Newbie! To a GW5600J-1 I just got new

Thread: Newbie! To a GW5600J-1 I just got new

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newbie! To a GW5600J-1 I just got new

Hi people! I pretty much wore DW-5600's E --since they came out! This is my 1st solar/radio controlled G shock I got today! A couple of questions please! I understand all the functions. I'm in Phoenix AZ. so I have no "dst" ... and I'm using DENver,CO. as my auto receive + myPS is on. Did a download on the #2924 module here. Read that pdf. file thx. to the forum! The specs. don't say what kind of rechargeablebattery it takes? If I ever need a new battery, is replacement close to the DW-5600E ?? Or is it different? When I got it in the box. The reciving indicator had 3 bars. Putting it in direct sunlight today, took away those 3 bars. is that normal? Now I only have 1 bar on the far right over the "H" ? and my time is a match to WWVB, Last question, the alarm is low in volume ! I can hear my DW from 15-20 feet away. But this one I have to have a foot from my ear?
    and the SIG in the alarm mode I see has a 00 on the watch display. If I remember thats for the hourly time tone? Or do I have to set the two 00"s under the SIG.... Greatful for any input on this GW5600J - any comments, tips, ect. thank you !!! Everyone have a Happy Holiday !! Jim

Re: Newbie! To a GW5600J-1 I just got new

Congrats on a great square, I love my gw 5600j! when the hourly signal is on you'll see a little bell icon on the right side over the seconds. your watch uses a ctl1616 rechargable cell. the 3 bars that indicate your successful sync will disappear at midnight i believe, and return once you successfully synch again.

Quote Originally Posted by jer_ View Post
    Congrats on a great square, I love my gw 5600j! when the hourly signal is on you'll see a little bell icon on the right side over the seconds. your watch uses a ctl1616 rechargable cell. the 3 bars that indicate your successful sync will disappear at midnight i believe, and return once you successfully synch again.
    thx. for the reply jer_ It worked like you said. At 5:00pm here but the Audible sound (2 tones) I could only hear if it was 12" from my ear! (My DW I can hear over 15ft. away)
    I did a manual synch on it a couple of hours ago. It does match my other devices ... thx. for the battery ID... I always change my battery on my DW-5600. Now I hope to hear from one of the forum members about the process on putting in a new CTL1616 ( if I ever need to do it?)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hopefully it'll be quite awhile until your due to change the battery in it, but heres another thread that could be helpful.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/new...ry-738630.html

and I forgot to mention, I find mine to be very quite aswell, more useful as a reminder tone than to actually wake me up.

How do you like the difference in resin between this and your 5600e? i recently was looking at some 5600e's and realized the gw5600j has much softer feeling resin.
    Jer

"I'm hip about time"

Hopefully it'll be quite awhile until your due to change the battery in it, but heres another thread that could be helpful.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/new...ry-738630.html

and I forgot to mention, I find mine to be very quite aswell, more useful as a reminder tone than to actually wake me up.

How do you like the difference in resin between this and your 5600e? i recently was looking at some 5600e's and realized the gw5600j has much softer feeling resin.
    Well they say 8 months on a full charge. so well see! I've bought 4 DW-5600E's since they came out with them and found one would last 5yrs. another 3yrs. I use the countdown timer for medication reminders 4 times a day. I have the DW set at a 4 hour countdown. I must have read the wrong page, because the GW is a 60min. countdown! As an old friend on this forum once said who needed a DW for the same reason (meds): "Why can't Casio make them all with a 24hr. countdown?" But I'll deal with it... As for sound, if I put my hand on my knee with the watch on. I can't hear the GW. (the DW yes) Don't need it to wake me up! Just a med reminder. (when your over 60yrs. -- it happens)
    Thanks for the video link, will check it out!
    The resin between the GW and the DW 5600e feels nice - almost the same as the DW on the inside. the outside of the strap is raised where as the strap is lower on the DW. feels good!

Any comment on the SIG in the alarm mode I can toggle the bell for an hourly chime, but what is the :00 under for? thx. for the feedback & replies..

Quote Originally Posted by Jim R View Post
    Well they say 8 months on a full charge. so well see! I've bought 4 DW-5600E's since they came out with them and found one would last 5yrs. another 3yrs. I use the countdown timer for medication reminders 4 times a day. I have the DW set at a 4 hour countdown. I must have read the wrong page, because the GW is a 60min. countdown! As an old friend on this forum once said who needed a DW for the same reason (meds): "Why can't Casio make them all with a 24hr. countdown?" But I'll deal with it... As for sound, if I put my hand on my knee with the watch on. I can't hear the GW. (the DW yes) Don't need it to wake me up! Just a med reminder. (when your over 60yrs. -- it happens)
    Thanks for the video link, will check it out!
    The resin between the GW and the DW 5600e feels nice - almost the same as the DW on the inside. the outside of the strap is raised where as the strap is lower on the DW. feels good!

