New MRG models ... well sort of ...

Thread: New MRG models ... well sort of ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rolling eyes New MRG models ... well sort of ...

Hey G-felllas:

Not sure if anyone noticed, but it looks like Casio released two "new" MRGs (7700 and 7600, both 1BJF!). See here for the line-up:

LINE UP - MR-G - ???? - G-SHOCK - CASIO

The change on the 7700 is obvious (gold to silver indices -- which looks better IMHO), but who can spot the differences on the 7600D-1BJF compared to the old 1AJF version?

Seems like Casio is no longer really interested in the MRG line (not sure how to phrase it differently, taking into account this modest "evolution" after about 3 years -- still no successor of the 8100 ).

JH

Name:  MRG-7700B-1BJF.png
Views: 1231
Size:  127.6 KBName:  MRG-7600D-1BJF.png
Views: 1212
Size:  152.2 KB

http://cd82093141.casio.jp/wat/produ...7600D-1BJF.png

http://cd82093141.casio.jp/wat/produ...7700B-1BJF.png
    Last edited by John_Harrison; December 15th, 2013 at 12:48.

Re: New MRG models ... well sort of ...

I think the biggest problem with the MRG line is that they often fail to be interesting. Yes, they are incredibly well made and very good watches, but they are also priced very high (retail) and they have too much competition from other companies. Yes, Casio charges a lot for other watches like the GWF-1000 frogman, but there is nothing else on the market that looks like a Frogman. Ultimately, that is why they have become collectible. MRGs, on the other hand, tend to lose value. Casio can save MRG, but make them all digital again for a change, and give us an interesting design that doesn't look like anything else out there. And of course, make it top notch quality.

John/ Is this 7600D [the new one] fully DLC hardened? If so, I am tempted. [Got an 8100B earlier this year, and am impressed with fit and finish...]
    /Forrest

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Casio you gotta be kidding us, thats for sure. I can accept one LED at six on my cheapo GA-100, but on a - supposed to be - premium line this is totally silly and simply a - want to be - for me. I wonder if those guys ever learn.....

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

They should have added the second hand, backlight for the LED, and neon illumination light. Then I'd be interested.
    Last edited by GShockMe; December 15th, 2013 at 19:02.

Quote Originally Posted by frhoads View Post
    John/ Is this 7600D [the new one] fully DLC hardened? If so, I am tempted. [Got an 8100B earlier this year, and am impressed with fit and finish...]
    As far as I can decrypt from the product page, it is the same as on the old 7600D, i.e. only the darker portions are full DLC. In other words, no progress here either .

As far as I know the DLC process on the 8100B is also a little bit different compared to the one applied to the 7700, supposedly the DLC on 8100B is harder/better -- which is funny because my 8100B has more scratches than my 7500, but this probably due to their different usage profile.

JH

It seems the new one is a double deep DLC, but still only on the bezel which is a bummer. The dial also looks a bit darker. I wouldn't mind an 8100B sized MRG with an electric crown so I can have a chrono that counts with the center hands.

Major let down!

MRG are now running on 5 year old technology. They used to be the very latest of Casio tech but now they do not have some of the latest such as electronic crown, a-gel, and upgraded light/lume system nor main functions operated with the big dial such as is the case on the newest Aviators. They are still the greatest as far as build quality is concerned and they have the DLC coating going for them. But the price level indicates premium level in all aspects. And by now they are a bit dated.

The impression one gets from the lack of attention to this series from Casio is that it might get discontinued. Perhaps Aviators and MTG will be the new main focus as far as premium analogue G's are concerned.

I would love to see an all digital MRG. That I think would be awesome!
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142

I'm waiting for an MRG with an electronic crown, for sure. Something like a DLC-hardened titanium MTG, or an Oceanus on steroids.

Quote Originally Posted by frhoads View Post
    If you have an 8100, I suspect you will find the 7700 to be lacking. My upper end MRG progression went as follows:

7100 - 8100 - 7700 - 8000.

I flipped the 7700 immediately, it felt cheap and unsubstantial compared to the 8100. The 8000 was nice, but not as nice as the 8100 and too similar to the 8100 to justify keeping. The 7100 was my first "expensive" G-Shock and also made the cut due to the amber back light.

The 8100 in my view is clearly the nicest watch Casio has ever produced and by a significant margin. If you start with it and then expand to others in the MRG line you risk being disappointed.

Put some Tritium tubes on the 8100 and it would be perfect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information