New Pick-up and First Impressions: G-2900 "Sailman"
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Smaug

Thread: New Pick-up and First Impressions: G-2900 "Sailman"

New Pick-up and First Impressions: G-2900 "Sailman"

Some of you have seen my crappy pic in the WRUW thread. I've been taking and posting way too many crappy cell phone pix lately. (this Samsung Stellar's camera is not in the same class as my iPhone 4s was...)

Here's some decent pix, to start with:

First Impressions:

+ Just the right feature set
    + Home time is visible in alarm, World time, and timer modes
    + Graphs flash each second in the hour prior to an alarm going off
    + e-DATA mode is AWESOME. Useful in an everyday manner, unlike some of our more "keyboard commando" type features. ;) It is secure storage for any kind of simple alphanumeric thing you need. PINs, passwords, combinations to locks, website logins, etc. The user sets a 4-digit PIN to gain access.
    + Big digits for time
    + Watch is not too big and boxy
    + Buttons are easy enough to push with finger tips, yet not easy to hit accidentally. Nicely done, Casio.
    + Band is (as usual) 100% comfortable. I continue to marvel at the fact that Casio can get this right on a $70 G-Shock, and many much more expensive mechanical watches keep screwing it up. (for example, folded steel jobs on the $100 Seiko 5s; there no excuse, if Casio can succeed for less than half the cost)
    + 4 multi-function alarms
    + Countdown timer has an auto-repeat option
    + Easy to program, if you're used to Casios. The only thing I had to look up was e-DATA mode programming.
    + Available at (Super) Walmart!

- No solar/atomic (I'm OK with this, as I have two of these already)
    - No bracelet option. It's a shame, because when Casio decides to make a nice bracelet, they succeed at that too.
    - 10 YEAR BATTERY text is printed in tiny letters, right over the LCD at the bottom. What a bad judgment to put that there. Some marketing guy needs his butt whupped for that one. It's not the kind of thing I want to look at for the life of the watch. It was enough that it was on a bright green tag beneath the watch on the display stand, and boldly advertised on Casio's page for the watch. ENOUGH ALREADY.
    - No means to keep the strap keeper from moving around. It's not terrible, but they could easily enough implement something like Timex did in their "Wannabe-G-Shock Ironmen." (which I also checked one of those out. Great display and modes, but feels cheap in construction compared to Casio)
    - Sail-shaped bar graphs are a turn-off to many folks. The turbine-shaped pie graph on the upper left is nice; it gives a rough analog estimate of the hours
    Chrisek, avusblue and xevious like this.
    -Jeremy
    6-3/4" (171 mm) wrist

Re: New Pick-up and First Impressions: G-2900 "Sailman"

Great write-up. I agree with your +'s and -'s except I like the Sail-shaped graphs :)

I think it's a fun and inexpensive G-Shock :)

Congrats! It's a great model - I got the one with the velcro strap. It's also the last G advertised as a 10yr battery model. The programmable alarms are nice. Btw - the G-7600 has the same module just without the 10yr batt.

Cheers, Sedi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

LUW

Congrats!
    Currently it's my favorite "house watch" - very comfortable to wear and not fussy.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    Congrats! It's a great model - I got the one with the velcro strap. It's also the last G advertised as a 10yr battery model. The programmable alarms are nice. Btw - the G-7600 has the same module just without the 10yr batt.
    Great trivia. So maybe it'll be worth a mint some day, eh?

I looked on Casio's site and didn't find the G-7600; must be an old model, right? And when you say it is with out the 10 yr batt, do you mean the marking, or do you mean it has a smaller batt.?
    -Jeremy
    6-3/4" (171 mm) wrist

Thread Information