New to G-Shock, Help??
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New to G-Shock, Help??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New to G-Shock, Help??

I'm new to this G-Shock watch and planning to get one soon. I've been wearing mechanical watches for quite a while and really like the GMT function since I use them a lot to track other timezones. I've been researching on a G-Shock model with the capability to display two or more timezones on the screen altogether at the same time and came across this G7700-1 and G7710-1. my question is, for the G7700-1 and G7710-1, are the only difference between these models are the color and the screen?

also, my wrist is quite large (8.25 - 8.5 inches during summer) so do you guys think G77xx would fit my wrist just fine or should I get a longer strap? and if I do, where can I get it?

lastly, I know that most G-Shock has world time / dual time function but is there any other G-Shock out there that has the capability to display at least 2 timezones together on the screen all at the same time like the G77xx series? I really don't want to scroll through the screen with the button every time I want to check the other time zone.

thanks in advance.

Re: New to G-Shock, Help??

Yes, the only difference between the 7700 and the 7710 is a negative lcd and colored bits on the case. The 77XX series can display up to three times zones at once. Granted I had both the 00 and the 10 and I never did it.

The G/GW-6900 series can display two time zones at once by pressing the top right button from the main time screen.

There are others but at the moment but I am not recalling them.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

thanks for the info...

I forgot to mention as well that I prefer a normal quartz G shock as compared to solar powered ones so I guess GW6900 is out of the equation for now

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by duffin123456 View Post
    thanks for the info...

I forgot to mention as well that I prefer a normal quartz G shock as compared to solar powered ones so I guess GW6900 is out of the equation for now
    All non mechanical watches are quartz watches. Quartz is the timekeeping element in digital watches and are in all of them, they vibrate a certain amount of times every second, allowing the watch to keep time and advance the time shown. All quartz watches use batteries too, both solar and non-solar. The only downside of a solar is that if there were 0 charging, it would only last for a limited amount of time (~9 months), while non-solar models usually last for 2-10 years (model dependent). The choice is yours, most models come with a non-solar variation too, but personally I'd prefer solar. If you intend to work for long periods (like 9 months) in the dark, or if you are limited by budget, go for the non-solar one! Both the G-6900 and the GW-6900 are solar, the DW-6900 is non-solar. The difference between G and GW is that one has atomic time sync feature while the other does not. GW's are generally work horses that require no care, time is set automatically and no batt change needed! Anyways, hope I've helped!

Quote Originally Posted by MrCheez View Post
    All non mechanical watches are quartz watches. Quartz is the timekeeping element in digital watches and are in all of them, they vibrate a certain amount of times every second, allowing the watch to keep time and advance the time shown. All quartz watches use batteries too, both solar and non-solar. The only downside of a solar is that if there were 0 charging, it would only last for a limited amount of time (~9 months), while non-solar models usually last for 2-10 years (model dependent). The choice is yours, most models come with a non-solar variation too, but personally I'd prefer solar. If you intend to work for long periods (like 9 months) in the dark, or if you are limited by budget, go for the non-solar one! Both the G-6900 and the GW-6900 are solar, the DW-6900 is non-solar. The difference between G and GW is that one has atomic time sync feature while the other does not. GW's are generally work horses that require no care, time is set automatically and no batt change needed! Anyways, hope I've helped!
    thanks for the info. regarding solar watches, most time they're always under my shirt so I'm afraid if it's covered then it won't charge properly and therefore will just become another hassle at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by duffin123456 View Post
    thanks for the info. regarding solar watches, most time they're always under my shirt so I'm afraid if it's covered then it won't charge properly and therefore will just become another hassle at the end of the day.

You live in California, there is always sun. The solar watches will operate in complete darkness for 9 months. If you wear it regularly, anytime you are outside or near a window and the watch is exposed to the sun it will be charging. Take the watch off and put it on a windowsill once you get home. It really only need about 5 minutes of sun to "maintain" the high charge during daily use. The watch will never drop below high, unless you work nights and have your windows completely blocked of any sunshine.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

The solar watches can be charged by any light source, not just the sun.
    Tom

Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more, than the traveling hands of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocat View Post
    You live in California, there is always sun. The solar watches will operate in complete darkness for 9 months. If you wear it regularly, anytime you are outside or near a window and the watch is exposed to the sun it will be charging. Take the watch off and put it on a windowsill once you get home. It really only need about 5 minutes of sun to "maintain" the high charge during daily use. The watch will never drop below high, unless you work nights and have your windows completely blocked of any sunshine.
    These watches need an average of 5 minutes of OUTDOOR sunshine a day to maintain their charge, but they don't need it every day. A half hour per week or two hours each month will accomplish the same thing.

For lesser light sources, like sunlight through a window, they require more time, but still don't need light every single day. Here's the chart from the GW-6900 manual:

Name:  6900 daily.png
Views: 131
Size:  23.6 KB

I have eleven solar/atomic Casios and try to wear each of them for a week or two during the summer months here in Ohio, and that's enough to keep most of them on "high" through the fall and winter. A couple may drop to "medium" in January or February and need to put outside on a rare sunny day, but most of them stay on "high" year round.

G-Shock G-7710

3 simultaneous time zones, among it's unique features

G-7700-1

Last edited by yankeexpress; October 1st, 2015 at 16:45.
    VR16710 likes this.

Duffin,
    I have the same size wrist as you, 8.25" to 8.5" or so and I am happy to say I just received my G-7710 in the mail today and it fits great! For comparison, I also have a GWM5610-1, which I love but the fit is rather smallish on that one. I typically have two notches left on the band with it, which is still okay but on occasion the tip of the band can slip out of the little keeper.

With the G-7710 I have 3 notches left and also the band has a longer tip after the last notches. In fact comparing the two side by side the smaller banded 5610 has it's last two notches where the 7710 has a blank tip - I guess hard to explain without a picture but you definitely shouldn't have issue with the size of the 7710.

Sorry I haven't gone over the manual yet, but once again Yankeexpress has provided some awesome pics! I love the green striped band and it seems to have the functions, such as showing 3 time zones at once, that you might like.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information