Need Owner's Opinions: EFM-100 VS. MTF-E001
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Need Owner's Opinions: EFM-100 VS. MTF-E001

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Owner's Opinions: EFM-100 VS. MTF-E001

I'm the type of the guy that hate the need to set the day/date window every other month or so for analog watches. But coming from an analog/digital root, some of the analog watches are just too beautiful to let my eyes off from them. I've been looking at the EFM-100 for long while now. Then recently, darn you show-off'er in here , I can't get my eyes off the MTF-E001, which is a model I did not know exist before. So comparing the two models, I can't help to see a lot of similarities. One thing immediately is that they both have large hour and minute hands. They also near identical size and weight from the specs below. They used the same battery as well. The primary difference are: they use different type of rotational bezels; one is 200M WR and the other is only 100M; one has date/day window the other only date.

Name:  EFM100.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  40.0 KBName:  MTFE001.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  21.9 KB

EFM-100 MTF-E001
    Module 5249 5116
    Lume Type (?) Not Specified NeoBrite
    3 Hands Yes Yes
    Hour Markers Box Shape Box and Numeric
    Display Window Date/Day Date only
    Bezel Use For Timing in minutes (60min) Direction (360 degrees)
    Bezel Rotation By Hand By Additional Crown
    Crystal Type Mineral Mineral
    Case Type Stainless Steel Stainless Steel
    Screw Back Yes Yes
    Screw In Crown Yes Yes
    Band Type Resin Resin
    Water Resistance 200M 100M
    Accuracy +/- 20 sec / month +/- 20 sec / month
    Battery Type SR626SW x 1 SR626SW x 1
    Battery Life 3 Years 3 Years
    Case H x W x D 50.0 x 46.0 x 12.5mm 51.00 x 45.00 x 13.10mm
    Weight 100g 103g

So I like to ask the respective owners on the two watches:
    1. How good is the lume?
    2. Is the second hand lumed?
    3. How long the battery lasts in your experience?
    4. Why you choose the watch?
    5. What's your preference between the two?

If you're not a owner for either, but have some good inputs, feel free to chime in too. Thanks in advance!

Re: Need Owner's Opinions: EFM-100 VS. MTF-E001

I have just ordered the EFM-100-1A4 (stainless steel strap and orange bezel). I almost ordered the blue bezel one and may still buy it at the end of Jan. I also looked at the MTF watch but didn't want the extra crown for the rotating slide rule and the EFM-100 to me is more of a classic style Divers watch along the Rolex Sub lines. Plus with 200m water resistance it's better sealed in my opinion.
    watch_geek2014 likes this.
    Garrard Automatic 9ct Swiss Movement
    Rotary GS03351
    Casio Phys STR-300
    Citizen AT2205-01E
    Seiko SRP475K1
    Citizen BY0100-51H
    Casio EFM-100D-1A4VDF
    G-Shock GW-M5610-1ER

Thanks Steven, don't forget to show us some pics and some lume shots.

No one else own these or want to comment on their EFM-100 / MTF-E001? At least show some Lume shots, please. Yes, I'm a lume junkie.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by watch_geek2014 View Post
    Thanks Steven, don't forget to show us some pics and some lume shots.

No one else own these or want to comment on their EFM-100 / MTF-E001? At least show some Lume shots, please. Yes, I'm a lume junkie.
    I'll get some lume shots for you, as soon as the battery charges in my camera, it's dead.
    “Time is an illusion.” ― Albert Einstein

So I like to ask the respective owners on the two watches:
    1. How good is the lume?
    2. Is the second hand lumed?
    3. How long the battery lasts in your experience?
    4. Why you choose the watch?
    5. What's your preference between the two?

If you're not a owner for either, but have some good inputs, feel free to chime in too. Thanks in advance!
    Waiting on camera to charge so I'll try to answer a few questions and post a few pics. Lume shots later.

I will add one thing to you list of features above. The MTF's have a screw down crown as noted, but the crown for the bezel is not. It does however use a tight fitting O-ring to seal and it seems to do it's job since a friend that owns one never takes his off (including showering ) and it hasn't leaked yet.

I liked the look of the MTF and bought one without knowing much about it. I wasn't disappointed and I still like it...them, I own three. The second was purchased as a backup because I liked the first one so much. The third is a all black MTF-E002 chrono...why not?

I own a lot of watches but I get more comments when wearing these than any other, people do notice them. Thinking about it I don't remember any comments on the chrono except from my wife, she likes it. Two of my friends bought a MTF-E001 after they saw mine. One day when I was wearing mine almost daily they both came to pick me up to go to shooting and I noticed they were both wearing theirs, I hate that, I went back in the house and changed my watch. Three guys all wearing the same watch is just weird. I haven't worn mine as much after that and have since discovered GShocks.

The lume is a little better than most Casio's mostly because there is more of it. I don't understand why Casio hasn't figured out how to buy lume that works as well as Seiko or Citizen. It's not expensive so using a better lume wouldn't add more than 50 cents to the cost.

