New G-Shock addict
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: New G-Shock addict

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New G-Shock addict

Not sure what happened to me, but I've fallen headlong into the G-Shock black hole. It all started when I decided to dump my 10 year old Timex Ironman, and get another good digital beater. Figured I'd get another Ironman, since G-Shocks had never really crossed my mind before. Already have a decent Seiko GMT quartz movement, but wanted to have a trusty, daily, simple digital - that looked good. Somehow I was feeling nostalgic for all things 80's and ended up buying the G-Shock DW-5600 for $49 at Target. Awesome looking watch - couldn't figure out why I didn't pick up the original back in the 80's when it was to be had. Don't really desire to jump into atomic or solar right now - love simple, original and tough looking.Then after googling "authentic G-Shock" and "original G-Shock look"...I discovered the more kick-ass looking DW-6900 - which I grabbed at Walmart for $55...this is an incredible piece. Was feeling a bit guilty for grabbing 2 watches in 2 days, but kind of giddy at getting 2 great watches for that price. Then I found out (on this forum) about another simple, classic G-Shock piece - the DW-9052...found one with the yellow highlights (not red) at Target for $49 and then without thinking I just bought it before my mind reasoned with me that I didn't need it.

So suddenly I have a G-Shock collection going...no, I know, none of these are high end pieces; none are maxing out the latest gadgetry. But I haven't enjoyed watches like this before, and love having these original looking pieces to rotate. Was looking at my old ironman - it seems so sad in comparison.

A month ago I was researching all sorts of Seiko watches I was going to purchase from Japan (ie...the Alpinist, a couple of "5s", a seiko dive watch)...any one of which would have put me back $500...and now I have 3 that I truthfully enjoy to max for about $150. Feeling good...

Just a little worried that I'll keep adding to this collection - the military looking 6900's out there are pretty tempting. And the GDX 6900 looks like something I need to have. Dang.

My only worry is whether the battery changing process in 2-3 years on these 3 units is going to be a pain.

Cheers.
    fwupow, Chrisek, Kev55 and 3 others like this.

Re: New G-Shock addict

HaHa :D You're toast! It's worse than nicotine. You'll think you've kicked the habit and moved on to fresher & better things and then BAM, you're sucked back into the G-Shock vortex.

I bought an Ironman 100 lap with FLiX system about 2 or 3 years ago. I dug it out of a back shelf a week or two back and found it to be dead. Mind you, this is a TIMEX which spent almost it's entire life sitting on a shelf in the dark with no alarm or Indiglo usage and the battery gave up in a couple of years. G-Shocks do better than that. If you like wearing several (or even more!) watches on a rotating basis, you'll be using less power than what CASIO bases their battery life prediction on, so a 3 yr batt life will probably go for 5. Lots of people have dug old 80s & 90s DW-5000/5200/5600 Gs out of drawers 20 years after buying them and they're still running.

It helps to have the right precision philips screwdriver and a sewing needle or safety pin but it's actually not that difficult to change a G-Shock battery. It's good to use warm water and an old toothbrush with mild soap on it to clean the watch all over and especially around the edges of the caseback before doing the batt change. Good lighting and a magnifying glass or visor can make it a little easier. On the first batt change, your caseback gasket should be OK so you don't need to replace that. At the 10 yr mark and beyond, the original gasket will probably be a bit hard and needing replacement. There are several how-to guides here in WUS and on Youtube. !Don't lose the 'Alarm Spring'. It normally stays in it's socket but if you're not aware of it, you may knock it out and lose it and then your beeper won't beep. Anyway, after you do a few of them, it'll be old-hat, easy-peasy.
    Mike K, nigelw, greg1491 and 1 others like this.
    I almost never wear any watch other than a G-Shock. My collection is listed here-->http://watchshock.com/collection/1471/

Other watches: Invicta Sub-Aqua Venom 5733 & Coalition Forces 0225, Suunto Vector, Traser Mil-G Type 6 P6600 Celebration Edition, Luminox 3059.SAR and a few cheap Timex & Armitron

Congrats tomcov! 3 fantastic watches!! Many around here consider your 5600 to represent everything that is great about G-Shock!
    Battery life. Much more than you are thinking and none of us would be surprised you went 10+ years on these before battery change.
    Fun is what it is all about, happy to hear you are getting that in! As mentioned above, you are kind of of doomed if you stay in this forum, extremely addicting, and a lot of fun to be had! :cool::cool:

sent with aloha
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome and congratulations, and as the others have said it's pretty easy to go from one G-Shock to three to "how DID I get this many?"

I had a DW-5600 for almost 10 years, found this forum two years ago when I bought my first solar/atomic, and now I have 12 G-Shocks and 6 non-G Casios, each costing well under $100! (There's a big difference between "paying MSRP" and "shopped around for a few days and got a bargain." )

The best advice I can offer is to keep reading all the great information on this forum and to try do your research before you buy too many new models. I don't have any that I really regret buying, but there are a few that seldom get as much "wrist time" now as some of the others.

Similar story here. Bought a square (5610) shortly followed by a Riseman.
    Now I see a Rangeman in my very near future.
    Enjoy your G Shocks. Everyday and in good health.
    Last edited by vanilla.coffee; March 15th, 2014 at 09:44.
    Down in the park with a friend called five

lvt

Poor fellow, I hear you, I've put 2 years to take the G-shock off my wrist, and it seems that I will be back any time soon :P
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Thanks for the encouragement all!
    1. Anyone have any insights on the GWM500A or GWM530A? Nice looking...a shift different from the 3 pieces I bought already. I just haven't heard much chatter about them.
    2. What about the GW2310...which looks a bit similar but not quite as nice.

Welcome to the club. Once you have visited the dark side of the force....there is no turning back. Many G's can last over ten years on a battery...then of course there is solar! Good basic G's to begin your collection with. Have fun!
    Casio G, Not just a watch, but a way of life.

Welcome to the addiction buddy haha!

you cant go wrong with "classic line" g-shock... they got their own charm.. dont worry about battery life.. its super easy to change g-shock battery.

mine say hi... i just dont have dw-6900 since its just to bulky for my wrist =)

If you like the 6900 body style and are looking to avoid battery changes I would suggest the GW-6900. Solar and Atomic for approx $80. Welcome to the madness.
    nigelw likes this.
    "When as a child I laughed and wept, time crept. When as a youth I waxed more bold, time strolled. When I became a full-grown man, time RAN. When older still I daily grew, time FLEW. Soon I shall find, in passing on, time gone. O Christ! wilt Thou have saved me then? Amen." - Henry Twells

Seiko Tuna SBBN035 | Tag Heuer Professional 2000 | Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2110

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information