Need a replacement for my Riseman!
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Need a replacement for my Riseman!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need a replacement for my Riseman!

Guys, I'm so upset. I lost my Riseman. It's been my go to watch for a while now. The other day I woke up, looked for it and couldn't find it! Now I need a replacement. Been leaning towards something with bigger digits and a more legible display. Narrow it down to SGW100 and PAW500. Which one would you guys get?
    "Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory."--Albert Schweitzer

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Re: Need a replacement for my Riseman!

well, functionwise the PAW-500 is almost the same as the GW-9200, packed into a protrek case. personally I think it looks much nicer (i can't stand the red accents on the riseman), especially with the titanium bracelet.

the SGW-100 is a whole lot cheaper but not necessarily of worse quality. it has one of the most (maybe THE most) uncluttered and easiest to read displays of all casio watches. it lacks the 24 hour stopwatch of the GW-9200/PAW-500 though (only 60min.) and depending if you are a pro/contra atomic/solar guy, it might or might not makes the watch attractive for you due to the lack of both.

both watches have a positive display but a negative illumination (best of both world) which i find particulary nice.

I do own the SGW-100 but not the PAW-500, since i'm done with casio AB(C) watches. the SGW-100 is a steal and probably the only watch you'll ever need. if you lose this one, it's cheap enough not to lose any sleep over it. the PAW-500 on the other hand is more classy and makes probably a better office watch (if you care about such things). in the end it's all a matter of taste, I think you can't go wrong with either.

cheers
    ThomAsio likes this.
    We are 12.6 %

Thanks for the detailed reply. Can the sgw be put on a bracelet? Btw, why are you "done" with casio abc watches?
    "Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory."--Albert Schweitzer

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

IMO. Go get another riseman.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Quote Originally Posted by flipangle View Post
    Thanks for the detailed reply. Can the sgw be put on a bracelet? Btw, why are you "done" with casio abc watches?
    I'm not sure if it can be done. probably with some additional adapters, but given, that casio charges you with about 100 bucks for a stainless steel bracelet only, such a mod will cost much more than the SGW-100 itself....

I'm sick and tired of casios constant disability to bring ABC watches to market with up-to-date sensors and technology. in my opinion casio represents the lowest level of accuracy and functionality in their ABC line of ALL watch companies right now. they still fail to date to incooperate proper and constant thermocompensation (it's a hit or miss, even within the same model range), they don't have the sea level pressure, which is crucial to exact calculations for altitude, they still use 5 meter steps for their altimeters, while other companies do in one meter steps since ages. no altimeter lockouts, too short el-backlight, frozen compass bearings during the use of el, miniature - barely to read - barographs and so on and on. instead of upgrading and getting rid of those obvious shortcomings, they contiue to bring the same models over and over with different colours and fancy price tags to market while resting on the laurels of their "tough solar" and "atomic" (the two last things one needs in a serious ABC watch) marketing bs.

the protrek series is certainly a big eye catcher and gagdget magnet for a lot of people, just not for me (anymore, had enough of them) and for those who are looking for serious ABC alternatives.

cheers
    ThomAsio likes this.
    We are 12.6 %

PAW 500 it's one great watch,but yes,I would get another Riseman anyway,at least it's the best value.

If you want a great watch that just happens to do barometric pressure and altitude then the Riseman is it. I really like mine; Casio actually did a very good job of integrating all that technology into a small yet still easy to read interface.

On the other hand, I do have to agree with Cal..45's assessment of discreetness of Casio's barometric pressure modules (which also drives the altimeter). Five meter (20') steps is too coarse. I had one of the early Casio altimeter watches (bought back in 1989) and it used the same altitude steps. I can't believe that sensor technology and programming experience has not progressed in 21 years.

Get yourself anothe riseman - the vintage colors one is my personal favourite but the standard black, MIRO, MIRB or the negative display version are all good to go my friend!!

Get a SGW-300 - has almost exactly the same functions as the Riseman but no solar neither atomic and comes at around 1/3 of the price of a Riseman (depending on where you buy of course) - and best of all: it's been released in a nice drab green color scheme, too (something I was always hoping for on the Riseman) - so guess which one is currently on it's way to me from Hong Kong for replacing my sold Riseman? Right - the SGW-300HB-3AV (btw: it shows time in every mode ):

c) http://www.gwolong.com.tw/

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Good recommendation, sedi. There are some cracking non-G Casios in the affordable pages of the catalogue. For most, they will be every bit as useful as a G-Shock.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information