Newbe with a question about MTG-900

Thread: Newbe with a question about MTG-900

Newbe with a question about MTG-900

Hello All,
    I'm new to posting in these forums but I have been reading them for a while now. I have a few G's for work and play and I've just Ebay'ed a pair for my 10yr old son and I. Kind of a father/son thing. He's been bitten by the watch bug already. I got a MTG-920DA 1v and he got a MTG-900DA 9v. He likes silver and I prefer black. Anyway....my question is about his g-shock. It isn't holding a charge. The battery indicator was reading medium charge level and it died last saturday. I placed it in the sun for about 2hrs and the level went back to med. He came home from school today and told me it needed charging again because the display went blank. I placed it under a desk lamp and about 15 min and the display came back on and it read med battery level again. I read another thread about changing the rechargeable battery and it answered a few questions but the question I have is this: Does a dirty watch face effect charging? He is, after all a 10yr old boy and dirt is part of his life. The watch was covered in smudge marks around the solar receptor. I turned on the sleep function and turned off the auto-el when it died the 1st time. Has anyone had similar problems ?

Do I need to let the charge build up longer and keep the face clean, or is the battery a lost cause? Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    A man's got to know his limitations

Banned

Re: Newbe with a question about MTG-900

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
    Hello All,
    I'm new to posting in these forums but I have been reading them for a while now. I have a few G's for work and play and I've just Ebay'ed a pair for my 10yr old son and I. Kind of a father/son thing. He's been bitten by the watch bug already. I got a MTG-920DA 1v and he got a MTG-900DA 9v. He likes silver and I prefer black. Anyway....my question is about his g-shock. It isn't holding a charge. The battery indicator was reading medium charge level and it died last saturday. I placed it in the sun for about 2hrs and the level went back to med. He came home from school today and told me it needed charging again because the display went blank. I placed it under a desk lamp and about 15 min and the display came back on and it read med battery level again. I read another thread about changing the rechargeable battery and it answered a few questions but the question I have is this: Does a dirty watch face effect charging? He is, after all a 10yr old boy and dirt is part of his life. The watch was covered in smudge marks around the solar receptor. I turned on the sleep function and turned off the auto-el when it died the 1st time. Has anyone had similar problems ?

Do I need to let the charge build up longer and keep the face clean, or is the battery a lost cause? Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    I'd say put the watch in a window for about a week and that should do the trick. My 900 is at medium most of the time but has not gone below that.
    Last edited by Brian D.; February 7th, 2008 at 04:38.

I wouldn't worry too much about keeping the display clean. A bit of smudging shouldn't make any difference.

It's kind of sad for a kid's new watch not to be perfect... but don't give up yet. If the watch had been in storage for some time it might take a little time to fully charge.

Can't completely rule out the possibility that it's a dud though...
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the Forum..........I received a MTG-920da recently, it was at a medium power level.......three full days of light and all is well.........let your son's MTG-900 get loads of light, nice "G" BTW.

MTG-920DA

Brad
    Brad
    Have a great day.

Inspector 71,

It's good that you have switched off the Auto EL function, as the EL consumes lots of energy, in fact, if memory serves me correctly, each EL usage would need 5 minutes of chargin under the sun to charge back the energy...

When I got my MTG-911 (MI3 version),it has only 2 bar left, however a few days of charging under the sun, and it has reached full charge... Talking about my MTG, I completely forgot that my Mi3 is placed inside it's container! Better I take it out now before I suffer from memory lapse!

Also, it would be better to have the the solar panel area of the watch face cleaned once in a while to ensure optimum chargin.

Cheers,
    MountainMike

Hi Inspector 71 and welcome to the forum.
    The MTGs look great!
    You must be Harry Callahan, AKA "Dirty Harry"?
    Lee

Thanks everyone, The watch is sitting in a window at this very moment. I'm going to let it charge for a few days and give it another try.

After posting last night we took the pooch for a walk and when we got back, I already had 2 replys. The wife was amazed. I told her if anyone had the answer it would be someone here. She doesn't understand the whole watch "Thing" and just shakes her head and lets me be..........for now.
    A man's got to know his limitations

I'm seeing in a weather forecasting that there isn't much direct sunlight on Philadelphia. That for sure is affecting the capacity of the watch to charge quickly, and also there's the chance that it has been mostly under your son's sleeves, because of winter clothing. So please don't despair and be patient.

As Brian D. said, it will take more or less a week of natural ligth in a windowsill to get a sizeable charge.

As long as it is charging, I would recommend you to be a little careful in using the EL, Hourly Signal, or even the Alarms.

Thread Information