new Bezel and Band

Thread: new Bezel and Band

Question new Bezel and Band

Hey guys, it's me again. So if I want to change my watch's colour do I have to dye it or just buy new bezel and band Like this video - Casio G-Shock DW6900 Watch- How I fixed my busted G-Shock watch.. - YouTube .. I think buying new bezel and band is better than dyeing the old ones?

Re: new Bezel and Band

I think if you are able to find the strap and bezel colours you want, it's better to buy and swap, that way you can always change back to original as well.. dyeing can often be a pain and you might end up with a colour you don't want.. I always come across threads here where a dye job has gone wrong.. like they wanted red and it ends up brown or something..

Dye just adds to the existing color of the resin. You can't lightening the molded color. So if you try to dye a black bezel with any color of dye, it will still be black. If you try to dye a translucent red bezel with yellow dye, you'll get a darker orange translucent bezel.

The best you could hope for is a white opaque bezel. Even then, it takes some playing around to get the effect you want. And the color often fades over time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by fntclulz View Post
    Hey guys, it's me again. So if I want to change my watch's colour do I have to dye it or just buy new bezel and band Like this video - Casio G-Shock DW6900 Watch- How I fixed my busted G-Shock watch.. - YouTube .. I think buying new bezel and band is better than dyeing the old ones?
    Based on your other thread, since you can't easily get Rit brand dye in your location, you might be better off with a new bezel and band.

Rit dye is primarily a fabric dye, but since it works well on manmade fabrics, it can also dye "plastics" like golf balls and Casio bezels. Other brands seems to be formulated to work only on fabrics and don't work as well on Casio resin. I've read about people in Europe and the UK trying to use Dylon brand dye and that stuff is apparently rather hit-and-miss for this purpose -- some colors come out well, others barely tint the resin. A few people have tried using Tulip brand dye and have also reported less-than-optimal results, and I've tried one Dharma Trading Company acid dye which barely tinted my bezel.

Quote Originally Posted by starscream1017 View Post
    I always come across threads here where a dye job has gone wrong.. like they wanted red and it ends up brown or something..
    As Buzzbait said, a lot of that seems to be people using the wrong sorts of dye, and/or forgetting the "color theory" they learned in kindergarten: "blue plus yellow makes green." Then they try dying a yellow G-Shock red and wonder why it came out orange.

I've had pretty good success dying white GW-6900 bezels that I've bought for that purpose: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/res...ml#post6412159 I've also had some sort-of failures because of the colors I've been going for -- gray is a hard color in particular, as are very bright colors like yellow or turquoise -- and I ended up dying those "failures" some shade of brown instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzbait View Post
    Dye just adds to the existing color of the resin. You can't lightening the molded color. So if you try to dye a black bezel with any color of dye, it will still be black. If you try to dye a translucent red bezel with yellow dye, you'll get a darker orange translucent bezel.

The best you could hope for is a white opaque bezel. Even then, it takes some playing around to get the effect you want. And the color often fades over time.
    Exactly -- I've joked before that even with the "right" dyes and bezels, the process is a bit like alchemy: you mix up the ingredients, cross your fingers, throw everything in the pot and then see what happens! Rit LIQUID dye is notorious for this as well -- I've seen where someone tried to use Apple Green dye and ended up with a bright Smurf blue, and I tried using Turquoise and got a different shade of blue without any of the green tones that should have appeared.

By using very hot water and the right dye (Rit powder), though, I've mostly gotten the dye to "do what it says on the tin." The yellow or orange might have come out a darker shade than I expected, but it's definitely yellow or orange, not some other color!

I've been fairly lucky with my colors not fading too badly over time, but I'm a little more careful with my dyed bezels than my "stock" G's -- I don't take them swimming in chlorine-filled pools, and don't shower with them very often. If any DO fade, since I haven't been doing any camouflage patterns, I can always re-dye them the same color again if necessary!

So the better option for me is to buy new band and bezel.. Thank you so much for your information guys :))

Worcester, Worcestershire, United Kingdom

If you need help finding resin pm me I can help.
    passed the 100 now on to 200 i guess?
    my 100 piece collection video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xx4kd0H-gc

Please subscribe to My YouTube
    http://www.youtube.com/user/958649

i would also love you to follow me on instagram
    http://instagram.com/mikeontheedge

Thread Information