new to collecting Casio... not sure what I am doing...
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: new to collecting Casio... not sure what I am doing...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I have worn a Casio watch since 1985... loved the 5000 - kept me up to date in college...

after it (the battery) died, I wore an AMW-320 for several years... (changed a few batteries) then moved up to the GW1300A for the solar/atomic features...

about 6 months ago I decided to replace my GW1300 and started looking at what Casio had to offer... at first I was disappointed that my favorite watch was discontinued...

then it hit me... hard... I had to get a MR-G and then a MTG and then several Gravity Masters, two Oceanus, and a classic....

here is my question...

I am looking at getting a Rangeman... and the prices are anywhere from $1200 to $200 - what am I missing?

and I am looking for a King G-shock and I have seen them new for $900 down to $200 - again, what am I missing?

I shop on the bay and amazon... and the price ranges can be huge...

I purchased the MR-G for $3100 but it was listed at over 4000 on a couple of places...

thanks for any help...

Mike

Re: new to collecting Casio... not sure what I am doing...

Price ranges on Gs can be all over the shop. The Rangeman is often a subject of counterfeiters, so one needs to watch for those.

You wouldn't happen to still have that DW-5000 laying around still, would you? If you do, chances are that you can whack a new battery into it and it'll come back to life. The DW-5000 is an excellent piece of Casio history for sure. I love mine.

What are you missing?

You are seeing supply and demand at work (not to mention, exorbitant price gouging by some sellers).

Some of the Rangeman models are more limited and/or desirable just because of their color schemes -- and therefore, more expensive. (though I don't think I've seen one for $1,200!! That's just nuts) With the Kings, some of them are out of production and some of those color schemes are highly sought after -- so, there again you have high prices.

One note on the Rangers -- ALL of them, regardless of version, have the same functionality. (they use the same module) The only difference in some of the watches is that some have a combo carbon fiber/resin strap while others are just resin. That's it! So if all you care about is the functionality, and not so much about carbon fiber straps or color, you can find a Rangeman for less than $200 on Amazon (and probably Ebay too).

The Kings - the solar/atomic models will have the highest prices. Even just the solar models can be expensive depending on how scarce they are and their colors.

Good luck!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There're Frogman for e.g. 8,000 - 12,000 or up to 15,000 USD and even more around. So as Time4Playnow said it all comes down to supply and demand. A King for 900 USD can be only the DGK in new condition (NOS); well and a Rangeman for 1,200 USD? - good luck to the seller

Sent from my iPhone 6+
    Last edited by Deepsea_dweller; July 25th, 2015 at 06:28.
    Time4Playnow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Deepsea_dweller View Post
    Sent from my iPhone 6+
    Please remove that footer. Your device is irrelevant. It's spam. Moderator: please remove this message after the spam has been removed.

Quote Originally Posted by A380 View Post
    Please remove that footer. Your device is irrelevant. It's spam. Moderator: please remove this message after the spam has been removed.
    It may be irrelevant to you, but it's not against forum rules and will not therefore be removed.
    NotSure, MCZK, Cobia and 7 others like this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

thanks for the heads-up...

it appears that watches that are for the Japanese market command much higher prices than those for the US market...

any idea why?

Quote Originally Posted by Pharmagator View Post
    thanks for the heads-up...

it appears that watches that are for the Japanese market command much higher prices than those for the US market...

any idea why?
    If you're talking about Japanese market watches being sold in the US, then it's a rarity thing. Many times, people who import Japanese market watches have to go to some effort to do so and not many people are going to do the legwork for a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradjhomes View Post
    It may be irrelevant to you, but it's not against forum rules and will not therefore be removed.
    It's irrelevant in general.

Quote Originally Posted by A380 View Post
    It's irrelevant in general.
    Your comments are irrelevant. You just popped in -- twice -- just to stir things up, and to spread YOUR irrelevant opinions instead of actually offering up any facts ON THE ACTUAL TOPIC!

Congratulations: you should have your picture on the Wikipedia entry for "Internet Troll."

To the OP (and on topic):

Prices for Casio watches vary wildly depending on the model, their popularity, their actual rarity, their rarity AS PERCEIVED by both owner and seller, and many other factors. Casio has made MANY limited edition G-Shocks, and has made many "collaboration" G-Shocks with other companies (which are also generally limited in the actual numbers produced).

Most of the time there's no difference in the actual function of the watch, as they all have the same electronic module inside, though some limited editions and "collabs" may have a custom image over the backlight. Usually the difference with those are special printing on the bezel, the name of the other company printed on the watch crystal, and on the packaging. Very rarely (as on the Rangeman) will one sub-model have a special feature like the carbon strap.

Some of the craziest pricing I've seen is when one Amazon or eBay seller realizes that he's got the last of a particular normal model for sale AT THAT PARTICULAR TIME and then quintuples the price, hoping someone is dumb enough to buy it. This forum has seen quite a few common models temporarily jump from a hundred dollars or so to five or eight times the MSRP, which usually means that someone will join WUS just for the sake of asking "why is that model worth that much?"

"It's not worth that much, it's worth $(about the MSRP). Give it a few weeks and some more "new old stock" ones will reappear, or some barely-used ones will go up for sale, and the price will drop again."
    GEO_79, Cobia and Ottovonn like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information