Need Recommendation - Going Into the Army Soon
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Need Recommendation - Going Into the Army Soon

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hi everyone, I think it's first time for me to post a thread in G-Shock forum.

I'm soon going into the army. I am looking for a watch I could take with me, and I thought G-Shocks were a must to take a look at first.

I narrowed my personal choices down to 2 G-Shocks and there is 1 G-Shock recommended to me by a website.

AWG-M100-1ACR, Aw-591-2Aer are my personal choices,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91dcsRMV3LL._UY606_.jpg 
Views:	781 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	7090778Name:  71MDGCcWdLL._UY500_.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  36.5 KB

GD350-8 G is the one I found when was in a search for "Best Military G-Shock".

Name:	91OiQPA6fVL._UY606_.jpg 
Views:	766 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	7090810

Function wise, the GD one seems like to be an obvious winner, but to me it just looks so ugly when I searched for wrist shots. I myself like dress watches without complicated dials in general, maybe that is why my personal two choices are analog style and quite clean (maybe not the second one, but I picked it because of the color). Obviously, if I had to choose between the two, I would pick the first blue one. It looks so good....

QUALITIES I AM LOOKING FOR

0. (PREFERABLY) ANALOG DISPLAY. I don't care much for digital time display, although if it fits all criteria below, I will have to take it.

1. STEALTH ALARM. Stealth alarm would be lovely, as I need to wake myself up quite often early in the morning like 5:30~6:00 am-ish. I hope I can actually wake up from it though. I'm a heavy sleeper...

2. LEGIBILITY IN DARK OR IN EXTREME BRIGHTNESS. So many reviews about how the watch was impossible to read. Ideally I would like to be able to easily set up alarm function while in total dark, but if that is asking for too much, perfect legibility on the current time in dark is good enough.

3. SHOCK RESISTANT. I'm not in a navy, but in an army, so SR would be more important to me than WR. I will go through some pretty heavy training involving crawling in mud / up the mountain, etc, and sadly no G-Shock offers sapphire glass, so I think I will have to prioritize myself in finding one with good SR.

4. SIZE. I do not have a big wrist - 16 cm, which is about 6.3" apparently. Therefore I think I need one that is not TOO big (case diameter less than 48mm preferred, but again, if it fits all criteria above, I will have to take it).

5. BATTERY. Anything over 3 years is fine, but it should have a life more than 3 years FOR CERTAIN. Plus, I don't want a solar powered one. I will go into a training once in a while but most of the time I will be working inside an office, with computers.

ALL OTHER FEATURES ARE NOT NECESSARY.

Water resistance, it should be enough to withstand the rain, 100m perhaps, I think that isn't a problem cuz most watches have that.

Stuff like GMT is TOTALLY unneeded.

If you guys have any that come up in mind, please do share!

Thank you in advance, gentlemen!
    Last edited by humanalien; February 16th, 2016 at 20:29.
    Favorites brands, in order:
    Andreas Strehler, Grönefeld, Romain Gauthier, Rolex, H. Moser & Cie, Moritz Grossmann, Raul Pagés, Lang & Heyne, Urban Jürgensen, Glashütte Original, Vacheron Constantin, Schwarz-Etienne,Czapek & Cie, Zenith, Ressence, MING, Arnold & Son, Jaquet Droz, Hentschel, Maurice Lacroix, Girard Perregaux, Dornblüth & Sohn, Eterna, Parmigiani, Perrelet, Raymond Weil, Tag Heuer, Bulova, Tourby, Orient, and many more :)

~ Musician ~

Re: Need Recommendation - Going Into the Army Soon

Quote Originally Posted by humanalien View Post

I'm soon going into the army. I am looking for a watch I could take with me, and I thought G-Shocks were a must to take a look at first.

I narrowed my personal choices down to 2 G-Shocks and there is 1 G-Shock recommended to me by a website.

