New to G-Shock; need help selecting which one!

Thread: New to G-Shock; need help selecting which one!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New to G-Shock; need help selecting which one!

Hello all. My name is Quentin and I am new to the forum. I am in need of a serious watch, but am lost with all of the options out there! I am leaning toward a G-Shock as I am an extremely active 20 year old. I am a personal trainer, do mechanic and desk work, and am a student. I am also the type of person who only wears one watch.

That being said, I have an idea of what functions I want in a watch:

Backlight
    Timer
    At Least 4 alarms
    Chronograph/Stopwatch
    Solar Power
    Tough/Shock Resistant

*I would prefer one with a thermometer, but that is not a necessity. I have an average-small wrist (about 6 or 7 inches in diameter) and prefer something not too bold in color.

I noticed the GW9200-1 “Riseman” looked like it fit the bill pretty well, but want the opinions of some seasoned users! Thanks in advance for the help! I've enjoyed reading the forum for several weeks - glad to be a member!

Re: New to G-Shock; need help selecting which one!

Welcome to the forum. The Riseman is an excellent choice, if I could only have one watch I would pick that one too. If you don't need atomic time sync then the G-9200 would be an even better choice since it is cheaper. It also has an altimeter and barometer/thermometer to boot.

thanks! since the G-9200 isn't sold in the states, would it have imperial? or am i misinformed..?

also, any other styles that match the above criteria? I wanted to see if anyone had anything else other than the riseman..maybe not even g shock (although durability is important)

*edit: my primary use will be for training, but durability and solar power are very important as well
    Last edited by thatdude; May 9th, 2011 at 11:20.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Nothing is learned without curiosity

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by thatdude View Post
    thanks! since the G-9200 isn't sold in the states, would it have imperial? or am i misinformed..?

also, any other styles that match the above criteria? I wanted to see if anyone had anything else other than the riseman..maybe not even g shock (although durability is important)

*edit: my primary use will be for training, but durability and solar power are very important as well

You are misinformed, I bought my Riseman (GW-9200) from the US ;)

I believe that many other Gs can do like the Riseman, even better, but the Riseman has some unique features you won't have on any other G.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    You are misinformed, I bought my Riseman (GW-9200) from the US ;)

I believe that many other Gs can do like the Riseman, even better, but the Riseman has some unique features you won't have on any other G.
    I was the one who told him that the G-9200 is not available in the US...unless I am the one who is severely misinformed, I can only see the GW-9200 on Casio USA's website and not the G-9200

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by GTR83 View Post
    I was the one who told him that the G-9200 is not available in the US...unless I am the one who is severely misinformed, I can only see the GW-9200 on Casio USA's website and not the G-9200
    The US has atomic clock so logically all watches sold in the US should have the "W", but I think it's possible to buy non-atomic watches in the US too.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Yep, I specifically suggested the G-9200 if he doesn't really need the atomic sync, because it costs less. But of course the GW-9200 should be easier to get in the US and since the US does have the atomic transmitter, then it will be a useful feature. Probably my English wasn't good enough to imply what I meant

Member Horrible Gelatinous Blob's Avatar

Judging from your avatar, I'm guessing you surf? In that case, might I suggest the G-Shock Silencer

It meets all your criteria, having three alarms and one snooze alarm. It's solar, has a 60 min timer (which essentially can be an 8hr timer with the auto-repeat function). Has a stopwatch mode and is solar powered as well atomic sync capable.

It also has a temperature sensor and a moon and tide graph function. The silencer is also known for its vibrating alarm, which may be useful seeing as you're a student. The watch may be a little pricey and hard to find though, since it was a Japan only release I believe....but seeing as you're a one watch guy, might as well splurge a bit right?

I have a 6.75" wrist, and I've owned a riseman. If you're primarily gonna use the watch for training, I wouldn't go with a riseman. It was a little too big on my wrist for that purpose. I currently use a 5600 for weight-lifting and running so you might want to check those out too. The 5600s are very low profile, so they stay out of the way during workouts.

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by GTR83 View Post
    Yep, I specifically suggested the G-9200 if he doesn't really need the atomic sync, because it costs less. But of course the GW-9200 should be easier to get in the US and since the US does have the atomic transmitter, then it will be a useful feature.

Yes Riseman or not Riseman I would recommend an atomic G, it's a very cool feature

@GTR83 I understand now what you were saying; the misunderstanding was on my end as well

@HorribleBlob Thanks for that post! I'm going to look into the silencer to see how much more it will cost to purchase over the riseman. I think i like the riseman the most now, having spent a few hours reading this site and browsing around.

But again, if there is another style that I may have overlooked or not researched, please tell me if you think it would be a good fit. Thanks!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Nothing is learned without curiosity

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information