NON SOLAR, NON RADIO SIGNAL GRAVITY
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: NON SOLAR, NON RADIO SIGNAL GRAVITY

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NON SOLAR, NON RADIO SIGNAL GRAVITY

I am looking to add another G for my collection. I live in Australia and don't receive the Atomic time signals from Asia. The sun where I live is like a furnace so I am not looking for a solar watch either. I don't really feel buying a G with these features is worth it, so my collection is without.

I currently don't own a G with hands and it seems the only one that perks my interest is this model:

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-03-18 at 3.29.37 PM.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  68.1 KBThe white dial appeals to me most. The other models, pictured below have a negative digital screen which appears difficult to read.

I would like to hear from any member who has one of these please. Comments favourable and unfavourable.

The model is GA-1000-2A Module 5302

Battery power is 2 X SR927W which is a bit strange.

Cheers
    Stevie
    CHRIS_FRENCH likes this.

Re: NON SOLAR, NON RADIO SIGNAL GRAVITY

How about the GA1100, the slightly updated version of the GA1000?

Here's the blue and positive variant in current Casio release (may not be in stores yet). See Starscream's thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/g-s...s-2829650.html

Name:  ga1100models.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  82.5 KB

See also my review of the GA1100 (negative green version): https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/tho...l#post23205713

Quote Originally Posted by STEVIE View Post
    I am looking to add another G for my collection. I live in Australia and don't receive the Atomic time signals from Asia. The sun where I live is like a furnace so I am not looking for a solar watch either. I don't really feel buying a G with these features is worth it, so my collection is without.

I currently don't own a G with hands and it seems the only one that perks my interest is this model:

he other models, pictured below have a negative digital screen which appears difficult to read.

I would like to hear from any member who has one of these please. Comments favourable and unfavourable.

The model is GA-1000-2A Module 5302

Battery power is 2 X SR927W which is a bit strange.

Cheers
    Stevie
    While I am not very fond of negative displays because of readability, for this one i don't find it a major problem. You can get the time at a glance from the hands. The other things are not unreadable either. It is more difficult to do it at a glance, but it works well enough, after all these read outs aren't needed that often. (If yes, use a proper digital watch.) Readability of the lcd is more hampered by their size. Furthermore, in low light situations neither positve nor negative lcd is readable, as the GA1000 doesn't light them. On the pro side, it has the fantastic UV illuminator, charging up the Lume without blinding you. Very recommendable.

Besides the looks, there is a good reason to get it with negative displays. The positive displays are in the way reading the time from the hands as they are clutter. Looking at it, it was clearly designed with negative dials in mind. No designer would have considered that frowning face with LCDs contrasting the dial colour.

additions:
    Battery power is the weak side of it. It only has a two year battery, and in my experience Casio is a bit optimistic with those expectations. This one also has sensors and a large area to illuminate. More battery volume means more capacity.

I've to add, this would have been my favourite analogue G. I tried it on once, and loved it. Not too cluttered, high contrast readout. Innovative illumination. Nice functions, a compass really is useful. A thermometer can be useful at times. Comfortable band. Not too heavy. Wears smaller than expected. I should have bought it on a whim, were it solar/atomic.
    Last edited by sdog; March 18th, 2016 at 08:41.
    Watch_Geekmaster and domoon like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sdog View Post
    While I am not very fond of negative displays because of readability, for this one i don't find it a major problem. You can get the time at a glance from the hands. The other things are not unreadable either. It is more difficult to do it at a glance, but it works well enough, after all these read outs aren't needed that often. (If yes, use a proper digital watch.) Readability of the lcd is more hampered by their size. Furthermore, in low light situations neither positve nor negative lcd is readable, as the GA1000 doesn't light them. On the pro side, it has the fantastic UV illuminator, charging up the Lume without blinding you. Very recommendable.

Besides the looks, there is a good reason to get it with negative displays. The positive displays are in the way reading the time from the hands as they are clutter. Looking at it, it was clearly designed with negative dials in mind. No designer would have considered that frowning face with LCDs contrasting the dial colour.

additions:
    Battery power is the weak side of it. It only has a two year battery, and in my experience Casio is a bit optimistic with those expectations. This one also has sensors and a large area to illuminate. More battery volume means more capacity.

