Need some help with the features

Thread: Need some help with the features

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need some help with the features

I opened a thread in the affordable watches and from two replies that i got, realized that i need a g-shock, my very first g-shock and i need some help with the features:

Light button: Will the light stay ON if i keep the button pressed, or will it light up only for the time that it is programmed to?

Solar powered models: How often do you need to replace the battery?

G-9000: How serious is the problem with the tearing of rubber that covers the right-side buttons? I saw some pictures here and am a bit scared.

Quality: Is the quality the same for every model? I need a durable watch if the dw5600e is the most durable of them all, than i will buy this one, but if the quality is the same, than it would be nice to have some extra features.

Alarms: What does it mean if a watch has independent multifunction alarms? That i can set 4 alarms and all 4 can be daily alarms? Or is it preset, first is daily, second is for the week end?

Mute buttons: It means that also the mode button will be mute? No sound at all from the buttons?

Analog-digital models: Is it difficult to check the time on analog-digital models? On the GA-100 model for example? Am a bit skeptical of the visibility in the night, especially the dark-red hour hand and the left display covered by both huge hands.

Am currently looking for a g-7700 or g-9000 or dw5600e or maybe even GA-100.

That's it for now, i hope someone will answer my questions.

Re: Need some help with the features

Quote Originally Posted by pungent View Post
    I opened a thread in the affordable watches and from two replies that i got, realized that i need a g-shock, my very first g-shock and i need some help with the features:

Light button: Will the light stay ON if i keep the button pressed, or will it light up only for the time that it is programmed to?

It will turn itself off after awhile even if you keep pressing it.

Solar powered models: How often do you need to replace the battery?

Supposedly no need to. Casio seems to have fixed the solar battery issues a few years back. It was a faulty battery issue. Not Casio's fault other than getting the wrong brand.

G-9000: How serious is the problem with the tearing of rubber that covers the right-side buttons? I saw some pictures here and am a bit scared.

Never heard of this. If you are worried, get one with metal buttons like 5600 or something.

Quality: Is the quality the same for every model? I need a durable watch if the dw5600e is the most durable of them all, than i will buy this one, but if the quality is the same, than it would be nice to have some extra features.

Every G-Shock is made to withstand the same kind of hardship. There is no "more durable" G-Shock. Even the mud resistant feature on the Mudman is a gimmick IMO. From what I know mud has never killed a G-Shock.

Alarms: What does it mean if a watch has independent multifunction alarms? That i can set 4 alarms and all 4 can be daily alarms? Or is it preset, first is daily, second is for the week end?

4 alarms independant of each other. You can configure all 4 any way you want. That is what multi function means.

Mute buttons: It means that also the mode button will be mute? No sound at all from the buttons?

Yup. Except alarms and timers.

Analog-digital models: Is it difficult to check the time on analog-digital models? On the GA-100 model for example? Am a bit skeptical of the visibility in the night, especially the dark-red hour hand and the left display covered by both huge hands.

No idea. Don't like analogs.

Am currently looking for a g-7700 or g-9000 or dw5600e or maybe even GA-100.

That's it for now, i hope someone will answer my questions.
    Hope it helps.

Yes it helps a lot, thank you very much.

If the battery of the solar models don't need replacement, i will probably go for the GW-M5600. Can't really decide, i found out that also the G-7900 model has everything, so i will have to compare between them and just go for one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

GeeBeeCee has covered nearly everything. There have been a few recent reports concerning the Mudman buttons, but there are an awful lot of happy Mudman owners who haven't experienced this problem.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Just like to add the DW-6900 EL light stays on if pressed.

Newer models don't have this "feature" anymore

Quote Originally Posted by gobulls View Post
    Just like to add the DW-6900 EL light stays on if pressed.

Newer models don't have this "feature" anymore
    yup older modules still have this feature ... i tested the dw6900 and dw5600 and the light stays on when continuously pressed

Need some extra help from you guys.
    I decided to go with the GW-6900-1 model, from what i can see it's a large watch.
    My wrist has a diameter of 15.4cm (6.06 inch), and the length from one side to the other on the top of the wrist is 5.3cm (2.08 inch). I never realized i had such a small wrist :(
    The top of the wrist is flat, the length of the flat area is 3.8cm (1.5 inch)

What do you think, is the watch too big for my wrist? Will it look ridiculous?

People will have different views on this, but I think it might be a bit big.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by pungent View Post
    What do you think, is the watch too big for my wrist? Will it look ridiculous?
    Freakishly large wristwatches are currently fashionable. So you could have the wrists of a 3 year old, and wear a watch with a dial the size of a pie plate, and given today's standards many people would think it a fine look.

If this trend eventually runs its course, you may be left with a watch which many people will regard as too large for your wrist, and perhaps a little silly looking. But it's a sub-$100 watch; if you "only" get several years of wear out of it before styles change, so what?

Personally, I think the GW6900-1 would look a little too large on your wrist, but that's just my opinion and it's not like I feel all that strongly about it, either. Me, I have wrists like an NFL lineman, so it's relatively small watches (like some formal wristwatches) that look a little silly on me. Doesn't much bother me, though; the vast majority of people scarcely notice what other folks wear on their wrists, so as long as I like the watch, I don't care all that much what John Q. Hypothetical-Person would think of it.

I do sometimes wear sort of largish aviator sunglasses. I wore them when huge glasses were in. I wear them now, when small glasses are in. If anyone comments negatively on them, I can respond that some men follow fashion, others set fashion. Feel free to appropriate that line for your own needs, if anyone pokes fun at you for wearing a watch that might fit better around your leg than around your wrist.
    --
    Michael
    Last edited by 12345Michael54321; September 12th, 2010 at 05:35.

Quote Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post
    Freakishly large wristwatches are currently fashionable. So you could have the wrists of a 3 year old, and wear a watch with a dial the size of a pie plate, and given today's standards many people would think it a fine look.

If this trend eventually runs its course, you may be left with a watch which many people will regard as too large for your wrist, and perhaps a little silly looking. But it's a sub-$100 watch; if you "only" get several years of wear out of it before styles change, so what?

Personally, I think the GW6900-1 would look a little too large on your wrist, but that's just my opinion and it's not like I feel all that strongly about it, either. Me, I have wrists like an NFL lineman, so it's relatively small watches (like some formal wristwatches) that look a little silly on me. Doesn't much bother me, though; the vast majority of people scarcely notice what other folks wear on their wrists, so as long as I like the watch, I don't care all that much what John Q. Hypothetical-Person would think of it.

I do sometimes wear sort of largish aviator sunglasses. I wore then when huge glasses were in. I wear them now, when small glasses are in. If anyone comments negatively on them, I can respond that some men follow fashion, others set fashion. Feel free to appropriate that line for your own needs, if anyone pokes fun at you for wearing a watch that might fit better around your leg than around your wrist.
    --
    Michael
    Brilliant post!
    Current watches:

Casio GW-2000B
    Casio G-7710
    Rolex Explorer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information