Non-G Questions

Thread: Non-G Questions

Non-G Questions

Posted this in affordables, but maybe it's more appropriate here:

I have a Casio f91(old school classic) in mind for my next purchase ($12 - mega affordable). I noticed it is a little smaller case than my beloved w71 (great watch). Is that the only size difference? Are the straps the same length? The w71 fits me just right, so a shorter strap would be a problem.

I believe the f91 is 18mm and the w71 is 19mm, but are they equal in length. If not, I could just find a longer strap, but there lies a problem.

Does anyone know how to replace the straps on these watches? There are holes on the lug sides, but it appears to be rods not pins that hold the strap to the case.

P.S. Any f91 fans out there?

Re: Non-G Questions

The W-71, it's one of my favorites--same module as the classic 5600C (as far as I can tell, I don't know I don't actually own a 5600C--yet). It's thin, light, the buttons are easy to push, and thanks to its lack of EL backlight, the display has the best contrast of any of my Casios (and the backlight itself is pretty bright, for a lightbulb). And most useful of all (if you need it), it has the dual-time mode. It also has a 24 hour stopwatch and timer, and you can set the date for the alarm. All the goodies of the classic G-Shock module, and the gloriously vintage reminder function.

On the downside: The flat band is a bit stuffy, and the buckle itchy. The module is a bit quirky too, the light button is used to toggle the alarms, and reset the chronograph and timer, so it's a bit tricky in the dark. And, interestingly, there's only one beep tone, so it doesn't tell you when it goes back to the timekeeping mode.

But the big dealbreaker: it doesn't show the time in the stopwatch mode.

I used to have the F-91, but I didn't like it and returned it. Looking at the manual (which I finally found here), I thought it was just a bit too simple: no timer, 60 minute stopwatch (and no time display either), can't set the date for the alarm, and no "adjust" button!? Madness!

The pins, you can just push them out; I used a nail. I saw someone posted a pic with one on a military nylon band; with the hooded lugs, I thought it looked pretty ugly. I'm curious to try, I bet it would be more comfortable (you'd need a narrow one though, 18mm).

I'm actually trying to go more upmarket, the W-720, http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/wat...n/w-720-1vser/
    Similar to the W-71, but more durable overall: mineral glass (versus plastic), hooded buttons, and 100m (versus 50m).
    It seems to be Europe-only, I'm just trying to figure out how to get one to the US.

Pay a bluish oak.

i got both the w-71 and the w-720 and the f91 too.

the f91 looks cool but the module is too cheap made. and its not even marked as 50m WR. if its not for collection the f91 is not recommended by me.

the w-71 and w-720 have the same module, but the second has 100m WR and is overall thicker and more solid, its a great watch, and there is not much choice in the 100m WR standard watches from casio (if you want a watch that has a classic look!). its not as big as the 5600 series, but still looks not childish.

actually i dont wear both of them much, cause if i want a simple watch with great features the dw-5600e is my choice any time.

in your case i recommend the w-720!
    regards,
    gerry fonklover

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

or buy W-800H, maybe the best non-G Casio digital, (normal size, not micro like F-91W, 10 years battery, 100 m WR, EL, about $ 16 )

If your looking for a more substantial inexpensive replacement for the W71 check out the Casio W93H-1AV.

Downsides - 50M water resistance, acrylic crystal. Upsides - 24 hr stopwatch with target time function (you can set the stopwatch to beep when the programmed elapsed time is reached), 24 hr countdown timer settable to the second with auto repeat, daily alarm, dual time, 12/24 hr time, hourly time signal, 5th light button, substantial carbon fiber looking resin band, auto EL. Current time is visible in all modes. EL backlight lights the display not the face of the watch. Also the watch returns to the timekeeping mode after programming another function. Around $20 from eBay or Amazon.

So are the straps the same length on all three? I thought the 18mm straps might be shorter than the 19mm.
    Last edited by danben; September 14th, 2009 at 22:22. Reason: Removed quote

Thread Information