Negative display
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Negative display

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Negative display

I've had negative display watches in the past and I know they can be hard to read. I had ones that I had to use the light even in daylight to read. I was wondering since all of the Gshocks I like are solar if that is an issue, since you can use the light more often with out the hassle of having to change a battery often.

Re: Negative display

Yes it's true that you can afford to be more reliant on the backlight with a watch that will 'charge itself up' again later, but it's also worth keeping in mind that not all negative displays are as hard to read as each other.

I recently posted this pic of my MIMB Mudman in another thread. It has the clearest negative display I've ever seen:

chronic01uk likes this.

LUW

As I guess everybody knows by now, I particularly detest negative displays. The only one I have is a Baby-G that I gave to my wife a couple of years ago as a a Mother's Day gift;

Trés cool G, but hideous to read except in pitch dark with the EL turned on.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I do not like negative displays also because they are so hard to read but it seems that they are quite dominant in the newer models. Granted they may look cool but I'll take function over form anytime.
    This trend of negative displays and large watch case is getting a bit ridiculous, but that's just my opinion.

People who make blanket assertions that negative displays are difficult to read don't do the displays justice. In good light, they offer brilliant contrast as the digits shine through a black display. But in low light at oblique angles, it's true even the best negative displays are hard to read; augmenting the issue is the backlights typically improve readability but still are not as brilliant or contrasty as positive backlit panels.

In all my usage and not worrying about sunlight exposure, my solars have never fallen off 'H', so I wouldn't worry about that. My suggestion is if you see a watch you like and it happens to have a negative display, don't let it deter you.

Quote Originally Posted by lunitic View Post
    People who make blanket assertions that negative displays are difficult to read don't do the displays justice. In good light, they offer brilliant contrast as the digits shine through a black display. But in low light at oblique angles, it's true even the best negative displays are hard to read; augmenting the issue is the backlights typically improve readability but still are not as brilliant or contrasty as positive backlit panels.

In all my usage and not worrying about sunlight exposure, my solars have never fallen off 'H', so I wouldn't worry about that. My suggestion is if you see a watch you like and it happens to have a negative display, don't let it deter you.
    thanks, that is what I was hoping. I have a sunnto core with a positive display and can read it in almost any situation. but i just don't like the way the positive displays look overall. seem nerdy or cheap looking for some reason. been trying to decide between the GW2310-fb1 and GW7900B-1.

LUW

Quote Originally Posted by ecidic View Post
    thanks, that is what I was hoping. I have a sunnto core with a positive display and can read it in almost any situation.
    Sold my All-Black Core because it was basically useless except if looked at an optimal degree with the right light. And the Core even allows you to control the contrast level of the display.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

I used to prefer positive displays - especially on the more expensive models. But it's not like my life depends on instantly knowing the time when looking at my watch. Don't we all sometimes look at our watches without knowing the time afterwards . So I no longer care all that much if the display is positive or negative. And negative displays often do look better. I saw a GX-56-1 modded to positive and IMO it looked like a fake.

Cheers, Sedi

+1 lunitic. I am now up to 7 g shocks all negative displays. Next few will be as well. I know i'm in the 2% on this so i'm not gonna tell you "oh no worries mate". But don't let it deter you like lunitic said. Of the negative displays, the 7900b-1 seems to go well overall on this forum by the way. Here's mine:

No flash.
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

I haven't had any issues with the negative display on my GW7900. It's as legible as my G7900.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information