New to G Shocks
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DeepSea85

Thread: New to G Shocks

New to G Shocks

I'm in the market for my first G shock guys, I want to get a Mudman. I've heard there are a lot of fakes out there so I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction on where to buy from. I'm looking at some on Amazon for $120-$130 but I don't know much about the g shocks and how to tell if they're fake or not. Thanks in advance!

Re: New to G Shocks

If they are on Amazon, you should be good. EBay has a lot of good sellers as well. And don't forget about our sales forum at the bottom of the main page. The quickest way to search for a Mudman would be with WatchRecon. There are lots of models of the Mudman, which one are you looking at?

casio mudman - WatchRecon
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

I think they are models g9300-1 and g9000-1v. The tough solar one with the compass and the battery powered one with the four red buttons lol I'm sorry it's just that Casios way of using so many letter/number combos is confusing.

Anyway, I like both and the 1v is selling for $66 USD on Amazon which is a much more attractive price point although I'm not sure about the red color buttons, but it also doesn't have the cool factor of a solar powered unit. I've never seen either in person so size is also a concern as I have smallish wrists at around 6 1/2-6 3/4 inch and other than my 45mm Luminox my Orient comes in at 42 or 43mm which fit me just fine. What do you suggest? Are there smaller versions of a Mudman or could I pull off the big size?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I bought a few off Amazon and they were fine!
    If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one. ~Cavett Robert

There have been fake and/or "homage" G-Shocks on Amazon in the past: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/ran...o-1244370.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/fak...on-594415.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/fak...on-595873.html

The good news is that there aren't THAT many models being copied in the first place, and the copies are relatively easy to spot! The best thing to do is compare pictures of watches you're thinking of buying against pictures of the actual watch, whether it's the "official" pictures from Casio's website or across the internet. Fakes often stand out because of small details, like words on bezels being moved to the wrong places.

Solar and solar/atomic models aren't faked as often as some other models, and they're even easier to spot.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepSea85 View Post
    I think they are models g9300-1 and g9000-1v. The tough solar one with the compass and the battery powered one with the four red buttons lol I'm sorry it's just that Casios way of using so many letter/number combos is confusing.

Anyway, I like both and the 1v is selling for $66 USD on Amazon which is a much more attractive price point although I'm not sure about the red color buttons, but it also doesn't have the cool factor of a solar powered unit. I've never seen either in person so size is also a concern as I have smallish wrists at around 6 1/2-6 3/4 inch and other than my 45mm Luminox my Orient comes in at 42 or 43mm which fit me just fine. What do you suggest? Are there smaller versions of a Mudman or could I pull off the big size?
    The G and GW-9000 and -9010 Mudman IS the small one, and it "wears" smaller than most G-Shocks. The -9300 is slightly larger, but with all G-Shocks, the measurements are slightly suspect. While most other watch companies measure the "lug to lug" dimensions or the "springbar to springbar" measurements, Casio apparently measures across the largest parts of the entire case, including the bezel -- which gets even more complicated when their strap attachment systems are complicated! Most G-Shocks aren't designed to be laid flat on a table, and the straps (and sometimes cases) are designed to wrap around the wearer's wrist. Here's an extreme example of an older Pathfinder, where the measurements make it look like you'd be strapping a hockey puck to your wrist:

Name:  paw-1100 s.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  247.2 KB

Here are two threads about "Mudmen and small wrists" with some pictures: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/mud...st-160064.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/wha...st-531454.html

the 9000 muddy is a good place to start and if youre concern with size, is more than friendly for a smaller wrist. you wont even noticed the red buttons after a couple days.

fakes are actually getting harder to come buy on places like amazon and ebay. if you see them theyre usually from a private seller and as mentioned, pretty easy to spot

im a fan of the 9300 as well, a little taller but still completely wearable.

if youre still nervous about buying a genuine one, just post a link to the pic (if they arent using a stock image) and youll have an answer in no time (:
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

Hey guys a little update here. I got the Mudman in the mail and after learning how to set the time, home time zone etc I wore it for a couple days. It wasn't as big as the pics made it look and was pretty happy with it. After two days my wrist was rubbed raw by the nubs on the back, and at the same time I discovered the dw6900-1v. So I mailed the Mudman back and promptly ordered the more asthetically pleasing classic 6900 for $43. Problem is every place I look has different measurements. Some say 45mm, some say 50-53mm. I guess when it gets here Tuesday I'll know how it fits.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepSea85 View Post
    Hey guys a little update here. I got the Mudman in the mail and after learning how to set the time, home time zone etc I wore it for a couple days. It wasn't as big as the pics made it look and was pretty happy with it. After two days my wrist was rubbed raw by the nubs on the back, and at the same time I discovered the dw6900-1v. So I mailed the Mudman back and promptly ordered the more asthetically pleasing classic 6900 for $43. Problem is every place I look has different measurements. Some say 45mm, some say 50-53mm. I guess when it gets here Tuesday I'll know how it fits.
    haha, after a week 2 things happen with the mudman, the nubs on the back start to smooth and your arm starts to build up a callus :p after a couple weeks you dont even notice them
    the 6900 is a little taller but wears similar to the mudman. buttons are easier to push too
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

Thanks for the reply soulbridge. I guess I could've waited longer to return it, but turns out I like the 6900's looks better anyway. Before looking at the 6600 I never knew there were rare or sought after models of G Shocks I just wanted one a little less "sporty" than my Mudman looked
    soulbridgemedia likes this.

Thread Information