New to G-shock. DW5600E-1V or GWM5610-1
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Mike K
  • 1 Post By Chr1st2aan
  • 2 Post By Rocat

Thread: New to G-shock. DW5600E-1V or GWM5610-1

New to G-shock. DW5600E-1V or GWM5610-1

Hello! I am working for a local irrigation business over the summer and am looking for my first g-shock. I basically dig ditches all day in the hot, humid Texas heat, and am thinking that the black resin might get fairly hot and all the direct sunlight wouldn't be good for the display. I was also curious about reading the display in bright sunlight from a variety of angles. I had read that some of the other normal displays are bolder. The $41 DW5600E-1V is a bit more appealing of the two because it is $50 cheaper. Although I do think the red bezel stripe on the solar does give it some nice color. If it was a nice blue I would have probably bought it. Having an audible alarm would be nice, but it's not a deal breaker. I am pretty set on the traditional looking classic line. I like things simple. I used an old, beat up Timex Expedition last summer for the same job, but it got thrown away. It fared well except the second hand always rubbed the alarm indice so it wasn't always spot on.

With such a seemingly huge variety, I'm open to other models you might recommend, but I would prefer it be less than $100.
    All feedback is greatly appreciated.
    "A watch is ruined, not by time, but by bad handling. To run well it should be wound regularly, cleaned yearly, and, if injured, taken to a competent, practical man. A ​Waltham watch properly cared for will last a lifetime." -American Waltham Watch Co. Catalog (c) 1900
    “When your watch gets out of order you have a choice of two things to do: throw it in the fire or take it to the watch-tinker. The former is the quickest.” -Mark Twain

Re: New to G-shock. DW5600E-1V or GWM5610-1

Forget about the appearances of the two watches for a moment and think about the functions they offer.

Do you want to pay $50 more for a solar-powered watch that updates itself nightly so it's always accurate to within a second of the official atomic clock, one that you (probably) won't have to change the battery for 15 or 20 years, and one that will automatically switch to and from Daylight Saving Time? (I personally LIKE all of those features, and think they're worth the extra money, but some other people don't.)

Do you need or want the world time features on the GWM5610, or the FIVE alarms that it features?

The DW-5600E has ONE alarm, which is probably louder, and displays time in all modes.
    Ash1979 and JohnM like this.

I have both and the GW-M5610-1 is excellent and blows the DW-5600E away. That said, if bargain basement is what you are going for, the DW-5600E is hard to beat, but the GW-M5610 offers a lot more value in the long run, if you can use the features (world time, 5 alarms, etc.).
    Currently
    Longines Legend Diver (Grail!), Tudor Heritage Black Bay (Grail!), Fortis B-42 Official Cosmonauts Chronograph (Grail!), Aquadive BS100 GMT Orange (Grail!), Glycine Combat Sub 42 "Phantom", Citizen Promaster NY0040-09E, Dan Henry 1970/40 Grey, Dan Henry 1963 Black, Accutron VX-200 Black, Bulova Moon Watch 9B251, Bulova Precisionist 98B212, Casio OCEANUS OCW-G1000-1AJF Waveceptor Titanium, Marathon TSAR, Bathys Hawaii Benthic Black/PVD, Sharkey 6105 Homage, Borealis Sea Storm, Borealis Estoril Blue/Triangle/ND, many more
    Seiko
    Prospex SRP773 modded, Prospex SRP775 modded, Prospex SUN019, SKX173 modded, SKX173, SNDA65, SNA225, SNZH53,
    6309-7040 6/'83
    Vostok
    Amphibia SE 150RE2L2 "Baikonur" (Grail!), Amphibia 110725, Amphibia SE 020677S, Amphibia 710059, Amphibia 110916, Kommandirski, V-E N1 Raketa x2
    On Way

Soon
    Squale 1521 Opaco Blue

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator G-Shock Forum

There are different Color variations of the GW-M5610 around, so you could get rid of the red line if you like! :)
    Check the GW-M5630 series with other Colors the black too!

From an low-maintenance poit of view the GW-M is the winner.
    Still the DW-5600E will live on one battery for 5 years or so too. You will just have to adjust for DST every 6 months.

Thanks for the quick replies.
    I really could only see myself using 1 or two alarms. But will the excessive sunlight be harder on the solar battery than the normal one? And do I have to set the watch in the window at night to get the signal?
    "A watch is ruined, not by time, but by bad handling. To run well it should be wound regularly, cleaned yearly, and, if injured, taken to a competent, practical man. A ​Waltham watch properly cared for will last a lifetime." -American Waltham Watch Co. Catalog (c) 1900
    “When your watch gets out of order you have a choice of two things to do: throw it in the fire or take it to the watch-tinker. The former is the quickest.” -Mark Twain

I like the 5610 but don't like the red outline. The 5610 with the looks of the 5600E and it's a homerun
    JohnM likes this.

Welcome to the G-shock forum. Either 5600's won't do any wrong for you. DW5600E is the most basic and humble model, but will get the job done. Since you mentioned you ditches all day, meaning will get in contact of dirt and mud, may I also suggest the Mudman. The G9000 pictured below is the least expensive model at around $65 bucks. It has membranes over the buttons, so mud won't get inside. The buttons do tend to be harder to push though because of that. The numbers are not that big on the Mudman display, but for some reason it's much more clearer than many other models. That's another advantage of the Mudman.

Name:  g9000mudman.jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  17.9 KB
    Last edited by watch_geek2014; May 12th, 2015 at 20:05.

Quote Originally Posted by CC Texas View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies.
    I really could only see myself using 1 or two alarms. But will the excessive sunlight be harder on the solar battery than the normal one? And do I have to set the watch in the window at night to get the signal?
    If one or two alarms, then the DW-5600E.

No, the sunlight will not be "harder" on the solar battery. If you are outside all day it will just stay "Super topped off" with a full charge.

In Texas, being close to Colorado, you do not need to be near a window for atomic reception. I live in South Carolina and my watches sync almost nightly on a shelf beside my desk, facing East to the Atlantic Ocean.

Outside all day, the GW-M5610 has slightly larger digits, but with sunlight the DW-5600E lcd is no slouch either.

The alarm tone is much louder on the DW-5600E than the 5610. But neither is anywhere near the decibel level of a Timex.

You are asking opinions so, if it were me, I would choose the DW-5600E and never look back. It can be bought at Walmart and on eBay for next to nothing, (nothing being a relative term of course).

Casio G-Shock Illuminating Watch - Walmart.com

Casio Men's G Shock Classic Digital Watch DW5600E 1v 079767554439 | eBay
    Mike K and LankyOrangutan like this.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

I decided to go for the DW-5600E-1V mainly because of the price. I also think the face looks more balanced. $33 from Amazon Prime with a discount code I am quite pleased. Maybe I will get another G-shock because there are so many to like!
    I can now use the money I saved on some more LP's.
    Thanks for all the help everybody, it was greatly appreciated!

Thread Information