New to G-Shocks, and lost

Thread: New to G-Shocks, and lost

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New to G-Shocks, and lost

Have been browsing this fora, but as a complete newby to G-Shocks, I cant get my head around the different models and ranges.

The G-shock website has helped a little, but I'm still a bit lost.

Can someone explain to me, in a nutshell, the basic different models to give me a starting point!

I like the idea of a watch with 2 time zones and also with atomic clock link, if possible, but would like to have a better overall understanding of the different ranges.

Thanks.

Re: New to G-Shocks, and lost

Very broad overview in no order :

- 'Master of G' series - presently mudman, riseman, gulfman, frogman. These are considered (by casio) to have a dedicated form & function set (mudman - sealed unit, mud resistant - for extreme outdoor sport/activity; riseman - twin sensor altimeter & barometer - for climbing/hiking; gulfman - titanium construction, some models have a tide graph - for water sport ; Frogman - ISO Diver certified, different models have different features useful for scuba).

There are many different colour morphs of each watch and some variety on function as well. Too many to list ! Most people (rightly) don't get too hung up on the 'xxxman' designatation - they're all good sport/activity watches.

'Classics' - like the 5600/5500/5000 - these are those square ones that look like pretty classic japanese digitals. Or the 6900 series - another design classic form factor. Lots of different colours, lots of different modules again.

The MT-G - which stands for Metal Twisted G - line - all metal construction.

Giez - quite a high-end luxury line - analogue or ana-dig.

The MR-G line - G-Shock prestige line - as close to dressy as they care to get.

Those are some recognised 'lines' so to speak. There are literally dozens of other models and modules though. And lots of vintage or discontinued out there too. And new ones come out all the time - just now lot of people are flipping out over the 7900 series, the new AW-1000...the new 3000 analogues...its all fairly eh consumerist but in a good way :D

Best way to choose a G imo is either -

- see one you like the look of and just go for it or post up here before pulling the trigger with any query.

- or if you have specific preference post here with your needs and your preference for e.g. digital v analogue v ana-digi, solar v normal power, colour, duration of stopwatch (if important), duration of countdown timer (if important), any other desires :D

You can always check out a specific module's function set on the casio website - generally available as a pdf.

To addres your specific query - if you want atomic, you will be buying a solar G, just so you know. When you say 'with 2 time zones' do you mean ability to display 2 at once presumably ? Any preference for analogue v digital/ana-digi or colour ?

NB Any minute now someone will be along to jump on me for not specifically mentioning the 7800 series or something - I didn't because I...eh....mehI'mnotexplainingmyselfIhadnotenoughti me LOL

Anyway...I'm no expert :D but there are lots here - welcome to G Shock forum - its pretty friendly but you're gonna end with about 10 G Shocks if you hang out here too much.

The wiki section of mygshock.com is also an excellent reference.
    LINK

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The other members have been pretty good introductions to the G-Shock family...I just wanted to welcome you to the forum!

Here is a basic description:
    http://www.gshock.com/products/comparison/1

For sizes of cases I just use amazon

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

ach5,

the best thing you can do is make a VERY detailed list of the functions/size/shape that you are looking for and post it here. with this data, we will likely find you the G that suits your needs best.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

Waw - what a friendly and helpful response - thanks so much guys!

I will have a look at the the various links etc, and then will get back to you with my "wish list".

Thanks again for your time!

Adrian.

You could just do what I did, I was into blades and quality flashlights and then I wondered, what the heck is all this talk about G-shocks on the forums. I wanted to find out, but didn't want a headache from studying the dizzying array of models out there, so I slowly started buying ones used off the forums that I thought were visually appealing to me and priced right. Now I have ten of these darn things and love 'em all, especially the metal bracelet ones like the G-7000D or the analog ones like my AW-591RL. I'm not into the retro square faced ones or the Master of G ones, but there are so darn many other models out there, you can collect pretty much endlessly if you want.

I'd start with a few of the basic G functions.

Most G's have:

• stopwatch
    • multiple alarms (some have a snooze, but I've never used it before)
    • countdown timer (some have 1 hr limit, others have 24 hr)
    • almost all, except some older models have an EL backlight. So, turn your wrist and the light, lights up!
    • most models have solar, and atomic models, but they'll cost more initially
    • color? depends on your style
    • extra functions - too many to name, but a few are tide-graph, thermometer
    • oh, this one might slip by you...in the alarm mode, does the display show the current time?

Start with those, and then I'd say, post what you want in a watch and see what people come up with. then again, most of my watches I buy cuz they look cool!

Neil

Try Atomic 6900 with Solar :
    Black GW-6900-1, White GW-6900A-7 and Yellow GW-6900A-9

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information