Any comment on the SIG in the alarm mode I can toggle the bell for an hourly chime, but what is the :00 under for? thx. for the feedback & replies..
    I think the general consensus around here is that a properly cared for CTL1616 should last many, many years. By properly cared for i mean, never fully discharging it, keeping it exposed to light often and keeping it at fully charged battery level. Citizen claims a lifespan of at least 20yrs is to be expected from their MTL920 cell in their Eco Drive line, which is solar recharged aswell. IIRC, The MTL920 citizen uses is a slightly different chemistry than the CTL1616, but im just mentioning that as a reference point.

I think the :00 in regards to the signal is to further indicate what the signal is for, :00= like the minutes at the top of the hour.
    Jer

"I'm hip about time"

I think the general consensus around here is that a properly cared for CTL1616 should last many, many years. By properly cared for i mean, never fully discharging it, keeping it exposed to light often and keeping it at fully charged battery level. Citizen claims a lifespan of at least 20yrs is to be expected from their MTL920 cell in their Eco Drive line, which is solar recharged aswell. IIRC, The MTL920 citizen uses is a slightly different chemistry than the CTL1616, but im just mentioning that as a reference point.

I think the :00 in regards to the signal is to further indicate what the signal is for, :00= like the minutes at the top of the hour.
    I agree with the general consensus of the forum! and I'll have it exposed to sunlight appx: every day. (not hard to do in arizona) just saw the video clip you sent. Not Bad. Will leave this battery in there. Down the road will see if it becomes an issue? But I think your right, it will last a long time with the proper care & exposure to sunlight daily!
    Since I use the countdown timer almost four/five times a day set at 4 hrs. + the Light on the DW5600's it does tend to drain the battery faster than others. I"ve changed 3-4 of them! Had a button issue here on a DW - but with the help of the forum members, fixed it.... thx. for your replies & comments! I'm off to a late supper. See you down the Log.. best regards, Jim

Have had my GW5600-1J since 2006 and was an every day watch I wore since 2012 before I bought other Gs. Still on same battery and it's running like a champ. I also bought 2 backups back in 2006 that don't get a lot of light and are at medium but I figure since there werent a lot of charge/discharge cycles with these spares, they will last long long time.

Out of all the G's I have now, I think I still have a soft spot for the GW5600-1J and it is still one of my favorites. I did just buy a GW5000 and wore it for 2 days. I can appreciate why other people like the extra weight of the stainless steel case with DLC coating, but I think I STILL prefer the GW5600-1J. Does everything and looks like an exact copy of it. Most people like the extra weight of the GW5000 but I find it is a negative in that I like my watches a bit loose on my wrist, so with the extra weight of the GW5000 it will swivel on my wrist and not stay put. I like a slightly loose GW5600-1J so I can rotate it on my wrist if I have to wear work gloves, but it stays put wherever I put it.
    Last edited by tic-toc/g-shock; December 20th, 2012 at 06:25.

Quote Originally Posted by tic-toc/g-shock View Post
    Have had my GW5600-1J since 2006 and was an every day watch I wore since 2012 before I bought other Gs. Still on same battery and it's running like a champ. I also bought 2 backups back in 2006 that don't get a lot of light and are at medium but I figure since there werent a lot of charge/discharge cycles with these spares, they will last long long time.

Out of all the G's I have now, I think I still have a soft spot for the GW5600-1J and it is still one of my favorites. I did just buy a GW5000 and wore it for 2 days. I can appreciate why other people like the extra weight of the stainless steel case with DLC coating, but I think I STILL prefer the GW5600-1J. Does everything and looks like an exact copy of it. Most people like the extra weight of the GW5000 but I find it is a negative in that I like my watches a bit loose on my wrist, so with the extra weight of the GW5000 it will swivel on my wrist and not stay put. I like a slightly loose GW5600-1J so I can rotate it on my wrist if I have to wear work gloves, but it stays put wherever I put it.
    Thanks for the update!! I gave my GW two hours of direct sunlight today! The bars that were on the display are still gone! Only 1 bar on the far right! I hope that normal?
    Did a manual synch. at 3pm & is still on the money! 10:45pm now. I have it set for auto for DEN. no DST. will leave it alone for the night & check it thursday morning. See how it received a WWVB signal. I to like the size & shape of this watch! Fits like a glove...take care !! thx. for the reply...Jim

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by Jim R View Post
    Thanks for the update!! I gave my GW two hours of direct sunlight today! The bars that were on the display are still gone! Only 1 bar on the far right! [U]I hope that normal?

That rightmost bar is on top of the [H] indicator, it means your watch's battery is on high
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information