New Black Rangeman GW-9400BJ-1JF Pics
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: New Black Rangeman GW-9400BJ-1JF Pics

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Picture New Black Rangeman GW-9400BJ-1JF Pics

Posted these a couple hours ago but now the post is missing or deleted (?). I have an inkling of possibly why; but I didn't even get notified...so, anyways...I'll make this into a short review.

Here are some pics of my brand new Black Negative Rangeman that I received from Seiya. There are lots of pics already posted of the Black Positive and the Green Negative, so I just wanted to add a few of the other model.

For an introductory model of the Rangeman, this is a pretty nice stealth watch. Love the rugged face with the screws on each corner, the 6 large accessible and grippy buttons, and the screws that connect to the straps. The layout of the screen is excellent, the time is nice and large, and the "eye" with the red accent stands out just enough to still keep the watch stealthy. I kind of wish the buttons were tinted black instead of plain silver; but the contrast with the rest of the watch is actually not bad in person.

It has all the functions I would want in an "everything" watch. The ABC sensors are easily accessible with the large button at 3 o'clock. The mode select button at the lower left has all the stopwatch, timer, alarm, world time functions I ever need, too. It's all there.

This is the second G I've ever bought but not my first negative LCD watch, which was a Nike sports watch many years ago. Unfortunately, this tech doesn't seemed to have improved over the years and the LCD is pretty awful to read in even modest light. Pressing the lower middle button illuminates the screen in a nice dark blue and makes everything easily readable. However, my biggest gripe out of the box is that the illumination doesn't last enough (roughly 2 seconds?) and if i want more than a quick glance at my watch in the dark I have to press the button multiple times.

The texture of the resin also does not feel "durable" to me. It resembles shiny, maybe "satin" black plastic that I think would actually show scratches quite easily and takes away from that "durability" and "ruggedness" it is supposed to evoke. Please do not misunderstand me, though...I'm confident that this G will handle anything you throw at it. I'm just saying that first impressions while holding it and wearing it made me think of the above.

Unfortunately, the texture of the resin also takes away from the strap which actually feels cheap and almost too thin. Granted, this JDM version is at a premium because of the carbon fiber insert so I know this strap won't fail anytime soon...but it definitely feels like there's an imbalance between the strap and the size and weight of the watch body itself. Not sure if I would feel as confident about the strap on the non-JDM/non-CF version.

Now, i don't actually intend to keep this watch...but would I buy another one in the future? Yes. Again, it's an everything watch that I would definitely wear anywhere I go. However, I would probably go with the positive LCD and definitely not one with the hard, shiny plastic texture of this model. I would definitely get another CF version for the strap, too.

Last edited by GW-A1030A; October 13th, 2013 at 18:45. Reason: spelling, grammar
    Chrisek, KVM888, blenng83 and 6 others like this.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Re: New Black Rangeman GW-9400BJ-1JF Pics

Nice review and one that pic up some suboptimal points well.

I rather enjoy reading reviews like yours than all those who are hunky-dory about a new purchase which are seldom objective enough until the endorphin stops to kick in

About the illumination: according to the manual you can choose between 1.5 and 3 seconds, that might help you.

cheers
    Last edited by cal..45; October 13th, 2013 at 13:32.
    We are 12.6 %

Interesting review, thank you. I decided against the 9400BJ as I suspected I may feel the same about the negative display and from the pictures found it hard to get a clear understanding of what the resin was like. Have you seen the regular 9400J? If so, how would you describe the difference? Is the strap on the 9400BJ also then made of the same material as the bezel? The reason I ask is the 9400J to me, doesn't at all feel cheap, thin or not durable. It feels like a solid workhorse. I haven't seen the 9400BJ in person and I think you're right, it looks very difficult to capture in photographs.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for this. I was hoping unreadable negative displays were a thing of the past after reading raving opinions about the GD-350's negative display.
    The resin indeed looks somewhat weird shiny also in other pictures. None the less a very good looking watch and perhaps a good call from Casio to leave the buttons and screws grey coloured.

Interesting opinions in your review here, thanks for sharing. From my perspective, the resin used in this watch is the same as the resin used in the GWA-1100; with just a different finish, and feels very high quality to me. In fact, the (new?) resin composite G-Shock has been using in their recent releases seem more durable and denser than previous iterations, giving them a nice solid weight. I would have to disagree in terms of the feel of the resin as well...I really like the matte/gloss finish and it looks feels very premium in my opinion.

The strap in comparison to the GWA-1100 strap is about the same thickness; however the 9400 does have indents throughout the band that reduces the weight/thickness. I've noticed that after working up a little sweat, the band sticks right in place and doesn't slide around like most smooth bands do...this is actually great when engaged in activities, as you're not constantly readjusting the position of your watch. Not to mention the carbon fiber running throughout the band, it has an overall nice feel on the wrist.

Regarding the negative display, it's not terrible, but I agree, there hasn't been advancement in visibility in negative displays (at least this one). But having dealt with negative displays before, I knew what I was getting into in terms of visibility; it's actually fine to me once you get used to it. Guess that is just the price you pay for the aesthetic of negative display.

Nice pics btw, thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by gnus411; October 13th, 2013 at 18:50.

Thanks for the review! Sharp lookin' G!

Quote Originally Posted by MCZK View Post
    Have you seen the regular 9400J? If so, how would you describe the difference? Is the strap on the 9400BJ also then made of the same material as the bezel? The reason I ask is the 9400J to me, doesn't at all feel cheap, thin or not durable. It feels like a solid workhorse. I haven't seen the 9400BJ in person and I think you're right, it looks very difficult to capture in photographs.
    I haven't seen the 9400J in person so I'm unable to compare against it. However, I do have a A1030A Sky Cockpit which is virtually the same size, weight, and build as the Rangeman. Without taking out my calipers, I would guess the strap is nearly the same in style and build. However the texture or material is like the soft, velvet, matte plastic and i don't get that cheap plastic feel like I do on the 9400BJ. Again, these are just first impressions, but I imagine I would be more comfortable with the 9400BJ if it didn't have that shiny, hard plastic texture going for it. (I apologize for these awful descriptions on the texture and material...can't think of a better way to describe it)

And yes, the shiny, hard plastic texture is uniform throughout the watch. It's still a great looking watch...probably half the reason I got it...but the feel is just hard to convey from pics, ads, and text.

Thanks for a down to Earth observations and opinions of your new watch.

You are right about the resin, the black BJ-1JF version comes with 'painted' resin, which comes as a bit of a surprise knowing what the Rangeman's intended use should be. While it won't flake it will definitely scratch and strip off if you decide to put it thru its paces. I've owned few G-shocks in similar 'painted' resin finish and the ones I used to wear more frequently started to show the wear around the edges and corners.

My guess is Casio was after a dark deep black look of the standard black resin resin (which by default comes in dark gray finish) to make it appear stealthier.
    Last edited by babola; October 13th, 2013 at 19:37.

Quote Originally Posted by babola View Post
    My guess is Casio was after a dark deep black look of the standard black resin resin (which by default comes in dark gray finish) to make it appear stealthier.
    It definitely is darker but shinier. Just took some comparison pics with my A1030A (which I think the material would be closer to the 9400J Black Positive model).

jumpstat and mitadoc like this.

I was hoping Casio would step up the neg display on the Rangeman to the GD350 tech as well. It looks the same as the 9300 series. Having said that, this one is still on my list.

sent with aloha
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information