Function wise, the GD one seems like to be an obvious winner, but to me it just looks so ugly when I searched for wrist shots. I myself like dress watches without complicated dials in general, maybe that is why my personal two choices are analog style and quite clean (maybe not the second one, but I picked it because of the color). Obviously, if I had to choose between the two, I would pick the first blue one. It looks so good....

0. (PREFERABLY) ANALOG DISPLAY. I don't care much for digital time display, although if it fits all criteria below, I will have to take it.

1. STEALTH ALARM. Stealth alarm would be lovely, as I need to wake myself up quite often early in the morning like 5:30~6:00 am-ish. I hope I can actually wake up from it though. I'm a heavy sleeper...

2. LEGIBILITY IN DARK OR IN EXTREME BRIGHTNESS. So many reviews about how the watch was impossible to read. Ideally I would like to be able to easily set up alarm function while in total dark, but if that is asking for too much, perfect legibility on the current time in dark is good enough.

3. SHOCK RESISTANT. I'm not in a navy, but in an army, so SR would be more important to me than WR. I will go through some pretty heavy training involving crawling in mud / up the mountain, etc, and sadly no G-Shock offers sapphire glass, so I think I will have to prioritize myself in finding one with good SR.

4. SIZE. I do not have a big wrist - 16 cm, which is about 6.3" apparently. Therefore I think I need one that is not TOO big (case diameter less than 48mm preferred, but again, if it fits all criteria above, I will have to take it).

5. BATTERY. Anything over 3 years is fine, but it should have a life more than 3 years FOR CERTAIN. Plus, I don't want a solar powered one. I will go into a training once in a while but most of the time I will be working inside an office, with computers.

Water resistance, it should be enough to withstand the rain, 100m perhaps, I think that isn't a problem cuz most watches have that.

I own an AWG-M100A. It's a beautiful watch. Regarding your requirements listed above.

0. The white hands on the black dial are very easy to read.

1. The alarm sound is very weak, and it does not have a vibration option.

2. The LED light only illuminates the hands, not the three LCDs, so the latter are not visible at night. Even in the daytime, the negative LCDs are hard to read except in bright light. Setting the alarm in the dark is a challenge on most G-Shocks. To do so it's best to have a dedicated (5th) light button, and you have to mute the button beeps otherwise the light will go out when you press any button that makes a beep (there are other recent threads on this). There are some other variations of the AWG-M100 with a dark dial and positive LCDs recently posted on other threads here. Unfortunately, the LCDs are still not illuminated at night.

3. It should have decent shock resistance.

4. It is definitely a smaller G, and should fit a smaller wrist with no problem.

5. It is solar powered, so I guess that removes it from your list (I guess I should have noted this before replying to all of your other points).

For your training and going through the mud, maybe a battery-powered Mudman would be a good choice, although it's digital only. Like this:

G9000-1V - G-Shock, Mens, Tough, Water Resistant, Analog, Digital, Watches | CASIO America, Inc.

I don't have one, but my GW-M850 has a similar module (Edit: Actually, the G-9000 is not the Mudman version that's similar to the GW-M850. It's the solar/atomic GW-9010). Unfortunately the alarm sound in the 850 is very weak (not sure about the G-9000). Also, the G-9000 has red buttons. I'm not sure if the Army allows red buttons on a watch. The G-9000 does have a dedicated light button and a reasonably-big CR2025 battery, which should last longer than the stated 3 years unless you use the light and alarm a lot.

I'm sure many others will reply to this thread with additional info. Good luck with your search.
    Last edited by GaryK30; February 16th, 2016 at 21:27.
    humanalien likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryK30 View Post
    I own an AWG-M100A. It's a beautiful watch. Regarding your requirements listed above.

0. The white hands on the black dial are very easy to read.

1. The alarm sound is very weak, and it does not have a vibration option.

2. The LED light only illuminates the hands, not the three LCDs, so the latter are not visible at night. Even in the daytime, the negative LCDs are hard to read except in bright light. Setting the alarm in the dark is a challenge on most G-Shocks. To do so it's best to have a dedicated (5th) light button, and you have to mute the button beeps otherwise the light will go out when you press any button that makes a beep (there are other recent threads on this). There are some other variations of the AWG-M100 with a dark dial and positive LCDs recently posted on other threads here. Unfortunately, the LCDs are still not illuminated at night.

