new g shock ,not that impressed

Thread: new g shock ,not that impressed

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4

    new g shock ,not that impressed

    Bought a gw 5600 to replace my twenty five year old 5600c and have to say who ever designed those push buttons wants to take a close look at the 5600c from the eighties for a object lesson in good easy to use control buttons, the items on the modern watch are a joke, went swiming today and tried to use as a stopwatch, virtually impossible to operate with wet hands , its going on bay tommorow and im sticking with the classic 5600c
    Last edited by knup; July 7th, 2010 at 21:31.

  2. #2
    Moderator DougFNJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    7,266

    Re: new g shock ,not that impressed

    Quote Originally Posted by knup View Post
    Bought a gw 5600 to replace my twenty five year old 5600c and have to say who ever designed those push buttons wants to take a close look at the 5600c from the eighties for a object lesson in good easy to use control buttons, the items on the modern watch are a joke, went swiming today and tried to use as a stopwatch, virtually impossible to operate with wet hands , its going on bay tommorow and im sticking with the classic 5600c
    Not a bad one to stick with
    Apple Watch Space Black Series 5 w/ LTE
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600C Speed
    Casio G-Shock GPR-B1000 Rangeman
    Casio G-Shock GW-B5600BC-1BJF
    Casio G-Shock GWF-1000-1DR Frogman
    Casio G-Shock GW-7900B-1 Rescue
    Citizen ATO810-55X
    Omega Speedmaster Co Axial Moon Watch 311.33.44.51.01.002
    Rolex Explorer II 216570 Black Dial

    Seiko SKA625
    Seiko Velatura SNAA93
    Seiko V701


    Check out my video reviews at:
    www.youtube.com/dougfnj
    Twitter: @DougFNJ



  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4

    Re: new g shock ,not that impressed

    Your right Doug ,dont really know why i decided to replace my faithfull C, got sucked into the misconception new is better and i honestly dont think it is, sure its got atomic timing ,solar power ect but it is to my mind a poor imitaion of the original ,that cheapo case with its tacky on back cover retained by four screws is awfull and it just feels cheap and nasty compared to the stainless steel screwback , however those shoddy awfull push buttons are the final straw ,its going
    Last edited by knup; July 7th, 2010 at 21:49.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Maine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Northants, UK
    Posts
    3,203

    Re: new g shock ,not that impressed

    I found this forum last year after idly wondering if my old Casio was worth cleaning up. Since then I've bought a few new Gs, and while they're all fun and new, my original 5600C still seems somehow different from all of them.

    If you were thinking of replacing yours for cosmetic reasons, a new bezel and strap can work wonders. Here's my original G-forum thread showing my re-clothed 5600c:

    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=291216
    The Search function on vBulletin forums isn't very smart. If you want to search for a complete string in the G-Shock forum, or for posts which include multiple words, use Google, and enter site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17 into the search box. Then use normal google syntax after that to enter your search.

  6. #5
    Member cal..45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)
    Posts
    8,522

    Re: new g shock ,not that impressed

    @ knup,

    the buttons on many g-shock's left a lot to be desired and it's something i quite often criticised. if you think the buttons on the GW-5600 are bad, try a G-8000 ....

    the best buttons i'm aware of (great grip, easy to operate with thick gloves and/or wet hands) are those of the G(W)-7900 series and the G-7710/7700 series. you might want to give those a try, although none of them (as 99% of the modern G's) have a screw back if that is important to you.


    cheers
    We are 12.6 %

  7. #6
    Moderator DougFNJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    7,266

