No digital gps solar watch?
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: No digital gps solar watch?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

No digital gps solar watch?

Why is there no digital watch which can determine time zone by location and time synchronise with GPS satellites? We have Casio analogs, Seiko analogs, Citizen analogs with this feature set now. Why no digitals?

Re: No digital gps solar watch?

IMO,

Most likely because Casio can. They charge a premium price for an upscale premium analog watch that can absorb the cost of adding the technology to that watch. I agree, digital would /could/should be more practical for such a technology.
    Last edited by Rocat; September 23rd, 2015 at 02:52.
    Time4Playnow likes this.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

There is a rumor said to originate from this years Basel world that the first digital watch with GPS is going to be the next generation Frogman. But this is a weak rumor so do not know how much credit it should be given. But given the Frogman is the most premium digital G it would make sense if it was! The Frogman is the oldest Master Of G in the third generation Masters, going on its 6 Th year. The past generation GW-200 Frogman had a 8 year life span (2001-2009) so if it is the same for this GWF-1000 Frogman then perhaps we will see it in Basel World 2017???

Another possibility is that we will see a digital MRG presented at Basel Wold next year, since 2016 is MRG 20 Th anniversary and the first generation MRG where digital squares. So an all digital metal MRG with GPS time sync for 2016? Maybe maybe...
    Last edited by Joakim Agren; September 23rd, 2015 at 03:14.
    aalin13, domoon, r00t61 and 1 others like this.
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Joakim Agren View Post
    There is a rumor said to originate from this years Basel world that the first digital watch with GPS is going to be the next generation Frogman. But this is a weak rumor so do not know how much credit it should be given. But given the Frogman is the most premium digital G it would make sense if it was! The Frogman is the oldest Master Of G in the third generation Masters, going on its 6 Th year. The past generation GW-200 Frogman had a 8 year life span (2001-2009) so if it is the same for this GWF-1000 Frogman then perhaps we will see it in Basel World 2017???

Another possibility is that we will see a digital MRG presented at Basel Wold next year, since 2016 is MRG 20 Th anniversary and the first generation MRG where digital squares. So an all digital metal MRG with GPS time sync for 2016? Maybe maybe...
    Love the way you provide us with industry knowledge and rumours :)

GPS Frog makes a lot of sense, although 2017 is still so long away, I really wish this is true. Interesting perspective about a digital MRG, I find that a bit hard to believe though as Casio is pushing for analogue = premium right now. Would love for it to be true, even if it is just a limited edition watch. May be they'll do what they did with GPW/MRG-G1000 by releasing a new Frogman and a new digital MRG sharing similar modules with GPS capability

Determining time zone by GPS would be inaccurate politically due to so many areas using a time differential different from the geographic differential.....India, China, Russia, Iceland, Afganistan, parts of the US and Canada, etc...the list is long.

Time Zone Map, World Time Zones Map
    Last edited by yankeexpress; September 23rd, 2015 at 03:41.
    domoon likes this.

maybe it would get too big? more power hungry? who knows.

there are of cos digital gps watches but no solar.

Quote Originally Posted by Everdying View Post
    maybe it would get too big? more power hungry? who knows.

there are of cos digital gps watches but no solar.
    I might be wrong here, but I'd have thought that analogue watches are more power hungry than digital watches, as multiple motors are used to power all the hands

Quote Originally Posted by Joakim Agren View Post

I think they should focus on adding a depth gauge to the Frogman instead of GPS. It isn't exactly the sort of what a jet setter would wear.

Quote Originally Posted by aalin13 View Post
    I might be wrong here, but I'd have thought that analogue watches are more power hungry than digital watches, as multiple motors are used to power all the hands
    i would think the difference comes down to if it has a second hand or not.
    then to how much power is consumed moving the minute hand 6x / min, vs the always on LCD.

i really dont think there is much difference anyway.
    some digital gshocks have 10yr battery life.
    some analog seikos also have 10yr battery life.

But seriously though, wouldn't it be dead simple for Casio to make a G-Shock with a digital display, keep the GPS receiver and possibly the 6 band atomic time radio receivers in as well? If they can do it in analogue, why aren't they/haven't they yet done it in digital? I am sure that the power requirements of the digital would be lower than for the analogues, which all have second hands to drive.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information