but non hacking) that also sells for a great price.

http://www.amazon.com/Invicta-Diver-...6331996&sr=1-1

Casio G-Shock DW-9900-1A
    Casio G-Shock G-7700-1ER
    Casio G-Shock G-9000-3V
    Casio G-Shock G-9100R-4
    Casio G-Shock G-9200MS 8DR
    Casio G-Shock GW-9010-1
    Casio G-Shock GW-9100-1
    Casio Lineage LIW-T110D-1AJF
    Casio Oceanus OC-105
    Casio Oceanus OCW-M700TDJ-1AJF
    Casio Pathfinder PAW1500T-7V
    Invicta 8926 Pro Diver
    M&M Flieger 2824-2
    Seiko 5 Military Khaki
    Sturmanskie Gagarin
    Ulysse Nardin G230

You'll Never Walk Alone...

Banned

Are you sure you want a non-hacking (no second stop), non-winding watch? I can deal with non-hacking but non-winding is a pain if you don't wear it regularly and don't have a winder. I have a Seiko Sportura Kinetic. Obviously the non-winding is not such a big deal since it's autonomy is several months but even on that one I think it's a pain that it doesn't hand crank. No second stop just adds insult to injury.

Yes, Seiko 5 is incredible bang for the buck and reportedly very reliable. Some nice designs, too. But still, I might rather save up some money and buy a watch with an ETA 2824 for around $300-400. Unless you really like the looks of a particular Seiko 5 model, that is.

Invicta with Miyota is a nice choice, too. I have one. Works well.

At least I'd get a winder for the Seiko if you don't already have one. That will alleviate the problem but cost another $40 or so.

Till

A friend of mine showed me several variations of this series modded by Yobokies over on the SCWF. I don't know if you'd want to spend the extra cash (some even came up for sale used here in the sales forum...), but I think they look particularly nice. The only apprehension I had about them was the smaller size on my 8" wrist. I can't seem to find the original SCWF posting by yobokies for ordering them though... I'll keep looking.

Edit: some more pics here...

A better idea (although have no idea about the site itself) of pricing / contact info are here...
    Last edited by chrmbly; June 12th, 2010 at 14:06.
    Chris
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by tfar View Post
    Are you sure you want a non-hacking (no second stop), non-winding watch? I can deal with non-hacking but non-winding is a pain if you don't wear it regularly and don't have a winder.
    My thoughts too, which has prevented me from buying any Seiko with the 7S26 movement. I had one once but could never trust it to run overnight. Not a problem if you wear it all the time, but otherwise a nuisance.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

I have no problem with it being non-windup, that'll just give me another reason to wear it all the time.

The thing is, it seems like a really nice watch, but as a 19 year old student, it's a little difficult to spend money on a "nice" watch. I have a $500 Victorinox that I bought myself a long time ago after working part of a summer, but the thing is, I don't want to have a lot of value on my hand.

I returned my Mudman because the buttons are ridiculously hard to press that when you say "go", you'll actually start measuring a couple of seconds later. And I didn't feel like boiling it.

My main problem with the Seiko is authenticity. People say that it's not worth it to replicate something already cheap but it is still done. It's odd to me that Seiko doesn't list it on their site. I can't find anywhere to buy it in Canada. And I don't know any big box store that sells it. eBay I can't trust because they're all different in some way. And the sellers on Amazon buy it from the same place as those people who sell it on eBay. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I could find it for sub $120 and I knew it was fully 100% genuine.

You can trust the first of those traders 100%. Amazon don't sell fakes.

Neither would I hesitate to buy from the second two traders, even if they are Amazon traders rather than Amazon.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    You can trust the first of those traders 100%. Amazon don't sell fakes.

Neither would I hesitate to buy from the second two traders, even if they are Amazon traders rather than Amazon.
    OH THAT'S TRUE. I JUST noticed that the first seller is AMAZON. Thanks for pointing that out.

My only question is, the first link I provided, and this from creationwatches. How come the dates are different colors. I see this all the time. Sometimes white, and sometimes red. Is that okay?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information