I've to add, this would have been my favourite analogue G. I tried it on once, and loved it. Not too cluttered, high contrast readout. Innovative illumination. Nice functions, a compass really is useful. A thermometer can be useful at times. Comfortable band. Not too heavy. Wears smaller than expected. I should have bought it on a whim, were it solar/atomic.

Good comment about the negative displays in this model. (it has the fantastic UV illuminator, charging up the Lume without blinding you) that's good to know as well!

ACG

Often looked at the top model as it's good value but I can't get passed the sad face it has.

Looks like by 6 month son when he's upset :(
    domoon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ACG View Post
    Often looked at the top model as it's good value but I can't get passed the sad face it has.

Looks like by 6 month son when he's upset :(
    I'll bet you can see faces in clouds as well!
    BeaVis PaLigis likes this.

Moderator G-Shock Forum

I think the weird battery setup is probably based on limited internal space of multi-motor watches.
    Anyhow, here my pics of watch and blurry lume pic.

The additional features are working on my one, with the compass the most usefull.

domoon likes this.

I would say get one!

It is a nice watch. I have the GA-1000-1A. The negative display is hard to read though but the reading of the time is ok since the hands and markers are white against the black dial, which makes it easy to read.

One thing to note though if you are considering the GA-1100 model, is that the stopwatch only goes up to 60mins.

I wanted to add the GA-1100 to my collection but that was a deal breaker. To me the GA-1100 is not an upgrade as it has that stopwatch limitation and regular LED for the lights.

By the way, besides this GA-1000 model have you also considered a non-GShock model with a similar module? Like the Pro Trek PRG280 series?

They carry the same functions as the GA-1000 but with the added flexibility of allowing for customised straps like zulus and natos. And they are as tough as the GShock.

I had the orange and black GA-1000 for two weeks before the UV backlight quit and I had to return it. Overall, I liked the watch very much and it made me appreciate the analog/digital aspect of this series of watches over the pure analog G-Shocks in the aviator line: the timer is better, the stopwatch is better, the compass worked well, and the volume of the beeps is much stronger than any solar G. I found the negative LCD to be crisp and readable. It was at the time the first negative LCD I'd ever owned and I was pleasantly surprised at how legible it was considering all the negative review comments. It fit very comfortably on my wrist and I liked it a lot. It's a fairly large watch,but smaller than the Rangeman, Gulfmaster, or Mudmaster. Aside from the failure of the backlight (the first time any Casio has ever broken on me in eighteen years, and I currently own six of them) was the poor contrast between the black/orange/light green hands and the black face. The brochure photos are all photoshopped to brighten the color and contrast. In reality the orange is quite muted and I found telling time at a glance was not optimal.

Lume -- a Casio weak point -- is well, weak. The UV backlight did light up the face nicely but was too short in duration and any "charging" of the lume faded quite quickly. Of course, I'm typing this while wearing a Seiko Orange Monster on my wrist so almost all watches pale in comparison with the nuclear glow that Seiko provides on many of their watches.

If I were to get one again (I replaced it with a solar/atomic GW-3500 which cost a little bit more) I would opt for the variant with white hands on a black face. It's the least fun in regards to color, but it has the best legibility in all lighting conditions. The white-faced one you are considering looks like it would work pretty well, too.
    Last edited by Lee_K; March 19th, 2016 at 05:48.
    sdog and STEVIE like this.

Quote Originally Posted by StupidNinja View Post
    I would say get one!

It is a nice watch. I have the GA-1000-1A. The negative display is hard to read though but the reading of the time is ok since the hands and markers are white against the black dial, which makes it easy to read.

One thing to note though if you are considering the GA-1100 model, is that the stopwatch only goes up to 60mins.

I wanted to add the GA-1100 to my collection but that was a deal breaker. To me the GA-1100 is not an upgrade as it has that stopwatch limitation and regular LED for the lights.

By the way, besides this GA-1000 model have you also considered a non-GShock model with a similar module? Like the Pro Trek PRG280 series?

They carry the same functions as the GA-1000 but with the added flexibility of allowing for customised straps like zulus and natos. And they are as tough as the GShock.

Yes I agree with you about the GA 1100. Not my choice either and it's a whole lot more money. A 60 min SW is a waste of time. My GLS 8900 has two SW each of which is 100 hours. More an einsatzzeitmesser that a stopwatch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information