I can't help with the battery life since none of mine have needed one yet. It is a small battery but it doesn't have to do much compared to a GShock analog/digital.

I have had one of mine apart to change a broken crystal, it came that way. I didn't notice anything that made me think it wasn't worth the cost. Solidly made and heavy, keeps good time and rugged good looks.

Some pics that you may have already seen.

I have a Bertucci NATO on this one, IMO the best NATO strap made. I really like it on this strap.
    Name:  CasioMTFE001001.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  200.1 KB

Here's the MTF-E002
    Name:  CasioMTFE002001.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  197.5 KB

All three
    Name:  CasioMTEs001.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  211.3 KB

Here's the one when it was waiting on it's new crystal. I thought I had a pic of the movement but I don't but you can guage it's size by the movement holder in the pic.
    Name:  CasioMTFE001003.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  138.1 KB
    Last edited by TixTox; January 3rd, 2015 at 03:57.

Quote Originally Posted by TixTox View Post
    ... Three guys all wearing the same watch is just weird. I haven't worn mine as much after that and have since discovered GShocks...
    Ha ha ha... I guess it's like 3 ladies with the same dress at the same time!

Ha ha ha... I guess it's like 3 ladies with the same dress at the same time!
    Two is bad enough! Once a friend talked me into going on a blind date with a friend of a girl he wanted to go out with. So we both go to the one girls house to pick them both up, we were going to go to a club where our other friends would be. When they answered the door dressed identically I could have choked my friend that arranged that. One was tall and blond the other was a short brunette both wearing the exact same outfit. I decided we would go see a new movie where nobody would see us with them, American Graffiti...that's how long ago this was.

I got some lume shots for you but it didn't go as I had planned, like the date above.

I had planned on a longer time between the shots but my camera just won't do what I wanted. After 15 minutes it will not capture anything, not enough time for the correct exposure. I miss my 35mm cameras.

I stayed in the darkened room for the 20 minutes so my eyes adjusted to the darkness. After 20 I had no problem telling the time on any of the watches, but the MTF-E001 was the dimmest. But not really included in this test was the MTF-E002 off to the left and it didn't get the direct charging light the others did, it did much better. Maybe because it is much newer.

MTF-E001 - Citizen - GShock G1200
    Name:  Lumetest001.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  247.0 KB

This pic was 5 minutes after I turned off the light. The picture is close to how my eyes saw it.
    Name:  Lumetest002.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  44.3 KB

I'm sorry I couldn't take it further, need a better camera.

I just now went back to the room almost an hour after the first pics that is still dark and with my eyes unadjusted to darkness I can still read the time on all four. The Citizen is the brightest and I'm sure it will still be readable hours from now. The MTF-E002 is much brighter than the MTF-E001 but not as bright as the G1200.

That's the best I can do, hope it helps some. If not you can at least laugh at my date story.
    Last edited by TixTox; January 3rd, 2015 at 05:14.
    AirWatch and watch_geek2014 like this.

Very well done man! That's more than helpful to me. Obviously Casio lume is still no compare to Citizen as you proved, not to even mention Seiko. But a G with a better lume? That's a surprise! I always thought all G's have mediocre lume, even compare to other lines of watches in Casio. This proved me wrong. I think you're probably right that the difference between your E002 and E001 is due to age. It's also possible that they put a bit more lume to the E002 because it's pricier. Anyway, thanks for doing this.

As a comment for your post before this, I don't think the E001 (or E002 for that matter) is designed for withstanding the shock of shooting. It's easy to see from your photo when it was taken apart, there's little padding compare to G's. A few times of target practice may be fine, but prolong exposure to shock may just shorten its life. Glad you decided to go with G's, they fare much better with that activity.

For your date story, I always thought it's ladies who hate another lady showing up with the same dress. But the ladies you and your friend dated, obviously they didn't mind wearing the same dress! Turned out it was You who disliked dating a lady wearing the same dress as your friend's date, the other way around. I guess it would be fine if you were dating them both by yourself, like having two E001's. LOL

I chose my EFM-100-1A4 for it's looks and I have seen a leather strap I am going to buy to accompany it too. I use my Seiko 5 Sports watch for the lume which last through the night on my bedside cabinet.
    My new Citizen BY0100-51H watch has great lume too but I leave it on the window sill at night so it gets it's atomic-time signals.
    Garrard Automatic 9ct Swiss Movement
    Rotary GS03351
    Casio Phys STR-300
    Citizen AT2205-01E
    Seiko SRP475K1
    Citizen BY0100-51H
    Casio EFM-100D-1A4VDF
    G-Shock GW-M5610-1ER

Hi guys,

does anyone have any photos with the Orange Casio EFM-100D-1A4 on a NATO strap. I have ordered it and would like to save some time and order a nato strap but I am looking into color options. Thanks!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information