new gw 2500 v. the 2000

Thread: new gw 2500 v. the 2000

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

new gw 2500 v. the 2000

I like both can anyone compare them?

Re: new gw 2500 v. the 2000

Hi,
    I had the GW-2000 and sold it because it reacted very slowly when making adjustments. And it only has one alarm. Now I have the GW-2500B and like it much more - especially because of the standard 4 alarms plus snooze. However the GW-2500 only has a 60min timer but with auto repeat for up to 8 times so I can live with that. A nice thing about the GW-2000 was the 'quick return' feature - when you held down 'mode' for 2 sec the watch returned to time-keeping-mode from every other mode. I still think the GW-2000 is one of the best all-analogue Gs but the GW-2500 is better for everyday use in my eyes.

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Miami, Florida - United States of America

Quote Originally Posted by jbaca View Post
    I like both can anyone compare them?
    Hello jbaca,

I am a recent owner of the GW2000 and like it very much. I was in the same spot as you since both are very similar and the GW2500 was available in the USA while the GW2000 was not. I chose the GW2000 because it is all analog, has a 24 HR chrono and timer, great LUME, seconds hand and a 6 Band atomic clock radio receiver. What Sedi said is correct, since it is all analog you will have to wait for the hands to move to do a particular function but that is what I love about it but I can understand that some people may become impatient and need immediate results. Eitherway, I was able to purchase mine from Tiktox since the GW2000 was pulled away quickly from the USA market. Either one should suit you nice for your needs.
    --
    "Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value."

- Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I had both, and sold both.

Now I wished I would have kept the GW-2000.

I could replace it now, but it would be at full price, I got 35% off the first one,

Casio has me so addicted to discounts, that I cannot bring myself to pay full pop.

Cheers...

Hi,
    best thing to do before deciding anything is to check out the manuals:
    GW-2000:
    http://ftp.casio.co.jp/pub/world_man.../en/qw5060.pdf
    GW-2500:
    http://ftp.casio.co.jp/pub/world_man.../en/qw5064.pdf

btw: the GW-2500 has a 24hr chrono and great lume too (also a LED-illuminator which comes in handy when the lume isn't charged enough to read the time all night).
    In the end - they are both great watches and you can't go wrong with either one. Just look at the manual to find out which suits your needs best. And also keep in mind that a ana-digi is always a compromise. Some people hate it for example when the hands cover the digital displays so you have to tilt the watch slightly to read the display. I haven't found this to be much of a problem. What I like best about the GW-2500 is the combination between the better functionality of a digital watch and the intuitive readout that the analogue hands give you - I feel like having a much better sense of time when using an analogue watch.

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

The lack of a second hand would drive me nuts on the 2500. I got the 2000 for just that reason also that it was a large hand. Dumped all my Giez models as I didn't like the seconds in the sub-dial. Part of what I like about analog is you can see the "natural" flow of time and a second hand is the most visible aspect of that.

The 24hr CDT and crono are big pluses. The only minus I can think of is that there is only one alarm and that it's a little on the small side for me (I figure the 2500 is the same size).
    -Nate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    -Albert Einstein

I own the GW2000. Luckily I bought it before Casio pulled it from the US.

For me...I was in the same boat as you when I was trying to decide between both of them. Ultimately for me it was the fact that the 2000 was all analog. I personally don't have a preference over analog vs anadig vs digi. I like them all and tend to look for new pieces that are different from what's in my collection.

My choice, had to do more with the looks than any functionality. When I look at the 2000's face...its just awesome. The all analog face, completely reminds me of an instrument panel...that was the deciding factor...what it made me feel vs the actual functions it had.

I don't regret the purchase at all. Although, like most, I wish it had a larger case, but I'm really happy with it.

The slow movement of the dials resetting between each mode isn't that much of an issue, at least for me. Personally, I really appreciate the fact that Casio was able to pack so many of their normal functions found in their digital watches into an all analog...and on top of all that make the second hand do double duty as a real second hand and a function indicator hand. I own a few seikos and even those analog watches can't boast the functionality of the 2000....so the dials resetting, small price to pay to have soo much functionality in an all analog watch. I'm really hoping Casio brings their 5 motor tech to the Giez line.

Yes it only has one alarm, but personally I only ever use one at any given time so its not an issue for me.

The only real negative comment I can say about it that should be a factor in your decision is that the 24HR dial on the right side is used to set the countdown timer and alarm as well as display world time...and the dial is so small..it is very difficult to read at a glance. It's not impossible to read, but very inconvenient as you really have to put the watch close to your face to see where each hand is pointing to...and I have 20/20 vision.

To make sure I've set the alarm accurately, what I've been doing is making sure to reset the alarm to 12am....then I will push and hold the forward advancing adjustment button and have the dial progress forward as I count off the hours, then stop it when the minute hits 12 mark at the hour I want to set the alarm at, then individually count off the minutes with each button press to ensure i've set the alarm at the proper time.

Is it a hassle?...probably sounds like a hassle. But I think the person wearing the watch has to decide. Its not a big issue for me...I like the fact that each watch in my collection has its own distinct "personality". And the GW 2000 has loads of it.

Picture Re: new gw 2500 v. the 2000

I have had the 2500 for a couple of weeks now, and I really like it. I wish that the digital displays had a back light, but at least the face is well illuminated. I also agree that a 24 countdown would be nice too, but I can get by with the 60 minute cdt.

I am going to take the watch on my next international trip to put it through the paces.

I like the model I have because it has a stealthy quality to it. The analog hands get in the way a bit but not too bad.
    "Some people work for a living, me, I'd rather fly!"

Wait, Sedi says the 2500 has an LED yet TimeOnTarget says it doesn't, which is it?

I guess I answered my own question by looking more closely. It has a light button so I figure that lights up the digital parts. TimeOnTarget must be taking about something else when he says it doesn't have a light. Or wait, now I think I finally got it. The light is one of those that lights up the face of the watch not the digital sections? I'm not sure which I prefer. I think having them both would be the best.
    Last edited by natornate; November 11th, 2009 at 21:47.
    -Nate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by natornate View Post
    ...I think having them both would be the best.

+1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information