Negative display ... should I take a chance?

Thread: Negative display ... should I take a chance?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    DavidSeattleWA

Negative display ... should I take a chance?

So, as of late, I'm rather intrigued with the now-somewhat-dated
    G-5600RB-1JF "Black Spots". I tend to gravitate toward the 5600 Gs with not much interest in the other styles (Gulfman/Riseman etc). I used to have a G-5600 and I liked the module ... but I guess I found it a bit "Plain Jane" and ended up selling it. I'm kind of interested in the negative display because of the stealthy appearance and it's just "something different" for a change. Just like a lot of people on here, I can't help but wonder if I'll end up regretting it. I keep thinking the negative display will just end up driving me nuts. Or, will it grow on me and maybe I'll learn to embrace it?

From all the photos I've looked at, it seems like it really depends on the angle you view the watch at. I guess it's hard to really to know for sure unless you hold one in your hand. Pictures can only do so much.

I think I just have the G-Shock itch and I need to buy a watch. Haha! I'm sure you know the feeling.

So, just thinking out loud ... any of you have any thoughts on this particular model?

Thanks!

Re: Negative display ... should I take a chance?

If you want it to wear occasionally not daily it might be ok. I would not get a reverse display for daily wear. I have had a gold digit rising white that was the best the red digits on the dw5600b were not good and my sons reverse display mudman is terrible in my opinion.

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi
    Riseman Rising Dragon, Pathfinder PRG80, Oceanus, G1000H

DavidSeattleWA

Quote Originally Posted by JERSTERCA View Post
    If you want it to wear occasionally not daily it might be ok. I would not get a reverse display for daily wear. I have had a gold digit rising white that was the best the red digits on the dw5600b were not good and my sons reverse display mudman is terrible in my opinion.

Yeah, the more I look at pictures the more I'm shaking my head no. If I feel like I'm straining to see the time, it's not worth it.

It's definitely got the "cool" factor, but as far as practicality, I think it would drive me nuts more than anything.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSeattleWA View Post
    Yeah, the more I look at pictures the more I'm shaking my head no. If I feel like I'm straining to see the time, it's not worth it.

It's definitely got the "cool" factor, but as far as practicality, I think it would drive me nuts more than anything.

I forgot to add my 46 year old eyes dont see as well as they used too. Thats why I am going to get a Pathfinder soon

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi
    Riseman Rising Dragon, Pathfinder PRG80, Oceanus, G1000H

I've had a GWM5600BC-1 with the negative display and liked it. The display was easy to read and the numerals where relatively sharp in appearance. Next I bought a GW-6900BC-1JF which features Casios newest generation of negative displays. This model is significantly improved with increased clarity, and brighter reflectivity of the numerals. Next I purchased a GW-5000B which shares the same new gen style as the 6900 and is it's equal, as is my GW-7900B. Thus based on my experience I would highly suggest the GW-5000 for you if you want that style with a great negative display.
    My thoughts regarding much of the dialog against negative displays stems from users natural tendency to compare them to positive display models. However that is simply the wrong approach as I see it. After all, they are clearly different and not meant to be compared. It's obvious that if one wants ultra fast readability they should rule out a negative display. If however one likes the aesthetic look and style of a negative display, the latest versions are great. I find that after a short time I've become very comfortable with a negative display and prefer it for it's unique look.
    Cheers...
    posted via BlackBerry Bold

DavidSeattleWA

Quote Originally Posted by JERSTERCA View Post
    I forgot to add my 46 year old eyes dont see as well as they used too. Thats why I am going to get a Pathfinder soon

Yeah, I don't think you'll have any problem seeing the numbers on the Pathfinder!

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    My thoughts regarding much of the dialog against negative displays stems from users natural tendency to compare them to positive display models. However that is simply the wrong approach as I see it. After all, they are clearly different and not meant to be compared. It's obvious that if one wants ultra fast readability they should rule out a negative display. If however one likes the aesthetic look and style of a negative display, the latest versions are great. I find that after a short time I've become very comfortable with a negative display and prefer it for it's unique look.
    Cheers...
    Mr. Nail, meet Mr. Head

DavidSeattleWA

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    I've had a GWM5600BC-1 with the negative display and liked it. The display was easy to read and the numerals where relatively sharp in appearance. Next I bought a GW-6900BC-1JF which features Casios newest generation of negative displays. This model is significantly improved with increased clarity, and brighter reflectivity of the numerals. Next I purchased a GW-5000B which shares the same new gen style as the 6900 and is it's equal, as is my GW-7900B. Thus based on my experience I would highly suggest the GW-5000 for you if you want that style with a great negative display.
    Cheers...

You brought up some really good points. And the G-5600 is definitely an old model now so I wouldn't be getting the latest and greatest negative display technology. You're right though, if you have any interest at all in trying out a negative display G, go for one of the current models! It seems it would be a waste of time and money to get an old model if you're wanting to try out the negative display.

Thanks for your feedback

For what it's worth, I have one of the newer GW-5000B's, but it's still no easier to read than the "older" negative displays. If you are comparing (or are used to) a positive display, then you may get annoyed.

Regardless, I did find a purpose for it. I have relegated it to the beach where the DLC makes it impervious to rust and the sunshine helps with the reading, or the gym where I sweat all over it. In the gym, I also don't look at my watch as often as I usually do when I'm at work or at home.

I agree with the others that it looks cool, but not everybody gets a watch for the same reasons.

My opinion, and only my opinion -

As an everyday watch to tell time, I say no. As a cool something to slap on your wrist, I say yes. Although in retrospect, not sure that "coolness" is worth the $350+ entry fee. Only time will tell. I continue to keep an open mind about it, but so far no dice.

Paolo

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSeattleWA View Post
    You brought up some really good points. And the G-5600 is definitely an old model now so I wouldn't be getting the latest and greatest negative display technology. You're right though, if you have any interest at all in trying out a negative display G, go for one of the current models! It seems it would be a waste of time and money to get an old model if you're wanting to try out the negative display.

Thanks for your feedback

Quote Originally Posted by cvx5832 View Post
    As an everyday watch to tell time, I say no. As a cool something to slap on your wrist, I say yes.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information