the next new RANGMAN GPR-B1000 ===>800$ ? - Page 42
Like Tree2315Likes

Thread: the next new RANGMAN GPR-B1000 ===>800$ ?

Page 42 of 166 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 92 142 ... LastLast

Re: the next new RANGMAN GPR-B1000 ===>800$ ?

Quote Originally Posted by DanielJB View Post
    I find it hard to believe there is no in depth review of the GPS function of this watch yet. Surely someone has had a chance to play with the GPS function on this watch somewhere in the world and can give an opinion of whether its a viable option to use in the field.
    Yeah I agree.

I'm getting annoyed because I've been following the development of this watch since October 2017. I have had a few red flags in my mind, in terms of GPS functionality so I really want to know if it is viable too.

Watching members here who have the watch and I ask "How does the GPS work?" only to then have people bring up the strap or the color of the screws or the buckle is really frustrating. All I need to know is that it will provide a solar powered GPS that I can use to trace my way back to my basecamp when I'm out hunting and allow me to see the trail I have followed without a Goal point set.

the next new RANGMAN GPR-B1000 ===>800$ ?

Quote Originally Posted by bulbanator View Post
    I am interested to hear a review of the GPS features. I have asked numerous times but people seem to be more preoccupied with the strap and other trivial aspects.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielJB View Post
    I find it hard to believe there is no in depth review of the GPS function of this watch yet. Surely someone has had a chance to play with the GPS function on this watch somewhere in the world and can give an opinion of whether its a viable option to use in the field.
    What's the hurry gents ? you will be getting the new Ranger soon according to my list ( No 17 & 19 ) Just be patient - Btw I'll be getting mine end of next week So many other ( regular posters ) here Just stay put

... order list of the GPR-B1000

1) mtb2104
    2) kubr1ck
    3) T4P
    4) DSD
    5) Pedronev85
    6) grinch_actual
    7) GregNYC
    8) batooo
    9) Joeri
    10) jomar
    11) F Jay Iceberg
    12) T3C
    13) jskibo
    14) Peter Lalic
    15) konakai
    16) Cowboy Bebop
    17) DanielJB
    18) Piowa
    19) bulbanator
    20) BACKBLAST72
    21) Myrrhman
    22) casiofool
    Myrrhman likes this.

T3C

the next new RANGMAN GPR-B1000 ===>800$ ?

Yeah I agree.

I'm getting annoyed because I've been following the development of this watch since October 2017. I have had a few red flags in my mind, in terms of GPS functionality so I really want to know if it is viable too.

Watching members here who have the watch and I ask "How does the GPS work?" only to then have people bring up the strap or the color of the screws or the buckle is really frustrating. All I need to know is that it will provide a solar powered GPS that I can use to trace my way back to my basecamp when I'm out hunting and allow me to see the trail I have followed without a Goal point set.
    1. The watch has just reached the hands of the consumers. For sure a few will test drive it over the weekends. So be patient I am sure someone will be able to answer your questions

2. It’s a G-SHOCK with self charging. I have Fenix as well and I am quite sure it is more versatile. But self charging via solar is what beats the Garmin.

3. As for whether you can get back to your base camp. Short answer is yes. Will it automatically bread crumbs it for you? from what I have tried, no. You have to manually drop your crumbs

Hope the above helped

Edit: I could be wrong about the trails. It shows up in the activity log on the phone. But the distance that I demo was too short to be displayed on the phone even if it could be done. Will need to go on a long hike to confirm that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by T3C; March 11th, 2018 at 08:55.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yeah I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    I guess you're just gonna have to buy one and do it yourself, amiright?

[QUOTE=Deepsea_dweller;45498643]What's the hurry gents ? you will be getting the new Ranger soon according to my list ( No 17 & 19 ) Just be patient - Btw I'll be getting mine end of next week So many other ( regular posters ) here Just stay put

Kubr1ck and Deepsea Dweller, patience is not a virtue of mine unfortunately �� I have paid the funds I am just waiting for the Dealer to get a date from Casio to send to England and then onto Australia. This watch after owning all the Fenix models and many other GPS instruments could be an amazing piece of kit to have with the solar power function, so I am interested in how the GPS function is going to work and how it works. Also to have basic watch functions without having to charge every two weeks automatically makes it more practical than my Fenix 5 - I really have been wanting a solar power GPS watch for a while.

Bulbanator I guess you are on the list too and exactly like you I want to know when I am in the middle of no-where on a 3 day hunt whether or not it will get me back to basecamp. My Garmin Fenix 5 runs out of battery regularly and even though I have back up AA battery garmin GPS and battery packs, the thought of a solar power GPS watch in an emergency is very appealing. After paying a $1000 Aussie dollars in good faith for this watch I would love to know if the GPS is actually practical or not.
    Last edited by DanielJB; March 11th, 2018 at 14:25.

Yeah I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    I guess you're just gonna have to buy one and do it yourself, amiright?

Quote Originally Posted by Deepsea_dweller View Post
    What's the hurry gents ? you will be getting the new Ranger soon according to my list ( No 17 & 19 ) Just be patient - Btw I'll be getting mine end of next week So many other ( regular posters ) here Just stay put

Kubr1ck and Deepsea Dweller, patience is not a virtue of mine unfortunately 😊 I have paid the funds I am just waiting for the Dealer to get a date from Casio to send to England and then onto Australia. This watch after owning all the Fenix models and many other GPS instruments could be an amazing piece of kit to have with the solar power function, so I am interested in how the GPS function is going to work and how it works. Also to have basic watch functions without having to charge every two weeks automatically makes it more practical than my Fenix 5 - I really have been wanting a solar power GPS watch for a while.

