New 5600 g-shock initial charge issue

Thread: New 5600 g-shock initial charge issue

New 5600 g-shock initial charge issue

I recently purchased and received a new G-Shock 5600 [this is the atomic, solar model with the light face and black digits].

I have placed it in a window facing the sun for half of the daylight hours for 2 days. The charge indicates MEDIUM. Hmmm. When I RECEIVED the watch, it indicated a MEDIUM charge.

Owning several other solar watches -- including another solar/atomic G-Shock 5600 [black face and light digits] that keeps a full charge with little light exposure -- I'm thinking that there may be some problem with the battery (not being able to take a full charge) or possibly a defective photoelectric cell (unable to sufficiently charge the battery).

I called the Casio service center [1-800] and the technician said to give it 3 to 4 full days of exposure to bright sunlight. He added that if it then doesn't indicate a full charge to call their service department. Fair enough -- it's hanging on a mini-blind soaking up photons....

Is this amount of initial light exposure typical for the G-5600? I don't recall that it took this long to achieve a full charge with ANY other Casio or Timex solar watch I've owned. Do I have a lemon?

Opinions?

Louis

Re: New 5600 g-shock initial charge issue

Quote Originally Posted by Louisaz View Post

I recently purchased and received a new G-Shock 5600 [this is the atomic, solar model with the light face and black digits].

I have placed it in a window facing the sun for half of the daylight hours for 2 days. The charge indicates MEDIUM. Hmmm. When I RECEIVED the watch, it indicated a MEDIUM charge.

Owning several other solar watches -- including another solar/atomic G-Shock 5600 [black face and light digits] that keeps a full charge with little light exposure -- I'm thinking that there may be some problem with the battery (not being able to take a full charge) or possibly a defective photoelectric cell (unable to sufficiently charge the battery).

I called the Casio service center [1-800] and the technician said to give it 3 to 4 full days of exposure to bright sunlight. He added that if it then doesn't indicate a full charge to call their service department. Fair enough -- it's hanging on a mini-blind soaking up photons....

Is this amount of initial light exposure typical for the G-5600? I don't recall that it took this long to achieve a full charge with ANY other Casio or Timex solar watch I've owned. Do I have a lemon?

Opinions?

Louis
    sorry to hear about your problem Louis, but i think your post might get more exposure in the main board. not too many people browse in these sub forums. i'm sorry i can not answer you question, but try posting in the main board, lots of pros there.
    09/02/08 - G-Shock DW5600FS-3JF aka HERO G
    10/14/08 - G-Shock GW9200-1 Riseman
    10/19/08 - G-Shock GW-M5600BC-1JF
    03/31/09 - Seiko SBPP001
    09/19/13 -
    Ω Omega Speedmaster 125 ST378.0801

Quote Originally Posted by Louisaz View Post

Opinions?

Louis
    First, congratulations on purchasing a great G-Shock model.

Relax, there is nothing wrong with your watch.

Assuming that your model is a GW5600 with module 2924 (even if it is not, other 5600 models will be similar) a check of your manual will show the necessary charging times to reach the various states of charge.

It sounds like you are charging the watch with sunlight through a window.

With this manner of charging, it could take approximately 109 hours of sunlight to move from an indication of Medium charge to an indication of Full charge - and then an additional 30 hours of sunlight to fully charge the watch.

Remember, the charge indicators on the watch are "threshold" indicators. This means that as soon as the watch reaches the minimum charge level for "Medium" the "Medium" indicator goes on. The "Medium" indicator will stay on during charging until the minimum level for a "Full" charge is reached when the watch will then show "Full." The watch will continue to charge until the watch is actually fully charged.

109 hours of direct sunlight through a window could be TWO WEEKS or more.

Have patience.

Remember, it may take a long time to fully charge your watch, but once fully charged it will take a lot to diminish the charge level.

HTH
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    First, congratulations on purchasing a great G-Shock model.

Relax, there is nothing wrong with your watch.

Assuming that your model is a GW5600 with module 2924 (even if it is not, other 5600 models will be similar) a check of your manual will show the necessary charging times to reach the various states of charge.

It sounds like you are charging the watch with sunlight through a window.

With this manner of charging, it could take approximately 109 hours of sunlight to move from an indication of Medium charge to an indication of Full charge - and then an additional 30 hours of sunlight to fully charge the watch.

Remember, the charge indicators on the watch are "threshold" indicators. This means that as soon as the watch reaches the minimum charge level for "Medium" the "Medium" indicator goes on. The "Medium" indicator will stay on during charging until the minimum level for a "Full" charge is reached when the watch will then show "Full." The watch will continue to charge until the watch is actually fully charged.

109 hours of direct sunlight through a window could be TWO WEEKS or more.

Have patience.

Remember, it may take a long time to fully charge your watch, but once fully charged it will take a lot to diminish the charge level.

HTH
    I thought so too. Hope that this is right as I am going through the same of a newly acquired Dawn Black Frog.

Finally I see signs of improvement after more than 1 week of window exposure today. I think the sun has not been intense the last week and I am sure it has been quite drained from storage from the japan owner.
    Last edited by eonianaerial; August 18th, 2009 at 11:22.

Thread Information