need some advice on 9400 rangeman
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: need some advice on 9400 rangeman

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

need some advice on 9400 rangeman

Hi, thanks for reading my question. I have been attempted to purchase a gw9400 from seiya or rakuten recently since functionwise this watch looked very nice. My only concern, however, is that whether this watch is comfortable to wear especially when the CF strap is concerned (I know "comfort" is subjective and may vary for different people, but I still would like to hear some experience from who own one..). I have a gw9300 mudman and the CF strap is really uncomfortable for me, it is stiff and does not fit my wrist very well. The watch just tended to slide towards my palm, and the chunky mudman then made bending my palm backwards a little uncomfortable. I somehow heard that the CF strap on rangeman is much softer compared with the one on GWS5600, so I wonder if any one knows whether it is softer and more comfortable compared with a gw9300 mudman...

Thanks in advance!

Re: need some advice on 9400 rangeman

Have both watches and haven't noticed a huge difference in how the 2 of them wear, both I find very comfortable, but everyone's wrist different. Just had a close play with the both of them there and the 9400 does seems to have a little more pliable strap, not a massive difference in texture of inward side against skin, but does seem a little more flexible.
    hope this helps woshixiaozh
    p.s. Will be able to compare gw-s5600 strap as well soon

Regards Mairtin

GW-9400 Rangeman
    GW-9300 Mudman
    GWM-5600BC
    GW-S5600

CASIO BM-100WJ
    GW-9200MBJ Riseman MIMB
    GW-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    Protrek PRT-500
    Protrek PRG-130
    Citizen Skyhawk A-T (Japanese Titanium version) PMV65-2241
    Breitling Superocean (A17360)
    Breitling B-1 SQ
    Polar AXN500

Quote Originally Posted by mairtinb View Post
    Have both watches and haven't noticed a huge difference in how the 2 of them wear, both I find very comfortable, but everyone's wrist different. Just had a close play with the both of them there and the 9400 does seems to have a little more pliable strap, not a massive difference in texture of inward side against skin, but does seem a little more flexible.
    hope this helps woshixiaozh
    p.s. Will be able to compare gw-s5600 strap as well soon

Regards Mairtin
    Mairtin, thank you very much for your helpful information. I guess it is because the 9400 strap has two lines of holes it is a little more pliable. God how I wish I can try one on before I make the purchase
    Last edited by woshixiaozhu; October 15th, 2013 at 19:53.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by woshixiaozhu View Post
    Mairtin, thank you very much for your helpful information. I guess it is because the 9400 strap has two lines of holes it is a little more pliable. God how I wish I can try one on before I made the purchase
    There is a slight texture difference between them with 9400 feeling slightly more... Rubbery I guess. My advice is take the plunge, the Rangeman is an AWESOME piece of kit, worth every penny, cent, yen etc

GW-9400 Rangeman
    GW-9300 Mudman
    GWM-5600BC
    GW-S5600

CASIO BM-100WJ
    GW-9200MBJ Riseman MIMB
    GW-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    Protrek PRT-500
    Protrek PRG-130
    Citizen Skyhawk A-T (Japanese Titanium version) PMV65-2241
    Breitling Superocean (A17360)
    Breitling B-1 SQ
    Polar AXN500

Yes, I know 9400 is awesome and could be my last g-shock (liar, I admit). If it was not the regretful experience of the 9300 strap I would have grabbed a 9400 as a no-brainer. Your information made me really want to pull the trigger. Time to sell my 9300 for the money!

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Unless you subject the Rangeman to extreme conditions where the strap might get severe stresses, the CF band is overkill. Whenever I've seen G-Shock watches that had experienced an incident or accident, the buckle or spring pins had popped giving way with the band completely intact. With other releases that had CF bands prominently distinguished by different cosmetic treatments or exposed carbon fibers showing on the outside, there's a visual appeal in the difference. But with the Rangeman, the multi-layered resin strap has the CF layer on the inside... so it's not visible from the outside.
    Last edited by xevious; October 15th, 2013 at 20:15.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

xevious, I totally agree with your argument. Everybody knows that CF band/strap, or even the concept of shock resistence is not extremely necessary, say maybe an overkill. It is just a fancy cosmetic, or marketing thing. People wear fragile mechanic watches for years and they seem to be quite happy with that. And, like you, I totally have no idea why Casio put the transparent resin only INSIDE the band...

CF is obvious overkill, though it looks very sweet on the S5600 and I find the S5600 strap gets very comfy as it warms up during wear. I can think of no practical value in having a strap that has crazy tensile strength, but durability in the face of harsh and repeated changes in temperature and humidity might be valuable? CF straps probably won't catastrophically fail with age, but you still need a point of failure in case your watch gets caught. Spring rods are your friend. I like G10 straps but they.. uh.. seem like they could be a liability in CQC or a war-zone? Maybe. I've not had to fight in one! I don't think the King has a spring rod in the buckle or the case, like the 1000 Frogs, and I think that is a BAD IDEA!
    xevious likes this.

You could always go with the ER version which I believe does not have the CF band. I picked one up last week from Kleepsoo, it hasn't shipped out yet they said within 10-15 business days.

Quote Originally Posted by wrightc88 View Post
    You could always go with the ER version which I believe does not have the CF band. I picked one up last week from Kleepsoo, it hasn't shipped out yet they said within 10-15 business days.
    Thanks for the information. I am at America and I guess by the time kleepsoo ships their product (15 business days) 9400 will be for sale at America, too... Hopefully this time they won't remove the atomic feature just as they did to G9300. A resin strap sounds much more comfortable than a CF band I guess.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information