Need Help! Vintage DW5900 Sound Issue.

Thread: Need Help! Vintage DW5900 Sound Issue.

MET

Need Help! Vintage DW5900 Sound Issue.

I recently purchased a vintage DW5900 for my collection. When I received it I noticed that I could not adjust the time by depressing the adjust button. I figured something was not making contact in the case. So, I opened up the case to see if I could make an adjustment. Sure enough the contactor was out of alignment so I moved it into the correct position. However during this operation, what looks like s tiny spring fell out of the case. The problem is that I did not see where it came from. In addition the alarm and signal sounds are not working. Could these two issues be related? These G-Shocks are pretty tough and (although possible) I think it is unlikely that this feature is defective. I’ve replaced batteries before (in my GW300A-1V) and was careful to note where the springs came from. However, this one was so small I did not notice it until I was done make the adjustments.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Need Help! Vintage DW5900 Sound Issue.

You've correctly identified the problem - the spring is required for alarm and signal sounds. Sjors has posted an illustrated 'How To' on battery replacement (see top of this page). The pictures don't relate to your model, but there aren't too many places where the spring can go. Some trial and error should have you sorted.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Yep. That spring is for the alarm and beep sounds. It projects from the back of the module and makes contact with the speaker on the back of the case-back. If the watch has a rubber cover that goes on the module before the case-back, you can use that to try and find where the spring fits. Or, you can look at the case-back for the speaker to try and get an idea.

Good luck.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

MET

Yeah! You guys hit the nail right on the head. With some trial and error I was to figure out where the spring came from. However, the spring that was provided with the watch is not the original so it would have never worked no matter what I tried. I had to take a similar spring from an old Casio parts watch to make it work.

Thanks for all of your help.

Thread Information