3. It should have decent shock resistance.

4. It is definitely a smaller G, and should fit a smaller wrist with no problem.

5. It is solar powered, so I guess that removes it from your list (I guess I should have noted this before replying to all of your other points).

For your training and going through the mud, maybe a battery-powered Mudman would be a good choice, although it's digital only. Like this:

G9000-1V - G-Shock, Mens, Tough, Water Resistant, Analog, Digital, Watches | CASIO America, Inc.

I don't have one, but my GW-M850 has a similar module (Edit: Actually, the G-9000 is not the Mudman version that's similar to the GW-M850. It's the solar/atomic GW-9010). Unfortunately the alarm sound in the 850 is very weak (not sure about the G-9000). Also, the G-9000 has red buttons. I'm not sure if the Army allows red buttons on a watch. The G-9000 does have a dedicated light button and a reasonably-big CR2025 battery, which should last longer than the stated 3 years unless you use the light and alarm a lot.

I'm sure many others will reply to this thread with additional info. Good luck with your search.
    Thank you so much for your detailed overview of the watch! Yes, I'm leaning more towards AWG-M100A as well. If I don't find other (better) options through this thread, I'm most likely getting that one... Although I JUST realized that you wrote it's solar powered. Didn't know that, oops.

1. How weak is the alarm sound?

2. Solar powered cells... I just don't know a lot about those. Would you say it's enough to power up the battery and use it for 3 years+ when the daily routine is spent inside a building? Maybe fluorescent lights from the bulbs charge up the cells too?
    Favorites brands, in order:
    Andreas Strehler, Grönefeld, Romain Gauthier, Rolex, H. Moser & Cie, Moritz Grossmann, Raul Pagés, Lang & Heyne, Urban Jürgensen, Glashütte Original, Vacheron Constantin, Schwarz-Etienne,Czapek & Cie, Zenith, Ressence, MING, Arnold & Son, Jaquet Droz, Hentschel, Maurice Lacroix, Girard Perregaux, Dornblüth & Sohn, Eterna, Parmigiani, Perrelet, Raymond Weil, Tag Heuer, Bulova, Tourby, Orient, and many more :)

~ Musician ~

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you so much for your detailed overview of the watch! Yes, I'm leaning more towards AWG-M100A as well. If I don't find other (better) options through this thread, I'm most likely getting that one... Although I JUST realized that you wrote it's solar powered. Didn't know that, oops.

1. How weak is the alarm sound?

2. Solar powered cells... I just don't know a lot about those. Would you say it's enough to power up the battery and use it for 3 years+ when the daily routine is spent inside a building? Maybe fluorescent lights from the bulbs charge up the cells too?
    1. The alarm sound ranks with the weakest of my seven G-Shocks. Most of them are a bit louder, but none of them are what I'd call loud.

2. A work day of office fluorescent light can probably maintain the current charge level, but not increase it. Brighter light will be needed to increase the charge level, for example from Mid to High. See the chart below.

If you're really set on an AWG-M100, and you want to be able to use the additional features besides basic timekeeping, I highly recommend you consider a version with positive LCDs (dark characters on a light background). There are at least four versions I've seen with positive LCDs. I use my AWG-M100A as a simple analog watch, because it's just too difficult to read the negative LCDs under many lighting conditions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Phantasm and humanalien like this.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

If I were you, I'd go with the GD-350. But you're saying you prefer analog, so... I would hesitate to get the AWG models, because although they are decent in their own right, they do fall short in a number of respects. They are TERRIBLE for reading in the dark, if you want to know more than just the time. The LCD dials are not back lit. They are essentially unreadable in the dark. Also, if you like using timers, I'd stay away from the AWG. While it does have timing functions, the display is too small to be of convenient use (fine for "in a pinch" but not much else).

