Need a Wider Band for my MTGM900DA
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mike K

Thread: Need a Wider Band for my MTGM900DA

Question Need a Wider Band for my MTGM900DA

Hello all. I've had this watch for a few months but haven't worn it much. It's my first G-Shock and I do like it except for the thin band. It looks out of place on this big watch, methinks. Which metal bands with clasps can replace it? I see the MTG900DA-8V has a wider band. Can I buy a replacement band for that watch and put it on the one I have?

Also, why is the MTG900DA-8V more expensive than the MTGM900DA?

Edit: Nevermind. I see the MTG900DA-8V is stainless steel.
    Last edited by Herrick; May 11th, 2015 at 23:32.

Re: Need a Wider Band for my MTGM900DA

Quote Originally Posted by Herrick View Post
    Hello all. I've had this watch for a few months but haven't worn it much. It's my first G-Shock and I do like it except for the thin band. It looks out of place on this big watch, methinks. Which metal bands with clasps can replace it? I see the MTG900DA-8V has a wider band. Can I buy a replacement band for that watch and put it on the one I have?
    I own both the MTG-900 AND the MTG-M900 which is the newer, updated, Multiband 6 version.

The bracelets are identical and I agree, both look too narrow for the size of the watch case.

Unfortunately, because of the VERY unusual lug design of this watch, there aren't ANY non-Casio straps that are going to fit without a LOT of creative modification.

(There's one thread here at WUS that has some great close-up pictures of those goofy lugs and protrusions and matching recesses in the straps that I can't find right now, but I'll keep looking. Edit: here is one good picture of the lugs in post #8 of this thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/wha...10-997220.html There is another thread with even more pictures around here somewhere, but it may be a few hours until I can track it down. Second edit: still not the thread I'm looking for, but there are some GREAT close-ups in post #7 here: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/gw-...ve-265733.html As you can see, a "normal" replacement strap from Timex or Spiedel is NOT going to fit.)

The only viable alternative -- which is a relatively simple installation and a perfect fit -- is the resin strap from the GW- and GWM500 series G-Shocks. Somewhat ironically, it was this same question that first led me to WUS in 2011! https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/rec...on-438723.html and https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/ban...ml#post4509232

Thankfully, my photography skills (and equipment) have gotten better since those first photos:

Name:  mtg-M900 wus sized.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  316.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Herrick View Post
    Also, why is the MTG900DA-8V more expensive than the MTGM900DA?

Edit: Nevermind. I see the MTG900DA-8V is stainless steel.
    Both watch cases and bracelets are virtually identical. The only stainless steel in those watches is in the bracelet and the decorative bezel ring. The cases are made of plastic and PAINTED silver.

It's actually because some nitwits at Amazon are always hoping that their last few versions of a discontinued G-Shock are going to be collectible and/or somehow more valuable. We see it happen frequently here with discontinued models and Amazon (and eBay) sellers hoping that their last "new in box" watch will bring up to ten times the original MSRP.

In this case, it's a ridiculous hope. The MTG-M900 is superior in pretty much every way: the multiband reception, and the way the watch (like most newer solar/atomics) will update once per night and then stop, instead of updating successfully and then CONTINUING to update hourly until dawn like the earlier version.
    Last edited by Mike K; May 12th, 2015 at 01:44. Reason: still hunting for (and finding!) links to better pictures
    LankyOrangutan and Herrick like this.

Re: Need a Wider Band for my MTGM900DA

Thanks Mike K! That strap looks much better but I was really hoping for another metal clasp-type strap. I've gotten so used to those. But I really dislike how this narrow strap looks. I'll look for one of those resin straps. Thanks again!

Thread Information