Newby

Thread: Newby

Newby

Hi,

I'm a newby. Despite being a regular visitor to Sjor's site (and various others), I have never (NEVER) posted on a watch forum.

I'm rather a late starter. Started off with cheap Casios (not entirely sure what, but F91 rings a bell), moved onto Sekondas when I started noticing divers, and finally, (FINALLY) bought a proper watch (a Seiko SKX033) at the ripe old age of 29. Shortly after this my wife was careless enough to fall pregnant, so, wanting something capable of dealing with water AND poo, and not knowing any better I bought myself a 'Club-G' (without carrying out any research on g's, sorry all), thinking they were al the same. Only in the last few months have I discovered a Club-G is tiny in comparison with the real thing.

In the meantime I have obtained a Seiko SNK809, as a dress watch (I replaced the nylon strap with a Hirsch-esque black leather strap, with contrasting stitching), and spent a lot of time considering various options. After deciding that all divers are, essentially, the same, and as I have one, one more would be pointless, I started looking at G's again and realised how wrong I'd been. I now have a DW-6900. Last of the real G's if you ask me.

What prompted this was that tonight I have bought a DW-5600E. I understand the draw of a DW-5600C, but I want to use this watch, and couldn't afford to wear a real one every day! What if I broke it?!?!?! Besides, I prefer an EL and would prbably get frustrated with not being able to see the time on my £100 watch. .

Anyway, point is, where next? I have my eye on an Black Monster with a resin strap, but I want another G. BUT, I want one that doesn't look like the ones I have. Any ideas?

Re: Newby

There's quite a few that don't look like the ones you've got. There's the G8000's, Mudman, lots of ana/digis, loads. You'll spot something just hovering round here.

I have a black monster btw. They're cool.
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

G8000 does look different, but I want something a bit more timeless.

The G9000 Mudman is, possibly, the only G I am giving ANY serious thought to. Ideally I want a 'classic', I can wear every day.

Well done re the Monster though. Nice, generally (ie outside of the WIS community) underrated watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A warm welcome, David!

Well, you've just bought one and you're thinking about the next... you realise this is a bad sign? And that the forum has 'Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here' above the door?

Decide what you want from a watch. Basic models such as the 6900 and 5600E have all the essential features (stopwatch, 24-hours countdown timer, time visible in all modes, etc) but some of the fancier models don't. If the basic models appeal, then the 9052 and 6600 would be good targets.

If you fancy solar power, then the 2300 series are solid workhorses. If you want something more recent, then the Mudman models may appeal.

The 'watch of the moment' is the Gulfman. The non-atomic model is available in much of the world, and the atomic model will be widely available soon.

The G-8000, as has been suggested, is a very well specified alternative to the traditional models.

If you find the module number of watches that interest you, go to the Casio website and download the instructions - these will tell you all you need to know about the functions.

And let us know how you get on.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Welcome David!

Another n00b here!

Just wanted to say good luck in the search for a watch to wear everyday!
    Had the problem my self recently but I settled for the PRG80.. not a G but it fell in my taste.

Besides.. who ever said you need just ONE everyday watch ;)

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Shortly after this my wife was careless enough to fall pregnant, so, wanting something capable of dealing with water AND poo
    *Still laughing here!! Hahaha.. I have to show my gf this! ;) *
    /CutePape
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.” - James Byron Dean

Wink Re: Newby

Hi David,

Welcome to our G-Shock forum. You think you are late with your age of 29? I bought my first G-Shock in 2000, so I was almost 34. I was only thinking of buying 2 and had no idea there was so much different G's to find. I found a nice BPM model not soon later (I just retired as a DJ and still was an active musician at that time), and I also found a great Gaussman a month later ina sale. When I bought a 12 CB model about a month later and I discovered internet auctions I was sold.....

I think with the last of the real G-Shock's models, you refer to what is called "Capsule Tough". These are the models like the DW-6600/6900 and the DW-001/002/003/004/90XX models. They were succeeded by the G-2XX0 series and more exotic designs with changing succes. Although for a short time I thought it was the end of the G-Shock's I liked, I must say that the new G-9000, G-5500 and G-9100 (and their GW- Waveceptor versions) come close to the Capsule Tough concept. Although at first I didn't like the Cockpit models, I was sold in 2003, when I saw German tourists in Gent, Belgium wearing those. They look very sturdy in real with those metal protection bars.

Well, Club-G's are not bad and small. It just depends on who's wearing them You will get used to the poo and pee and if it's over a wonderful time starts. You can always pass your Club-G to him or her

Cheers,

Sjors
    Last edited by Sjors; August 19th, 2007 at 10:47.
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

I bought my first G-Shock at 41. Although I've always been fascinated by watches, I didn't really know much about them until this last year. One of the things I like about this 'hobby' is that age is totally irrelevant. There are people from teenage to retirement age sharing the same enthusiasm for the same watches.
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

Well I just purchased my first one and only G at the ripe old age of 50. So old dogs can learn new tricks. I went with the Mudman, tough, solid, take a punch, all sorts of gizmos, looks cool, and is SO comfortable.

I like it so much I sold off a few of my high end mechanicals this weekend, and am going shopping for at least 2 more Mudmans by the end of the day.

Thread Information