Need Owner's Opinion: AMW320
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Need Owner's Opinion: AMW320

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Need Owner's Opinion: AMW320

The AMW320 is one of the longest running analog / digital watches for Casio. It was featured in many movies as well. It went through couple of module changes through its history: original was 358 (1 button left / 1 button right); then 1374 (2 buttons on left); the recent ones are 2701 (also 2 buttons on left, not sure what other difference). Even for the newest module version, some of the models (color & face design variations) are pretty hard to find. In addition, some of the related products, like the solar AMWS320 and solar atomic WVA320, are very hard to be found for sale also. Looks like Casio either stopped or cut down on the production. Or may be there are a lot of collectors out there for them. Also the owners probably just like them too much and not easily let them go.

The AMW320 is no doubt a classic. But it does lack digital functionality the current Casio's have. Such as it has no timer, and no light function at night. Recently I came across a video (see below), and realized how small and simple the module is inside. On one hand, its simplicity makes it easy to maintain and even to mod (like to re-lume). On the other hand, it does look cheap inside and makes me wonder whether if it really worth its value only based on its exterior design.

So I like hear the opinions from the owners.
    1. How good is the original lume?
    2. How frequently you need to change battery?
    3. After seeing how simple the inside is, do you regret your choice?

Any other input welcome. Non-owner welcome to chime in too, if you have good inputs.
    Last edited by watch_geek2014; December 15th, 2014 at 07:59.

Re: Need Owner's Opinion: AMW320

Hi... Apleasure to help with your doubts. First, quick answers j
    1. Pretty poor as on all Casios (even the top of line)
    2. Two years max, without using alarms too much.
    3. Yes, i do regret.

Second an analysis. As a matter of age, 52 ,I am a long term Casio client. I used the first Casio's pocket calculators at school ( yes those with the green light) and I bought new of the first G'Shocks (dw5200) and lots of other stuff. Always was VERY satisfied with the quality. I bought 2 AMW320 module 2701, one black dialed, one white a couple of years ago, following the great reviews in all Casio related forums. Great mistake. They have a nice case, all steel, smooth bezel though bi-directional, great band, better than most G's) and that's all.
    Poor lume, poor buttons action, poor module
    capabilities, no light. The buttons began with trouble very soon, being very hard to push and satisfactory do what they have to do . When the first battery died, I opened the back and found the reason, I could nor believe that was a Casio. Not simple as you said. Only cheap and bad quality. A shame. The buttons spring action is done by a piece of plastic which serves also as movement holder. Crap. I think even the F-91 is better executed. So, a nice watch that seems a good watch but inside is ..... I can not rely on this watches. My advice: Run away. Spend the money in a G or even a DW290 and you'll have a great watch for years. Regards.
    Luis.
    Last edited by Subafan; December 15th, 2014 at 13:05.
    watch_geek2014 likes this.

I think I bought mine around 1995, they have been made since 1990, so they have been around for a long time.

"Casio has produced some classic watches over the years, none more so than the Casio AMW320 and more specifically the champagne dial model. Its iconic, primarily because Arnold Schwarzenegger wore it in the movies Kindergarten Cop (1990) and Last Action Hero (1993). These are commonly referred to as the "Casio Arnie"."

Mine (below) has been through (wore out) two of the original resin bands and now it's wearing a nylon NATO but the watch keeps going. It has been a "beater" for the past ten years or so usually worn while I ride my John Deere diesel tractor mowing my 5 acres of grass every week in the summer. That is a lot of vibration, so much that the original seconds hand fell off a few times and finally I replaced it with a new one that has stayed put for a few years now without a problem. It's a AMW-320-9EV.
    Name:  CasioAMW329001.jpg
Views: 2011
Size:  151.3 KB

Yes, it does look "cheap on the inside" but I have found many watches, some far more expensive, that are a disappointment when you remove the back. But this watch has proven to me that it must be well made to still be running.

The lume is nothing to brag about, not as good as Seiko or Citizen but it is acceptable. It does fade away much quicker.

Battery life for mine, I think it usually goes about three years but I don't push the button very often.

NO regrets buying it at all, it has been through a lot, been abused, banged, dropped and worn many hours on a high vibration diesel tractor. Other than the seconds hand it has been great.
    Last edited by TixTox; December 15th, 2014 at 13:20.
    “Time is an illusion.” ― Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator G-Shock Forum

my report:

Battery life: poor, 2 years with luck.
    Movement: very bad below the casio standard. The second hand is not aligned with the digital so you have to adjust the second hand together with the digital time every time you set the watch. Even the 20$ ana-digi casios have the second-hand-less movement which is moving every 20sec. the hands. Those can be set at deviations less then 20 sec. without adjusting the hands.
    Of 2 AMW-320 watches 1 movement failed after warranty period, the analog part got struck.

Regret: a little bit because i lost every thrust in the movement of the remaining watch and never wear it.

Last edited by d2mac; December 15th, 2014 at 13:26.

Mine is an early version, buttons on each side, it has been good. But after reading the other two replies I have to wonder why mine is still going.

I do agree that getting the analog and digital time in sync is a PIA, I used to fuss over that too. I haven't even tried lately and just look at the analog time and ignore the digital.
    “Time is an illusion.” ― Albert Einstein

Thanks for the great inputs everyone, that really clears up some of my doubts! Keep them coming.

Quote Originally Posted by TixTox View Post
    Mine is an early version, buttons on each side, it has been good. But after reading the other two replies I have to wonder why mine is still going.
    You never know, the original version may be better made. Newer products tend to cut more corners in manufacturing.

I have two of them. First I got in 1990 (white). Last battery was changed in 2011 and ran until this year - almost exactly 3 years. The new one (black) was bought in June 2013 and battery stopped in October this year (don't know how long it was in store). I would say the old one has slightly better build quality but the new movement IMO is better. Lume was always poor. I have no regrets buying either.

I wish the thing had a backlight

Delta-Whiskey-Delta-Five-Five-Zero-Zero.....huh, it's the positive display one

Delta-Whiskey-Five-Six-Zero-Zero-Echo
    6645-01-356-5944

Foxtrot-Niner-One-Whiskey

PVD AMW-320

AMW-S320, nice old Solar ani-digital diver in need of a cleaning

Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account:

Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

Damn, you almost got every variation! What happened to this one?

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    PVD AMW-320

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information