Bulbanator I guess you are on the list too and exactly like you I want to know when I am in the middle of no-where on a 3 day hunt whether or not it will get me back to basecamp. My Garmin Fenix 5 runs out of battery regularly and even though I have back up AA battery garmin GPS and battery packs, the thought of a solar power GPS watch in an emergency is very appealing. After paying a $1000 Aussie dollars in good faith for this watch I would love to know if the GPS is actually practical or not.

Quote Originally Posted by T3C View Post

3. As for whether you can get back to your base camp. Short answer is yes. Will it automatically bread crumbs it for you? from what I have tried, no. You have to manually drop your crumbs
    If the watch can't independently (without cellphone) do an automatic breadcrumb trail, I fail to see its practicality. Breadcrumb followed by trackback is as basic as basic gets for any GPS device.
    cal..45 and cman1120 like this.

Waiting for the price to drop to 600$ or so

Quote Originally Posted by moonbooter View Post
    If the watch can't independently (without cellphone) do an automatic breadcrumb trail, I fail to see its practicality. Breadcrumb followed by trackback is as basic as basic gets for any GPS device.
    The Rangeman is able to backtrack a route that has been travelled earlier. It than navigates back using all the breadcrumbs.

Unless a watch has built-in maps of some kind, I don't think it is possible for a GPS watch to automatically create a breadcrumb route to a previously stored location or manually entered coördinates completely on its own.
    At least my Forerunner 935 can't. When I select navigate to saved location it just gives me a straight line with remaining distance and heading.
    I know the Fenix 5X can, since it has offline maps. Other options remaining are a PC or smartphone in order to create a route and to upload it to the watch so it can be used later.

The thing I really hope will be implemented in the future is that the G-Shock app can create an automatic route when entering only the start and finish.
    Right now, as far as the demo shows me, you have to tap every single point manually.
    They might want to take a look at Garmin/Suunto etc how they let you create a route very easily.
    Last edited by Hitec; March 11th, 2018 at 15:36.
    Casio Pro Trek PRW-3000
    Casio G-Shock GW-9400 Rangeman

Casio G-Shock GW-2000

Quote Originally Posted by Hitec View Post
    The Rangeman is able to backtrack a route that has been travelled earlier. It than navigates back using all the breadcrumbs.

Unless a watch has built-in maps of some kind, I don't think it is possible for a GPS watch to automatically create a breadcrumb route to a previously stored location or manually entered coördinates completely on its own.
    At least my Forerunner 935 can't. When I select navigate to saved location it just gives me a straight line with remaining distance and heading.
    I know the Fenix 5X can, since it has offline maps. Other options remaining are a PC or smartphone in order to create a route and to upload it to the watch so it can be used later.
    My Fenix 3 has no built-in maps. When I hike, with a press of a button I obtain GPS contact and start walking for hours. Breadcrumb are done automatically every second with North direction clearly shown. I can zoom in/out at any time. Backtrack on breadcrumbs can easily be done with or without direction arrows.

The manual for this watch (not a computer-translated thing) should be released any day now. That will answer all such questions and more.

To be 100% honest, I think for most people, the GPS Nav functions are mostly a gimmick, rather than truly needed. I realize that's not true for everyone. However, I hunted for many years in my younger days, in heavily wooded areas. When you do that for years, you learn to pay attention to your surroundings and the terrain, and watch for landmarks that you can recall later. I never even needed a compass, and never got lost.

If it's a true (or possible) survival situation, you should never bet your life on a device, whether Casio, or Garmin, or whatever. It can be used as an aid, sure. But if you are relying on it 100%, you might be in for trouble.

That said, I understand the desire for a trackback capability and I'm sure the Rangeman provides it. Whether it does so automatically or not....don't know. The all-powerful manual will reveal ALL.
    WES51 and STavros78 like this.
    Casio G-shock
    MRG-G1000B-1ADR, MTG-B1000TF-1AJR, GMW-B5000TCM-1, GMW-B5000TFC-1, GMW-B5000D-1, GMW-B5000GD-9, GMW-B5000V-1, GMW-B5000G-1, GPR-B1000-1, GPR-B1000-1B, GWG-1000-1A, GW-9400-1, GW-9400DCJ-1, GW-9400BTJ-8, GW-9401KJ-3JR, GW-5000-1JF, GW-B5600FB-4JR, GW-B5600HR-1, GW-B5600BC-1B, GXW-56BB-1JF, GXW-56-1BJF, GW-3000M-4A, DW-5035D-1B, DW-5600BB (x2), DW-5600E (x2), DW-5600EG-9V, DW-5600CL-1, GW-M5610TR-7JF, DW-5600MS, GLS-5600CL-1, GLS-5600CL-3, DW-6930, GA-100MM-8A, G100BB-1A, GLS-6900-9JF, G-8900SC, GD-350-1B, GD-400-9CS, DW-6900MS, GD-120CM-4, GD-X6900CM-5, GLS-8900CM-2, GW-002KA.
    Casio Protrek/Pathfinder
    PAG-240B-2, PRW-2500R-1, PRW-3100FC-1JF, PRX-8000T-7AJF.
    Casio AE-1200 (x2)
    Casio W217H-1A
    MDV106-1A
    MTD1080-7A

Page 42 of 166 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 92 142 ... LastLast

Thread Information