I'd keep looking at other G-Shock models. There are MANY of them, especially analog. Also, consider one of the older Aviator models, which are more affordable than the latest ones.
    Last edited by xevious; February 16th, 2016 at 22:46.
    GaryK30 and Watch_Geekmaster like this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

When you google image military g shock the most popular one is the basic 6900 digital. I don't see many military people wearing analog as the digital will better to display 24 hour time format which you will live and die by.

The lights on the lower end analogs aren't great and as for an alarm, you def won't need it in basic training and when stationed somewhere you can have an alarm clock. Vibe alarm is unneeded unless you really need it as a special ops member etc...Stay away from negative LCD displays for they are very hard to see in day light. Solar G's are good for at least 10 years before replacing the battery and for a more basic solar G it will be charged for 8-10 months about with zero exposure to light. Literally one full sunny day outside and it's good for another 10 months. I would prefer the atomic solar 6900 for precise time keeping and it syncs pretty much anywhere daily unlike other G's that have to be out by a window. Since you will be in an office all day for your army job any higher end G like a Rangeman would be over kill.

Get a cheap digital G then see what the on base PX has to get with your military discount should you like anything else. The watch will be abused in basic training.

DW-6900-1V (most popular military cheap G) only 2 year battery life though.

Solar atomic version, a bit nicer GW-6900-1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CK89101; February 16th, 2016 at 22:51.
    frhoads and soulbridgemedia like this.

IMHO, you really can't go wrong with a GW6900 - it's extremely hard to beat at the price.
    Features: multiband 6 (atomic sync timekeeping) / solar power / world time / 5 decent volume alarms (inc. snz.) / 24 hr countdown timer / stopwatch
    PLUS - timeless classic 'G' design / big but not too big / very comfortable to wear.
    Mine, as you can see, has been mildly modded, and is one of my favourite watches of all time.

Attachment 7092738
    Attached Images Attached Images

frhoads and humanalien like this.

Take a look at this long and fact-filled thread on the subject, and the links within: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/bes...y-1318114.html

This question comes up quite often around here, and there is no "best" answer.

Members with military experience often lean toward basic models for multiple reasons: you'll want a watch that's legible, you probably want something inexpensive because your new watch is likely to be abused in the way G's were designed to be abused, it may be lost or stolen, and you'll likely want a G that's small enough to easily fit under a uniform sleeve.

For all of those reasons, inexpensive and basic G's like the DW-5600E and DW-6900 are frequently recommended.
    Last edited by Mike K; February 17th, 2016 at 01:41. Reason: fixed first hyperlink

Name:	91dcsRMV3LL._UY606_.jpg 
Views:	781 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	7090778Name:  71MDGCcWdLL._UY500_.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  36.5 KB

Name:	91OiQPA6fVL._UY606_.jpg 
Views:	766 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	7090810

Hi Humanalien, there are some considerations for choosing a watch for military purposes.

1) color: stick to dark colors like black, green , grey etc. Tactical colors in short, no bright colors to compromise your position away while the rest of your gears and camo are tactical.

2) digital: I read that you prefer analog. You might want to look into digital. There are many instances where precise digital timings are requirement during operations. Eg. Synchronization of time to your teams to the last seconds. Digital stopwatch/timer for count downs/physical tests etc.

3) compass function: while you may be equip with military compass or GPS, it's good to have a compass on your wrist for quick checks to ensure you or moving in the right direction during navigation or movement towards your targets.

my 2 cents.

If you're willing to consider an atomic/solar digital watch, I can highly recommend the GW-2310-1 (positive LCD). It has a lot of functionality, it's built like a tank, it's reasonably priced, and it's smaller than a typical G, so it fits well on smaller wrists.

GW2310-1 - G-Shock - G-Shock, Mens, Tough, Water Resistant, Analog, Digital, Watches | CASIO America, Inc.
    xevious likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information