    Re: new g shock ,not that impressed

    Quote Originally Posted by knup View Post
    Your right Doug ,dont really know why i decided to replace my faithfull C, got sucked into the misconception new is better and i honestly dont think it is, sure its got atomic timing ,solar power ect but it is to my mind a poor imitaion of the original ,that cheapo case with its tacky on back cover retained by four screws is awfull and it just feels cheap and nasty compared to the stainless steel screwback , however those shoddy awfull push buttons are the final straw ,its going
    I definitely feel they don't make em like they used to, I love the screwback.....however, I have a 25th Anniversary 5600J that is excellent. It's a bit beefier than the typical 5600 square. It all comes down to individual taste, what works for one does not necessarily work for another. Variety is the spice of life.
    Apple Watch Space Black Series 5 w/ LTE
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600C Speed
    Casio G-Shock GPR-B1000 Rangeman
    Casio G-Shock GW-B5600BC-1BJF
    Casio G-Shock GWF-1000-1DR Frogman
    Casio G-Shock GW-7900B-1 Rescue
    Citizen ATO810-55X
    Omega Speedmaster Co Axial Moon Watch 311.33.44.51.01.002
    Rolex Explorer II 216570 Black Dial

    Seiko SKA625
    Seiko Velatura SNAA93
    Seiko V701


    Check out my video reviews at:
    www.youtube.com/dougfnj
    Twitter: @DougFNJ



  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4

    Re: new g shock ,not that impressed

    Quote Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
    I definitely feel they don't make em like they used to, I love the screwback.....however, I have a 25th Anniversary 5600J that is excellent. It's a bit beefier than the typical 5600 square. It all comes down to individual taste, what works for one does not necessarily work for another. Variety is the spice of life.
    Very true Doug however ive compared the two carefuly and IMO the C is without doubt superior in these respects , its a screwback ,the push buttons are of a far better design, the alarm is far louder,longer ,the countdown function is better being 24 hrs, and the stopwatch function is better in so much as all operations ie stop start /reset are controlled by the two right hand push buttons instead of the reset being on the left, the only pratical feature in which id say the new watch scores is the backlight , for someone like myself who uses the G as it was intended as opposed to collecting them the C is despite being twenty five years older a better watch in every practical sense, the advantages of solar power and atomic syncing do not IMO negate the other shortcomings, finally the C is made in japan which to someone of my age still equates to quality in a way made in thailand/korea /china does not
    Last edited by knup; July 8th, 2010 at 09:40.

  9. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brokeback Mountain, The Balkans, N. Korea, NY, The Middle East.....all the nice places on earth
    Posts
    1,303

    Re: new g shock ,not that impressed

    Quote Originally Posted by knup View Post
    Very true Doug however ive compared the two carefuly and IMO the C is without doubt superior in these respects , its a screwback ,the push buttons are of a far better design, the alarm is far louder,longer ,the countdown function is better being 24 hrs, and the stopwatch function is better in so much as all operations ie stop start /reset are controlled by the two right hand push buttons instead of the reset being on the left, the only pratical feature in which id say the new watch scores is the backlight , for someone like myself who uses the G as it was intended as opposed to collecting them the C is despite being twenty five years older a better watch in every practical sense, the advantages of solar power and atomic syncing do not IMO negate the other shortcomings, finally the C is made in japan which to someone of my age still equates to quality in a way made in thailand/korea /china does not
    knup,

    Excellent analogy. I kind of feel the same way about the GW5600 and about some of the other G-Shocks that are made today. Casio transitioned to manufacturing G-Shocks with plastic resin cases. They probably did this to save money on manufacturing costs. I don't believe that they transitioned to the plastic resin cases because they are stronger than the stainless steel screw back. I doubt that very much.

    As for the push buttons being shoddy, what do you mean by this? I don't really see any difference in the way that the push buttons look or work when compared to the older DW5600C screw back.

    Overall, I still like the modern G-Shock watches because they are far superior than a lot of other watches that are on the market.

  10. #9
    Member DimitrisRHO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Rhodes, Greece
    Posts
    399

    Re: new g shock ,not that impressed

    if resin is just a bit less strong than steel but a lot cheaper and lighter why not to use it?
    and resin has far better elasticity and even plasticity, while steel not.
    So probably a strong hit might crack steel while would just deform resin

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •