Newbie to G-Shocks, looking for a good-value beater under £70
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Mike K
  • 1 Post By Mike K

Thread: Newbie to G-Shocks, looking for a good-value beater under £70

Newbie to G-Shocks, looking for a good-value beater under £70

Would use it while swimming, in sauna/steam room, gardening, etc. Want to avoid dull colours like dark navy, dark greens, black, etc, looking for something like a light green, light blue, or a red watch. What would you recommend. Is it worth getting a solar powered one if I increase my budget a bit, how much is it to replace a battery in a G-Shock?

Re: Newbie to G-Shocks, looking for a good-value beater under £70

Dw9052-2v I believe the model number.

Awesome G for the money, check it out on Amazon.com!

Sent from my iPad Mini

I think that you've got some decisions to make! Luckily, Casio makes a LOT of G-Shocks....

£70 will cover a LOT of different G-Shock models, including some of the most common solar/atomic versions like the GW-6900. I'm a huge fan of the "atomic G's" that receive a nightly radio signal from the nearest atomic clock so that they're always accurate, and that feature is always paired with their solar technology. Receiving the signal from Anthorn is seldom a problem for UK members, but since the UK isn't as sunny as other parts of the world, you may have to engage in more "care and feeding" of a solar G by putting it on a bright windowsill once in a while.

"Dull colors" won't show as much dirt -- or absorb as much dirt, oil, or dye -- as lighter colors, so unless you're very careful with a light-colored G (and seldom wear long sleeves or coats) you'll probably wind up asking "how do I clean my G-Shock?" (That thread links to five OTHER threads on the subject -- it's a REALLY common question around this forum!)

I definitely recommend this great thread about https://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/sta...ck-850524.html

Lastly, as far as replacing batteries goes -- how much it costs depends a lot on which sort of G-Shock you select, what sort of battery it takes (common watch battery or one of the rechargeable ones in a solar model) and who's doing the work. Some kids at a watch kiosk at the mall do better work than at some "watch repair shops" who look down upon plastic watches like G's. There are plenty of horror stories here about people who paid someone else to work on their G-Shock and then noticed moisture inside their watch after a shower. If you can operate a screwdriver and are willing to invest in a small screwdriver and some waterproofing grease, you can probably do it yourself and know that it's been done properly!
    nigelw and W990 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    I think that you've got some decisions to make! Luckily, Casio makes a LOT of G-Shocks....

£70 will cover a LOT of different G-Shock models, including some of the most common solar/atomic versions like the GW-6900. I'm a huge fan of the "atomic G's" that receive a nightly radio signal from the nearest atomic clock so that they're always accurate, and that feature is always paired with their solar technology. Receiving the signal from Anthorn is seldom a problem for UK members, but since the UK isn't as sunny as other parts of the world, you may have to engage in more "care and feeding" of a solar G by putting it on a bright windowsill once in a while.

"Dull colors" won't show as much dirt -- or absorb as much dirt, oil, or dye -- as lighter colors, so unless you're very careful with a light-colored G (and seldom wear long sleeves or coats) you'll probably wind up asking "how do I clean my G-Shock?" (That thread links to five OTHER threads on the subject -- it's a REALLY common question around this forum!)

I definitely recommend this great thread about https://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/sta...ck-850524.html

Lastly, as far as replacing batteries goes -- how much it costs depends a lot on which sort of G-Shock you select, what sort of battery it takes (common watch battery or one of the rechargeable ones in a solar model) and who's doing the work. Some kids at a watch kiosk at the mall do better work than at some "watch repair shops" who look down upon plastic watches like G's. There are plenty of horror stories here about people who paid someone else to work on their G-Shock and then noticed moisture inside their watch after a shower. If you can operate a screwdriver and are willing to invest in a small screwdriver and some waterproofing grease, you can probably do it yourself and know that it's been done properly!

How about this one, though looks like a grey import after seeing the case? Anyone had experience with Tictactime.co.uk?

Watch Casio Gent Sports GW 7900RD 4ER

Shouldn't it come in a tin rather than the plastic case?

Quote Originally Posted by W990 View Post
    How about this one, though looks like a grey import after seeing the case? Anyone had experience with Tictactime.co.uk?

Watch Casio Gent Sports GW 7900RD 4ER

Shouldn't it come in a tin rather than the plastic case?
    There really doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to G-Shock packaging. People on this forum have repeatedly wondered about different packaging for different models, or sometimes different packaging for the same model, and there never seem to be any definite answers!

Sometimes I think "tin versus box versus other packaging" has something to do with the target market of a particular model (North America, Europe, Japan, elsewhere.)

Sometimes I wonder if there's a small conspiracy at the Casio factories. "Hey, let's mess with all the collectors and stop using boxes for this one and put them in tins this month! That will confuse them!"

Most of the time, I think they just use whatever packaging they have closest to hand for a particular day's production. "Hey, do we have any more hex tins here on the floor?" "Pretty sure we've got a couple of pallets of them in the one storeroom. We'll get them after lunch," and the rest of the morning's production goes into boxes instead.
    Sedi likes this.

Thread Information