Need help to restore a watch

Thread: Need help to restore a watch

Question Need help to restore a watch

Hi guys,

First of all, sorry that this request is not related to a G-Shock but to a Casio Oceanus, but this seems to be the closest forum...

The thing is that I'd like to restore a watch my mother gave me on my 18th birthday, but there are several parts I can't find, more importantly the movement, with the crown at 4.

The original watch, a CASIO OCEANUS 343 MW-501, looks more or less like this one (this is not my watch, but it is the same model):

Name:  casio-oceanus-23280-MLA20245287584_022015-F.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  177.1 KB

From what I've learnt, this watch has two movements. A digital one, and the analog one. I'd like to keep the analog one only, but I would need a new machine and a face withouth the calendar window.

Can anyone give me a hand in finding the corresponding parts?

I'd really appreciate your help on this, because as I said, this was a gift from my mother, and I want to keep this watch running for sentimental reasons. I had it for over 21 years and I'd like to pass it onto my son.

Thank you!!

Leandro

PS: After a restoration attempt, my watch now looks like this (today's photo):

Name:  20160317_144512.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  280.4 KB

It looks fine to me, but I'd like to bring it back to original, or as much as I can, with a white face (but without the date window), the brown leather strap and a new machine with the crown at 4 (now it has a Miyota with the crown at 3, so to change the hour I must visit a repair shop).
    Last edited by Leandro AR; March 17th, 2016 at 19:52.

Re: Need help to restore a watch

Thanks for posting here and sharing your story of your vintage watch! Here are my 3 recommendations:
    1. I know you may not be a native English speaker, but people would have trouble understanding what exactly you want from your post. I see that you've already modified your watch with some other parts. But you're still looking to find the original parts, is that what you want? What do you mean by "new machine"? You mean the analog movement?

2. Though this is a Casio forum, majority of the members here are modifying digital watches. If you want modifications of analog watches, probably you have better luck in the Citizen and Seiko forum. As you're already modified it with a Miyota / Citizen movement.

3. This is a very old watch, trace back to the early 1990's. As far as I know Casio may not have any parts any more for this watch. So you have to either substitute with some other parts, or get a used watch of the same model if you're lucky to find one.

Quote Originally Posted by Leandro AR View Post
    Hi guys,

First of all, sorry that this request is not related to a G-Shock but to a Casio Oceanus, but this seems to be the closest forum...

The thing is that I'd like to restore a watch my mother gave me on my 18th birthday, but there are several parts I can't find, more importantly the movement, with the crown at 4.

The original watch, a CASIO OCEANUS 343 MW-501, looks more or less like this one (this is not my watch, but it is the same model):

From what I've learnt, this watch has two movements. A digital one, and the analog one. I'd like to keep the analog one only, but I would need a new machine and a face withouth the calendar window.

Can anyone give me a hand in finding the corresponding parts?

I'd really appreciate your help on this, because as I said, this was a gift from my mother, and I want to keep this watch running for sentimental reasons. I had it for over 21 years and I'd like to pass it onto my son.

Thank you!!

Leandro

PS: After a restoration attempt, my watch now looks like this (today's photo):

It looks fine to me, but I'd like to bring it back to original, or as much as I can, with a white face (but without the date window), the brown leather strap and a new machine with the crown at 4 (now it has a Miyota with the crown at 3, so to change the hour I must visit a repair shop).

Can I ask, if it's not a silly or obvious question, is the module in your watch definitely not working then? Have you tried a battery? Or is it just that you literally want to completely change the module anyway?

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50F using Tapatalk
    A watch is for life, not just for the WRUW thread!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think your restoration efforts look pretty good, and in spirit it still the same watch you received , albeit with some new parts,
    though I can understand your desire to return it to its original condition.
    I'm guessing Casio has no parts for these ani/digi movements, so I'm thinking searching eBay (patience is key) for a donor movement, either for a complete running movement, or one to salvage parts to fix yours. The trick is figuring out which models used this movement and finding a watch maker who can do the work.

Good luck! I applaud your efforts to hand down a future heirloom.
    Omega Speedmaster professional 3570
    Seiko 6309-7040, 6309 Loy mod, 6309 Yobokies mod, 6139 Pogue, Blumo, Black Monster 2nd gen, 7002 mod, sbbn015
    Bulova Accutron Deepsea 1970 (sold, with occasional moments of regret)
    Primato Valjoux 7734 chrono
    Vostok Zissou
    Tag Heur Formula 1 WAH1110
    Casio G-shock GD-100
    Poljot ​3133
    Mido 7750 70’s Chrono

"Tough times don't last, tough watches do."

Thread Information