Negative displays on squares
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Negative displays on squares

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    457

    Negative displays on squares

    I'm fairly new to the G-shock world, and I picked myself up a GMW-B5000 silver metal square (positive) and a 9300 mudman darth vader negative display. The 5000 square is very readable, and the 9300 is very unreadable, unless the lighting is just right. I'm looking to pick myself up a 5600 bluetooth square. Most of the models seem to have a negative display. In all the youtube videos, the negative display actually looks pretty good. There's even one guy on there who reckons the negative display is more readable. Based on my own experience, I'm not in a big hurry to get another negative display. But the good reviews, and the predominance of negative displays in the 5000 and 5600 lineups has me second guessing myself that maybe negative displays have improved over the 9300. Which way should I go on this?
    babyivan likes this.

  2. #2
    Member babyivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Queens
    Posts
    140

    Re: Negative displays on squares

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris-John View Post
    I'm fairly new to the G-shock world, and I picked myself up a GMW-B5000 silver metal square (positive) and a 9300 mudman darth vader negative display. The 5000 square is very readable, and the 9300 is very unreadable, unless the lighting is just right. I'm looking to pick myself up a 5600 bluetooth square. Most of the models seem to have a negative display. In all the youtube videos, the negative display actually looks pretty good. There's even one guy on there who reckons the negative display is more readable. Based on my own experience, I'm not in a big hurry to get another negative display. But the good reviews, and the predominance of negative displays in the 5000 and 5600 lineups has me second guessing myself that maybe negative displays have improved over the 9300. Which way should I go on this?
    I hate negative displays with a passion, so you know where I'm going to stand on this.

    But, I will say that some models are much more readable than others. For example the GMW-B5000 negative displays are decent because of the STN display, but still a far cry from the positive display silver, which you have (and so do I, love it so!).
    memento_mori likes this.

  3. #3
    Member Everdying's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Anfield
    Posts
    2,128
    yes, the negative display on the B5600 are much improved over previous models...
    i also have a few pics in here comparing both negatives on the B5000 and B5600... pretty close.
    memento_mori likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    121

    Re: Negative displays on squares

    I wouldn't buy any negative display watch. No matter how good it is, the positive today reads better
    babyivan and Ryanjeepguy like this.

  6. #5
    Member Mr.Jones82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    2,620
    For me, the 5600 negative is great. Of course, positive is always more legible, but I love the look of negatives. It is by far the most legible of the 3 I've owned as seen in this pic.
    Name:  20190628_194821_1561719094482.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  303.9 KB

    I've never owned one, but I saw a dw-5600bb negative at my AD and it looks amazing. I wanted to buy one, but the lack of solar kind of did it in for me.
    Grand Seiko: SBGV223, SBGV225, SBGV205, SBGT241
    Oris: Aquis, Pro Pilot
    Sinn: LE 556i
    Longines: Conquest V.H.P.
    Seiko: Blue Coral Monster
    Casio Oceanus : OCW-s100
    G Shock: GMW-b5000, GX-56bb, GW-b5600

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    63
    I have more negative displays than positive. Yes positive is easier to read but negative is easily read too. Negative also looks much cooler, wish my b5000 was negative...
    kenls likes this.

  8. #7
    Member pl_gristle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    492

    Re: Negative displays on squares

    Even the best negative is still inferior to any positive to my eyes. I've owned a few, sold em, own none now, probably never will. To each his own...
    babyivan and memento_mori like this.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SLC, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,239

    Re: Negative displays on squares

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris-John View Post
    There's even one guy on there who reckons the negative display is more readable.
    Probably doesn't want to admit to his mistake in choosing a negative-display model. Some negative displays (like the GMW-B5000) are better than other negative displays. But I've yet to see a negative display that is easier to read than a positive display - not even when comparing a $500 negative display watch to a $10 positive display watch.
    babyivan likes this.

  10. #9
    Member Cowboy Bebop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    somewhere in USA
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Negative displays on squares

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Jones82 View Post
    For me, the 5600 negative is great. Of course, positive is always more legible, but I love the look of negatives. It is by far the most legible of the 3 I've owned as seen in this pic.
    Name:  20190628_194821_1561719094482.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  303.9 KB

    I've never owned one, but I saw a dw-5600bb negative at my AD and it looks amazing. I wanted to buy one, but the lack of solar kind of did it in for me.
    I will attest the DW5600BB has a very crisp negative display for a low budget....and I will mention one other model that has an amazing negative display and packs a punch for the functionalities the GD350 has a negative version and to add to that has Vibe alarm.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    TAG Heuer Collector.


  11. #10
    Member babyivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Queens
    Posts
    140

    Re: Negative displays on squares

    Quote Originally Posted by skriefal View Post
    Probably doesn't want to admit to his mistake in choosing a negative-display model. Some negative displays (like the GMW-B5000) are better than other negative displays. But I've yet to see a negative display that is easier to read than a positive display - not even when comparing a $500 negative display watch to a $10 positive display watch.
    Agreed!
    The STN on the b5000 does make the negative better, but the STN also makes the positive better. Point is, when comparing identical models with positive and negative, the positive always wins out.

    I would also like to add that the only time I like the look of the negative, is in some of the stock photos (and some well timed member photos) but in person (even if legible), the positive just looks better. The contrast of the positive lcd against the resin is more aesthetically pleasing, imo.
    Wanderer16 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •