New arrival: DW-5200 "Hero" [240]
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: New arrival: DW-5200 "Hero" [240]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Picture New arrival: DW-5200 "Hero" [240]

You are all responsible for this. I'm talking to you, classic square owners!

I've always been a 90s mostly, and onwards g-shocker, but I've read so often on here about screw-backs, original models etc. that I finally decided if one came up at a reasonable price in good condition I'd have a go, as I figured my collection needed at least one classic.

I put in a last second bid on this not expecting to win and was surprised to get it for £80 all in. I usually always get outbid by one person on rare/old G's . I know the DW-5200 isn't in the same league as a WW-5100 or a 5000 but still thought it might go a little higher. Mind you it's not perfect - a couple of small scratches on the crystal, the bezel is a non-genuine replacement (fine though) and the new genuine strap has the gold buckle, which I think is wrong for this variant?

I just took the case back off to check for problems. Looks like a new gasket which is nice. Buttons are good, maybe just a tiny bit graunchy, light is good and everything works. The module seems inclined to sag to the left a tiny bit in the case - I noticed the sound spring was on the right - is this a common issue?

Anyways, I'm happy with it. It's not NOS so I won't be put off wearing it now and again. And hopefully a real collector's piece.

55 watches. 30 Casios. Appalling bank balance!

Re: New arrival: DW-5200 "Hero" [240]

Nice catch. I was considering bidding on this but didn't bother in the end. Make sure you wear it :)
    Deepsea_dweller likes this.

Congrats and cool story. Enjoy

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Congrats, great catch and good price. Square screwback is a must-have for a g-shock collector, even if you don't want to wear it or find them too small, you just need to have it

Enjoy wearing it

Thanks! I don't find it too small actually, and I usually like big Gs. It's quite deep of course with the screw back. I can understand the appeal - it sits well on the wrist. I think you're right - I just had to pick one of these up!!

Does anyone know if there's a way of dating the watch from the serial no. on the back as you can do with Seikos? I know this model was made from mid-1984 onwards but not sure when production ceased.

LUW

Awesome! I most definitively have to get one (even before then the 5000).
    Cheers!
    Luciano

I like it better than the original DW-5000C. Great symmetrical looks, uses the same 240 module, and can be had at an affordable price. I have had as many as 8 at one time. Probably my favorite vintage G-shock (all things considered).

Quote Originally Posted by kung-fusion View Post
    I like it better than the original DW-5000C. Great symmetrical looks, uses the same 240 module, and can be had at an affordable price. I have had as many as 8 at one time. Probably my favorite vintage G-shock (all things considered).
    I saw the one you have for sale, looks really nice, better than mine, but just couldn't stretch that far with the customs fees. Have you done any resto work on it? It really does look the business.

How much rarer are the Japan B models than the Japan S ones?

Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post

I saw the one you have for sale, looks really nice, better than mine, but just couldn't stretch that far with the customs fees. Have you done any resto work on it? It really does look the business.

How much rarer are the Japan B models than the Japan S ones?
    Thanks, yes it is heavily restored, like the last one I sold. Many hours of my time spent on restoration. It is something that can't be rushed or you end up wrecking things. The one I am selling looked much worse than yours before I restored it.

Japan S? That would be exceedingly valuable. I have only heard stories about Japan S casebacks. I don't know if they are real.

In terms of value, A is the best (unless you are talking about some extremely rare variant like S or V). Followed by B. And H is probably least valuable. But A has a different shaped case so you can tell if someone slapped an A caseback on a B or H case.
    Last edited by Sedi; August 6th, 2013 at 02:58.

I like these vintage pieces.
    Q
    OMEGA 2234.50
    BENARUS Moray I
    SEIKO 6105-8119
    SEIKO SNM033
    ROLEX 1625
    TAG HEUER F1 WA1211

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information