New Arrivals - Something old (school) & something new (school) - DW-6600/GWF-1000
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: New Arrivals - Something old (school) & something new (school) - DW-6600/GWF-1000

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    GTA, Ontario, Canada, the True North strong and free

Picture New Arrivals - Something old (school) & something new (school) - DW-6600/GWF-1000

Upping my G-force this week with a couple of great arrivals, both firsts for me... Awesome classic DW-6600 "electro luminescence"/Japan M version. Love the history and durability of this model and everywhere it's been (there and back again). Just a little beat up, but that's how I wanted it. Didn't realize till I put it on that is must share the same bezel as the GW-6900 I just sold : P Looks pretty much the same, save the face/module obviously.

And the big and bad GWF-100-1JF Frogman, which I've wanted for the longest time and finally pulled the trigger on a great condition used piece. Really impressive both in terms of presence and functionality. Think I'll leave this as my default entry for the succession of "zombie apocalypse" threads that arise Honestly both of these are just making me want to get different versions of each (e.g., "illuminator" 6600 and the new navy Frogman).

As always, a broad thanks to all that have contributed so much on these and other watches on this forum: it always leads me to finding and trying old, new and great watches!

Here are a few pics. 7.5" wrist for reference.

And just for comparison fun, the Frogman and one of my other favourite Casios, the fantastic PAG-40. Nothing beats the display on this one!

Cheers,
    Anthony
    Piowa, nigelw, Sengyoku and 6 others like this.
    DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

Re: New Arrivals - Something old (school) & something new (school) - DW-6600/GWF-1000

I've been itching for that very same Froggie. I think you owned a 015 Tuna at one point. I know this is stretching it, but how would you compare the watches in terms of wearability? I have a Tuna so I think it could help me visualize how this Frog might wear. Thanks for the pics and congratulations on an awesome combo. They complement one another well.
    hidden by leaves likes this.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Re: New Arrivals - Something old (school) & something new (school) - DW-6600/GWF-1000

Quote Originally Posted by Ottovonn View Post
    I've been itching for that very same Froggie. I think you owned a 015 Tuna at one point. I know this is stretching it, but how would you compare the watches in terms of wearability? I have a Tuna so I think it could help me visualize how this Frog might wear. Thanks for the pics and congratulations on an awesome combo. They complement one another well.
    Thanks Otto. Yes, I did have that Tuna, and yes, sort of hard to compare... Tuna is obviously substantial, but fits very well and I thought well balanced too. Not as big and bulky as I thought it would be. Frogman is lighter due to material, I think probably covers a little more wrist real estate, wears flatter I would say, and is a bit odd due to the asymmetry of the case shape. On memory, and it might seem counter-intuitive, but if I had to pick I'd say the Tuna was a more comfortable watch for me to wear. Just the way it sits on the back of wrist, and that bracelet and adjustability is a work of art. Hope this helps! And you made me miss my Tuna!

Ottovonn likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for your insightful comparison of two very different watches. Despite that you did help me visualize the Frog. :)
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Congratulations on two great watches -- I've got two of the DW-6600 myself!

Quote Originally Posted by hidden by leaves View Post
    Didn't realize till I put it on that is must share the same bezel as the GW-6900 I just sold : P Looks pretty much the same, save the face/module obviously.
    The bezels are really similar but not quite interchangeable. The DW-6600 and DW-6900 DO share the same bezel, but the G- and GW-6900 models use a slightly different bezel. Here's an old thread by Sjors where he tried to switch bezels around between different versions: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f376/g-...-a-377861.html
    hidden by leaves and bgomez like this.

Grrr... just discovered one of my 6600's caseback screw holes is stripped The screw won't go anywhere with the other three snug (it's actually kinda hard to get out even when the three good ones are removed) but it's bugging me. I did see some (forum) threads on some fixes but they're too involved or need stuff I don't have. Guess I'll live with it for now...

The upside is I discovered it on my way to a completely successful DIY fix for a missing alarm spring... that I replaced with a spring from a spare bracelet clasp springbar that I removed and cut in half. Totally MacGyvered it

Mike K thanks for the interesting info. on the different models and bezels!

Cheers,
    Anthony
    Crater likes this.

Big congrats! Very nice indeed. Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Congratulations on two great watches -- I've got two of the DW-6600 myself!

The bezels are really similar but not quite interchangeable. The DW-6600 and DW-6900 DO share the same bezel, but the G- and GW-6900 models use a slightly different bezel. Here's an old thread by Sjors where he tried to switch bezels around between different versions: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f376/g-...-a-377861.html

So, I can get a DW-6900 bezel for my DW-6600? That would be great news for me. My 6600's bezel is showing a bit of resin rot already.
    I am worth more than any item in my watch box.

Congrats on both arrival, both great choices in their own way I have same problem with my 6600, 1 screw hole for caseback is stripped and the screw just turns when it's completly in.

Enjoy wearing them

Quote Originally Posted by bgomez View Post
    So, I can get a DW-6900 bezel for my DW-6600? That would be great news for me. My 6600's bezel is showing a bit of resin rot already.
    According to these threads and PacPart's website, they ARE interchangeable:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/cas...ns-667012.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/doe...-a-431263.html

PacParts: 91041955661

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information