New to G-Shocks, band help!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike K
  • 1 Post By Mike K

Thread: New to G-Shocks, band help!

New to G-Shocks, band help!

So, i purchased my first G-Shock over the weekend. I went with the GA-100. The previous watch i had was just a Walmart Casio that ran me about $20. It still works just fine but i was ready to upgrade. Anyways i decided to go with the G-Shock for the durability. I love the watch but really like the comfort of the fabric bands. I had a kavu band on my old watch and put that one on the new G-Shock but it just doesn't look right as the face on the G-Shock is much larger then my old watch. I ordered the G-Shock replacement velcro nylon band off amazon and was wondering if it would fit my new G-Shock. I will link the band from amazon. Thanks in advance.

-Meaux

Original Casio G-shock Glide Green Velcro Nylon Replacement Watch Band 23-24mm Dw 003 Casio G-shock Glide Green Velcro Nylon Replacement Watchband 23mm Dw 003 or Any Dw Gshock Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

Re: New to G-Shocks, band help!

Welcome to WUS!

You need to read this thread first: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/ga1...te-441874.html

As that thread will explain, Glide straps are meant to fit special adapters that came standard on G-Shock Glide models -- and which CAN be purchased and installed on other G-Shock models.

There are several threads around here about those Casio adapters and two new similar versions, and there are multiple places to purchase the original adapters. I'll see if I can't dig up a couple of those other threads here....

One other big thread about "normal" Casio-brand adapters -- note that there are MANY other links in this one! https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/nee...rs-679279.html

Three other threads about custom, non-Casio, METAL adapters: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/sup...rs-954103.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/old...ml#post7102134

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/sha...em-974579.html

Please note that while these aftermarket adapters look great on paper, real-world data isn't looking so great right now, although we have a very small "sample size." Of the three people who have purchased these, none have liked them enough to keep them on their watches. On the other hand, nobody has tried them on a GA-100 either, so...your mileage MIGHT vary.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the quick reply Mike! I will read up on the threads you linked and do my homework on the bands. Thanks for the help. I may be back for more questions.

Glad to be able to help out, and ask as many questions as you need to!

One of the many great things about G-Shocks is the ability for us to customize them to our preferences -- basic resin straps, factory nylon straps, aftermarket nylon or leather straps, link bracelets instead of straps -- and that's not even getting into the possible color combinations!

Even though all G-Shock watches won't fit on all strap combinations, there are more easy-to-assemble possibilities than Casio has put on the market so far.
    nigelw likes this.

Okay Mike, i'm back with a few more questions after i read over a few of the post you guided me to. So, it looks like the best way to get the adapters that i will need is to call Casio and ask for them directly. Do you know of any sites that may sell the adapters off hand? Also, like i said this is my first G-Shock and so far i really enjoy it. I work in the Industrial Construction business so there are times that i am out in the field and need a rugged watch that can take some wear and tear, but then there are days/weeks when i will be in the office and need a nice office watch. Instead of buying two separate watches i felt like the g-shock could be used for both. I would like to put the band i showed earlier in the posts to wear in the field and buy a nice black metal band to wear in the office. Can you direct me to a place to find a black metal band that will fit with the adapter i need? Again, sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help.

-Meaux

Name:  gshock.jpg
Views: 1811
Size:  5.1 KB

Thinking about something a long these lines for the office use.

This is the G-Shock i got. GA-100
    Name:  gshock1.jpg
Views: 1868
Size:  13.5 KB

-Meaux
    Last edited by Meaux; February 2nd, 2014 at 06:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Meaux View Post
    So, it looks like the best way to get the adapters that i will need is to call Casio and ask for them directly. Do you know of any sites that may sell the adapters off hand?
    As you said, Casio USA should (theoretically) be able to help you -- the same adapters are also available through Consumer Electronic Parts and Accessories at PacParts, Inc. , CountyComm - Adapters For Casio G-Shock Watches , http://www.broadarrow.net/maratac.htm and on eBay through (oddly) only one seller that I can find tonight: Casio G Shock Strap Adapters Black PVD 3 Ring Zulu DW5600 Frogman DW6900 Gshock | eBay

Quote Originally Posted by Meaux View Post
    Instead of buying two separate watches i felt like the g-shock could be used for both. I would like to put the band i showed earlier in the posts to wear in the field and buy a nice black metal band to wear in the office. Can you direct me to a place to find a black metal band that will fit with the adapter i need? Again, sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help.
    As you'll probably see from the sites that I linked -- or else this picture: http://www.broadarrow.net/casio2.jpg -- Casio's adapters are designed so that Casio's own one piece nylon-and-velcro straps would slide THROUGH the adapters, as opposed to attaching to the adapters. Happily for the rest of us, that also means that one piece Zulu-type straps also slide through the same slots in the adapter.

Another nice feature is that once the adapters are installed, it's a ten second job to remove one nylon strap and put in another, which means you can have a black nylon band for work, for instance, and a brightly colored one for weekends, or a striped one when you want to imitate Sean Connery or Daniel Craig. Welcome To RolexMagazine.com...Home Of Jake's Rolex World Magazine..Optimized for iPad and iPhone: The Real James Bond Watchstrap Comes To Life

All of the metal bracelets I'm familiar with are designed to attach to the watch's lugs via the usual springbar route, not slide in behind them, which means that every time you wanted to swap bands and bracelets you'd have to mess with a springbar tool, remove the adapters and install a bracelet or vice versa.

If you really wanted to go with a bracelet all the time, Casio makes one specifically FOR their standard 16mm lugs (same size as the adapters) and it's standard equipment on the GW-6900BC and the GW-M5600/5610BC: PacParts: 91087954994
    soulbridgemedia likes this.

I believe I had got this same band off of the bay and I put it on a GD100-1B using strap adapters from a GLS5600L-1. I imagine you could also use strap adapters that came off of watches like a DW003 if you did not want to buy new ones.

Here's how it comes out and it may give you an idea of how the GA will Mate up. My wrist is ~6.5" and gave this GD a 2nd chance at life with me.

Name:  GD100Flat.jpg
Views: 1978
Size:  75.2 KBName:  gd100SidCLose.jpg
Views: 2102
Size:  141.6 KBName:  GD100BackClose.jpg
Views: 1932
Size:  128.9 KB
    Name:  Gd100Strap.jpg
Views: 1862
Size:  136.0 KBName:  GD100StackHeight.jpg
Views: 2146
Size:  106.5 KBName:  GD100Wristy.jpg
Views: 1821
Size:  112.7 KB
    Last edited by Taichoukeroro; February 11th, 2014 at 23:11.

Thats awesome watch and strap, i just got recived a pair of strap adapters and did the same conversion to my gd 100 , now look bigger and stronger just like me . I put the original gd100 band on my dw 9052 and looks bigger to. I always like velcro watch bands there are more confortable and secure than the resin bands. My grenn olive g 7900 got one too

Thread Information