Need help w/ first G-Shock purchase (5600 model)
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Need help w/ first G-Shock purchase (5600 model)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Need help w/ first G-Shock purchase (5600 model)

Hey G-Shock enthusiasts,
    I've decided to purchase my first G-Shock as an everyday casual watch and have narrowed my choice down to the DW-5600E and GW-M5610-1.
    Do you guys think the Solar/Atomic option is worth the extra $50? I understand its ultimately up to me to decide if its worth the extra, but I'm new to G-Shocks so i would like some feedback from others.
    Any help or opinions are welcomed. Thank you!

Picture for reference: DW-5600E ($41) vs. GW-M5610-1 ($91)
    Name:  gwm56001er2.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  169.4 KB

Re: Need help w/ first G-Shock purchase (5600 model)

I like solar in part because when you change the battery on a water resistant watch, the person who does the change usually says they cannot guarantee that the watch remains water resistant. Perhaps different if Casio does the battery change. Also no need to take it in for a change (understanding that the solar battery will likely wear out at some point).

If if you are in a region where you can get radio time signals, I like the fact that the watch synchs (and my RC G Shocks synch almost every night in St Paul MN). Time is more accurate this way. However, given the accuracy of Casio Quartz watches, usually better than their 15 seconds per month specs in my experience, this may be of limited practical use. It does automatically change for daylight savings.

Solar and time sync is a must, pay it!

Watches: G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400 - Mudmaster GWG-1000
    The best Casio G-Shock is the next one...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would definitely go for the upgrade if cash isn't an issue. Atomic and solar is great as is the more interesting color scheme IMO.

Also keep in mind on the cheaper DW-5600E the "adjust" button on the upper left of the watch face is recessed compared to the rest of the buttons and requires a pen or tip of something to use it for adjusting time and other functions. That's not the case on the atomic/solar versions where all four buttons protrude and can easily be pressed.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454515828.779075.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  207.3 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Guy!
    you can choose freely, there's no rule to state DW5600E is better than GWM5610 or the opposite. I bought the two of them, and also add the Dw5600BB
    Name:  3 square.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  57.4 KB

Keep in mind that the only difference are not only SOLAR+RADIONCONTROL, but also GWM5610 module has a lot more features:
    - Worldtime
    - 5 alarms
    - Snooze function

Generally speaking, according to me, SOLAR and RADIO are not must to have in G because:
    - battery also in a normal DW5600E will last years
    - a normal 5600E will also be very precise

So, you have to understand if the price difference is OK or not. Both are great watches!

Another vote for the solar/atomic 5610. Not having to worry about battery changes is great, and it's really cool owning watches that link up to the mother ship every night for time correction in a nerdy, geeky kind of way!
    Tom

Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more, than the traveling hands of time.

Buy the $40 dw5600e, then save some more monies to buy the $290+ gw-5000 . You will be happy the rest of your life. :))

wish my present self could time travel and tell my past self the exact same thing i typed above ^_^
    torgny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by onlyjjp View Post
    I've decided to purchase my first G-Shock as an everyday casual watch and have narrowed my choice down to the DW-5600E and GW-M5610-1.
    Do you guys think the Solar/Atomic option is worth the extra $50? I understand its ultimately up to me to decide if its worth the extra, but I'm new to G-Shocks so i would like some feedback from others.
    Solar and atomic features can be really great, but they can also be a huge source of frustration for people with OCD and people who can't (or won't) read the owner's manual and/or follow instructions.

Do you live in a part of the world that is covered by one or more of the various atomic clock's radio signals? If so, atomic is a great feature to know that your watch is always accurate and won't need to be adjusted twice a year when Daylight Saving Time starts and ends. Do you live in Australia, India, or one of the many parts of the world where those radio signals don't reach? If so, you won't be able to use (or fully use) the atomic features without a bit of work, which certainly takes away from the convenience.

