NEW MTG-G1000D-1AJF -- more pics, and some thoughts...
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: NEW MTG-G1000D-1AJF -- more pics, and some thoughts...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thumbs Up NEW MTG-G1000D-1AJF -- more pics, and some thoughts...

Hey guys - I had promised you some more photos and thoughts on the MTG-G1000D-1AJF, so here it is. Rather than just a bunch of random comments as I might normally do, thought I'd break it down into various specific topics this time.

Looks -- To me it is a fantastic looking watch. It has a huge amount of wrist presence. It's a little flashy without being too blingy. Definitely has more of an upscale look for a g-shock. (as you might expect, from the price!) Also, I have to say that I'm very pleased I chose the simple black/silver color scheme. At first I was leaning toward the one with blue highlights. But then, I decided that sometimes, on a watch like this, less is more. You can NEVER go wrong with a subdued black dial (by 'subdued' I mean no other colors on the dial) on a watch of this type. I'm very glad I made this choice! It is very classy looking. I am also pleased that it has a black date wheel with white numerals.

Fit/Finish/Quality -- Excellent. Casio has done the Zaratsu polishing on the edges of the bracelet links, and the bottom part of the center links, and in strategic places on the case. Looks very good in combo with the rest of the watch. And for those who care, the second hand DOES hit all of the markers all the way around the dial. (but should be noted, there is not an equal number of second hand tick marks between all hour markers; in some places there are 4, in others, 3) Also, re. the smart crown -- is is rather 'tight', very well protected by the crown guard, and I am convinced it will never come undone by itself. (yes, it is still the 'indent' type smart crown and not a screw-down crown)

Comfort -- Excellent. Some might say it's too heavy -- but only if you never wear any watch other than featherweight Gs on resin. If you have and wear other SS bracelet watches, this one won't seem heavy at all.

Size -- this is really a personal thing; but to me, the size is just right. Big enough to easily read subdials; big enough to have great wrist presence without looking crazy large; and yet small enough (I think - have not checked this) to fit under shirt sleeves as long as you don't keep your cuffs real tight. (* Note: my wrist is 7.25 inches; the lugs do not extend beyond my wrist. Also, I have a preference for larger watches, but if you don't, this one may be a little too large.)

Functions -- Excellent. MTG with not only multi-band 6 and GPS, but also 24 hr stopwatch and Countdown timer, plus world time, date and day of the week, and alarms; AND, an LED light, PLUS quick swapping of home/world time!! Other than ABC functions, this one has all the functions I would use on a daily basis.

Price -- $$$$$. 'Nuff said. Well, not really. Yes, it's expensive. But a watch like this has made me realize that I don't need to have such a huge collection of Gs. Since I now have a bunch of ABC Gs, I am planning to sell most of my Protreks. (and some other Gs as well) Selling some others will basically end up covering the cost of this one for me, and also means I will wear this one more. And considering everything you get with this G1000, to me it is a decent value. Far less expensive than the highest end MR-G, but yet equivalent in functions and "mostly" all metal.

Comparison to MTG-S1000BD-1A:
    -- dial layout -- the subdials provide essentially the same information on both; yet are in different positions on the dial. Also, the MTG-S1000 world time subdial has numbers the whole way around; on the G1000, just tick marks except for the 12 and the 6. On the G1000, the days of the week are somewhat easier to read, given that it has black text on a silver background.
    -- world time sub-dial --- on both, they have the 12 hr world time sub-dial, and the small am/pm indicator. I much prefer this over the little 24 hr sub-dial on the GPWs. It is much quicker and easier to determine the exact world time on the MTGs, IMO, than on the GPWs.
    -- size -- while the G1000 is slightly larger than the S1000, if you handle them side-by-side, the difference is very hard to notice. Essentially they appear to be about the same size. (and are, in fact, very close to each other)
    -- GPS -- of course, this is the advantage of the G1000. And it also has the home/world time fast swapping feature that the S1000 does not have.
    -- buttons are round on the S1000 but rectangular on the G1000. Metal on both.
    -- lug attachment system is the same on both the S1000 and G1000.
    -- G1000 has hexagonal type screws on top and underside of case, vice regular screws that the S1000 has.

Drawbacks:
    -- the only one I can think of is that the small 24 hr sub-dial is kinda useless. To me, Casio should enable that sub-dial to be set to yet another time zone, so that you could view 3 time zones at once on this watch.

Advantages:
    -- love the addition of the LED light to this new MTG!! (and btw, the lume on the hour markers/hands appears to be very similar to that on the S1000. On this G1000 the lume appears to be blue-ish in color) Also love the GPS, and the addition of the 24 hr stopwatch that even the GPW does not have.
    -- with its GPS feature and the fast home/world time swap feature, this may just be the ultimate traveler's watch!!

*** Miscell. comment: I don't think mine has synced via multi-band 6 signal since I got it. This is a little strange, as my GPWs sync via multi-band 6 virtually every night. Possibly, the GPWs have a larger antenna for the multi-band 6 signal, making for easier reception??? Don't know. (come to think of it, these MTGs sync better with the dial facing straight up at night, which I have not done yet. I'll try that tonite!)

Recommendation: if you are on the fence about this one but think you would like it, try one!! If size is a possible issue, suggest you try one on first before purchasing. But if you already own the S1000 MTG and are worried about the size of this one, don't be. You probably will not even notice any difference. If price is an issue, do what I'll be doing and sell some other Gs (or a kidney) to defray the cost! You will thank yourself later!

Last edited by Time4Playnow; September 27th, 2015 at 02:01.

Re: NEW MTG-G1000D-1AJF -- more pics, and some thoughts...

Great review. Thanks for taking the time.

Mitch
    Time4Playnow likes this.

A visit at the G Shock store in Paris.... Quick pics.

Last edited by Nemo; September 26th, 2015 at 23:31.
    Currently wearing "Moby" my Gulfmaster Quad Sensor GWN-Q1000-7AER

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like it, a nicely updated version of the S1000.

I do however like the round push buttons and the crown from the older S1000. It adds a bit more style to it, IMO.

Also, purely from the cosmetics point of view, I find it strange they changed slotted bezel screws to hex screws but left the slotted ones on the lugs. It's almost like they forgot to mention the change to the strap design team

Wear it in good health!
    Time4Playnow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    A visit at the G Shock store in Paris.... Quick pics.

Those of you who live near a Casio G-shock store are lucky!! (or cursed, maybe...) I don't, but would LOVE to be able to go into the store and try on all the new models. That might be even tougher on the 'ole credit card though!
    Nemo, Mrcrooka1 and yy_1 like this.

the bracelet appears to now use traditional pins?
    or are there still mini springbars?

Super post Time4Playnow. Great effort and so much work. Well done Enjoy your MTG!

Sent from my iPhone 6+
    Time4Playnow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Deepsea_dweller View Post
    Super post Time4Playnow. Great effort and so much work. Well done Enjoy your MTG!

Sent from my iPhone 6+
    Thanks DSD. Not work, when you're a g-fanatic!! You can be sure I will enjoy this MTG!

Quote Originally Posted by Everdying View Post
    the bracelet appears to now use traditional pins?
    or are there still mini springbars?
    Just as with the S1000, the G1000 also uses the pin and collar system.
    Deepsea_dweller likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Time4Playnow View Post
    Just as with the S1000, the G1000 also uses the pin and collar system.
    ah ok.
    never really held one yet, but i recall there were MTGs previously with mini-springbars.
    wonder why casio stopped using them in MTGs, but still do in other models like G-Steel.
    Time4Playnow likes this.

T4PN,

Nice write up but no lume shots? **shoulder shrugs**
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information