Do you have any outdoor hobbies and/or work outdoors? If so, solar is a great way to be able to use the alarms and backlight of the watch and never worry about draining the battery, since it will recharge itself! Are you an office worker whose main hobbies are binge-watching TV or computer gaming in a dark room, spelunking and/or cave diving? If so, you're going to have to put your watch outdoors (or in a window) every once in a while to keep it charged up. Realize that the actual solar panel's surface area is only about one square centimeter, so it's not going to fully charge in minutes of sun exposure -- it takes HOURS to go from "low" to "high." The good news is that once it's fully charge it should last close to a year in total darkness until it gets back to "low."

I have 15 solar/atomic watches now, love the "set it once and forget it" simplicity, and don't mind having to give a few of them "sunbaths" once or twice a year -- which is the downside to owning so many solar watches. If I only had one or two, I spend enough time outdoors that they would stay fully charged year round.

Quote Originally Posted by CK89101 View Post
    Also keep in mind on the cheaper DW-5600E the "adjust" button on the upper left of the watch face is recessed compared to the rest of the buttons and requires a pen or tip of something to use it for adjusting time and other functions. That's not the case on the atomic/solar versions where all four buttons protrude and can easily be pressed.
    As has been noted in many other threads, this is a "design feature" and NOT a flaw!

The "adjust" button on the DW-5600E is recessed on purpose, since it goes into "adjust mode" instantly as soon as the button is pushed. If the button weren't recessed, it would do this every time the button were bumped by a sleeve or anything else.

The "adjust" button on the GW-M5610 (and most newer models) requires that the button is pressed and held down for two seconds before the watch goes into "adjust mode." Because of that "safety" feature the button doesn't need to be recessed.

Until today I don't think I've ever heard of anybody using a pen to adjust their DW-5600E -- most people just use their fingernail to press the button.

NASA didn't have a problem with the recessed button on the DW-5600C or -5600E, so I'm not sure why people have started complaining about it now.

Quote Originally Posted by kcohS-G View Post
    Buy the $40 dw5600e, then save some more monies to buy the $290+ gw-5000 . You will be happy the rest of your life. :))
    When the GW-5000 fans bring up that model in these threads, it would be nice if they'd explain to the new guys what the heck is going on, so other people don't have to.

The GW-5000 is FUNCTIONALLY IDENTICAL to the GW-M5610 and shares the same electronic module. It costs three times as much because it's one of the very few current digital G's that has a metal case hiding under the resin bezel with a threaded, screw-down back, and it features a highly polished "diamond-like coating" on the metal surfaces. It's also a lot heavier because of the metal case, and relatively exclusive because it has to be imported from Japan. For people who appreciate the extra weight of a metal watch, it's great -- for people who appreciate the light weight of most digital watches, the GW-M5610 is better in that regard.

To most people, the GW-5000 looks just like the $40 G-Shock they saw at Walmart and Target and they won't understand why someone would pay $300 or more for it.
    Last edited by Mike K; February 3rd, 2016 at 18:12.

The Gw-M5610 has more alarms, and a snooze alarm is great to have... But the alarm volume itself is sort of weak. You can still hear it, and it's not the feeblest one ever (that's the MRG-100, in my experience), being audible even amid the cacophony of BIC Camera Ikebukuro. But the DW-5600 is much louder, and rings for 20 seconds, as opposed to only 10 for the GW-M5610.

You can do the battery change(s) yourself, and the difference in price will pay for batteries for many years.

Personally, this one is currently on my hunter-seeker radar:Name:  glx-5600_shiny.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  92.7 KB GLX-5600-1 (pic stolen from internet)

Sorry, OP, not really helping, am I!
    Last edited by zabat; February 3rd, 2016 at 19:35.

I couldn't decide between those 2, so I just got both. The DW-5600E reminded me so much of my old DW-5000C that I couldn't pass it up. But then the attraction of the radio/solar of the GWM560-1 was irresistible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information